SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:46 PM
Sage Icon

stuttering HD playback

I filed a bug on this, but thought I was ask here also.

Since ~release 6.1 I have had times where my HD playback stutters during playback on my client. When this happens I look at the server I can see that the sagetvservice is hammering the hard drives.

I turned on debugging and it looks like Sage is stuck in a loop of checking the import library, and the keep at most settings. It just keeps doing this over and over.

If I reboot the server it works great for a couple days, then at sometime it will start this cycle again.

Ideas anyone?

I have not make any OS changes to my box for a couple years, although I did up the memory to 1GB hoping this would help, but it did not. If I could figure out how to keep sage from doing the "housework" while I'm watching a show I'd be ok.

thanks
Old 01-15-2008, 01:01 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingHDTV View Post
I filed a bug on this, but thought I was ask here also.

Since ~release 6.1 I have had times where my HD playback stutters during playback on my client. When this happens I look at the server I can see that the sagetvservice is hammering the hard drives.

I turned on debugging and it looks like Sage is stuck in a loop of checking the import library, and the keep at most settings. It just keeps doing this over and over.

If I reboot the server it works great for a couple days, then at sometime it will start this cycle again.

Ideas anyone?

I have not make any OS changes to my box for a couple years, although I did up the memory to 1GB hoping this would help, but it did not. If I could figure out how to keep sage from doing the "housework" while I'm watching a show I'd be ok.

thanks

Any chance you have your DTV set to record Transport Streams instead of Program Streams (default)?

I had another issue where I was told by sage to us TS. fixed the problem, but every time sage sent to make a video thumbnail of a file that was recorded as a TS, my CPU would peg qo 90%, the hard drive would go crazy for about 5 minutes until it figured out the picture.

stacy
Old 01-15-2008, 05:24 PM
Sage Icon

Interesting, a few months ago I switched from ps to ts. Maybe that is what broke everything. I'll switch back and see how it goes.

thanks,
Old 01-15-2008, 06:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

Where do I find the PS/TS setting and what do they stand for? I too am having trouble with the HD and would like to try this adjustment.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:04 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingHDTV View Post
Interesting, a few months ago I switched from ps to ts. Maybe that is what broke everything. I'll switch back and see how it goes.

thanks,
Yes but keep in mind that the files are already set as TS. You'd have to delete every one of them to make the problem go away. The setting only affects new recordings.

Stacy
Old 01-15-2008, 07:06 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskitty666 View Post
Where do I find the PS/TS setting and what do they stand for? I too am having trouble with the HD and would like to try this adjustment.
mmc/encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=true or false
Old 01-16-2008, 06:21 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by srothwell View Post
Yes but keep in mind that the files are already set as TS. You'd have to delete every one of them to make the problem go away. The setting only affects new recordings.

Stacy
Unfortunately you are correct, but I don't have any real need to have TS, just was wondering if it would work better. At least I could be on my way back to recovery.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:54 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by srothwell View Post
mmc/encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=true or false
Okay.. I give.. why would one choose one type over the other??

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2008, 11:15 AM
Sage Icon

This thread should help:

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...ream+transport

But from the looks of it, SageTV appears to be more program stream friendly.