SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-31-2007, 03:24 AM
Sage Aficionado

Unhappy Video Codecs, DecCheck, GraphEdit, Direct Show Filter Manager - Problems, need help!

Ok...I've spent a lot of time researching everything trying to get my system to play HD content reliably without stutter. I'm having some serious issues, and based on my hardware and reading the forums...I should not be. So, I started reading and digging...

My sig talks about my hardware, I'm also using PureVideo and it's installed.

One (of many) threads that I read and used was this one:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23853

I'm to the point where all the merits for the above-thread-mentioned NVIDIA codecs (NVIDIA Audio Decoder, NVIDIA Transport Demux, NVIDIA Video Decoder) are at 90800001...just to try and get them to work over everything.

DecCheck shows that the NVIDIA decoder is preferred. Today I downloaded the latest NVIDIA drivers and installed them. I've rebooted countless times after countless config changes.

I did everything in the thread and my GraphEdit's are a joke. I'll summarize as best I can. I can do screenshots, but figured this would get the point across:

Alexander_Trailer_1080p.wmv - HD Trailer from Microsoft Website
nzm_PureVideo_SDvsHD.wmv - HD Sample video from NVIDIA website
WMAudio Decoder DMO -> AC3 Filter -> Default DirectSound Device
WMVideo Decoder DMO -> Video Renderer
These WM* DMO Decoders show up in DirectShow Filter Manager as Unknown Merit, Unknown Company, Unknown Module, Unknown CLSID. They cannot be edited or removed either. They don't even show up in RadLight.
** Plays in WMP11, shows WM Codecs in Properties
** Plays in Sage, excessively choppy.

CF24-upload.mpg - Sample HD video from a Sony camera
hbo_trailer_6k.ts - Sample HD video captured via R5000/Dish Network
hbo_trailer_dtc.ts - Sample HD video captured via R5000/Dish Network
NumberPlease-2364619-0.mpg - Standard Definition SageTV Recording
NVIDIA Transport Demux -> NVIDIA Audio Decoder -> AC3 Filter -> Default DirectSound Device
NVIDIA Transport Demux ->
Some of the streams in this movie are in an unsupported format.
** Plays audio only in WMP11
** Plays in Sage, minimal choppiness (if any)

Appetizers.mp4 - HD Video from an "On Networks" podcast.
California Point Reyes National Seashore.mov - HD Video Podcast.
Controversial Tell-All Book Reveals Wrestling Fans Are Fake.mp4 - The Onion Video Podcast.
Diggnation - Being a Geek is OK.mov - HD Video Podcast
DiveFilmHD Episode12 - Infinite Oceans .m4v - HD Video Podcast
Elephants_Dream_HD.avi - Sample HD Video
The Totally Rad Show - Shaningled.mov - HD Video Podcast
Could not construct a graph from this file
- Have you installed the necessary filters?
- Note that the "Render File" menu option cannot render *.GRF Files.
Cannot play back the file. The format is not supported. (Return code: 0x80040265)

** WMP11 downloads codec but says it cannot play the file.
** Some play perfectly in Sage, others play but are excessively choppy.

There's obviously something very wrong with my system...and I'm hoping there's a way to clean this all up, I'd really rather avoid a rebuild.

Any ideas what in the world is wrong here and what steps I can take to try and resolve this?

Thanks much for any input...
Media Server / NAS:
Case: Thermaltake Armor CPU: AMD Opteron 1218 (2.6GHz Dual Core) Motherboard: ASUS MN2-LR Memory: 2GB Gfx Card: Headless Tuner: Hauppauge HD-PVR, Hauppauge PVR-350 (not in use) O/S: Windows 7 Sage: Latest RAID: On-Board Drives: 6 x 1.5TB SATA RAID-5, 2 x 80GB IDE RAID-1 (O/S) Storage: 7.5TB Total

Last edited by Addict; 12-31-2007 at 03:30 AM.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:27 AM
Sage Icon

I wouldn't say there is "something very wrong" here. I'll post my comments for each section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
Alexander_Trailer_1080p.wmv - HD Trailer from Microsoft Website
nzm_PureVideo_SDvsHD.wmv - HD Sample video from NVIDIA website
WMAudio Decoder DMO -> AC3 Filter -> Default DirectSound Device
WMVideo Decoder DMO -> Video Renderer
These WM* DMO Decoders show up in DirectShow Filter Manager as Unknown Merit, Unknown Company, Unknown Module, Unknown CLSID. They cannot be edited or removed either. They don't even show up in RadLight.
** Plays in WMP11, shows WM Codecs in Properties
** Plays in Sage, excessively choppy.
These are VC-1 encoded files. I wouldn't be too surprised if your system can't handle these. Pretty much the only decoder around is the MS DMO ones. I hate VC-1 files especially the surround ones encoded with WMA 9 Pro which hardly any receiver can decode and is difficult to configure to allow 5.1 surround via SPDIF and AC3Filter. I avoid these files.
Quote:
NVIDIA Transport Demux -> NVIDIA Audio Decoder -> AC3 Filter -> Default DirectSound Device
** Plays audio only in WMP11
Sounds like you may need to uninstall and reinstall the Purevideo decoder. Perhaps something got borked when you were playing around with merits. Or since Sage playback is ok (since you probably specified for it use the Nvidia Video Decoder) you could just leave this alone.

Quote:
Appetizers.mp4 - HD Video from an "On Networks" podcast.
California Point Reyes National Seashore.mov - HD Video Podcast.
Controversial Tell-All Book Reveals Wrestling Fans Are Fake.mp4 - The Onion Video Podcast.
Diggnation - Being a Geek is OK.mov - HD Video Podcast
DiveFilmHD Episode12 - Infinite Oceans .m4v - HD Video Podcast
Elephants_Dream_HD.avi - Sample HD Video
The Totally Rad Show - Shaningled.mov - HD Video Podcast
Could not construct a graph from this file
- Have you installed the necessary filters?
- Note that the "Render File" menu option cannot render *.GRF Files.
Cannot play back the file. The format is not supported. (Return code: 0x80040265)

** WMP11 downloads codec but says it cannot play the file.
** Some play perfectly in Sage, others play but are excessively choppy.
You need some more codecs to play these back. For the mov files you most likely need to install Quicktime from Apple and for the avi files you would need some sort of divX codec. I would suggest installing the CCCP codec pack and when configuring it make sure to uncheck mpeg, mpeg2, ts (if it is there) etc so that it only is configured for the other file formats.
The reason these play in Sage and graphedit can't render the file is Sage by default is configured to use its builtin mplayer for MPEG4 playback. I prefer using external codecs (hence the CCCP pack) and to make Sage render these via Directshow instead of its builtin mplayer you need to change the MPEG Playback setting to DirectShow in the Detailed Setup -> Video/Audio section.

Last edited by ToxMox; 12-31-2007 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:35 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks for the help ToxMox...bear with me, this is all relatively new to me and I'm learning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxMox View Post
I wouldn't say there is "something very wrong" here. I'll post my comments for each section.

These are VC-1 encoded files. I wouldn't be too surprised if your system can't handle these. Pretty much the only decoder around is the MS DMO ones. I hate VC-1 files especially the surround ones encoded with WMA 9 Pro which hardly any receiver can decode and is difficult to configure to allow 5.1 surround via SPDIF and AC3Filter. I avoid these files.
So, the NVIDIA website released a video in a format that only a MS decoder can view? Seems strange since I got to the video through the Purevideo location...why wouldn't Purvideo handle it?

Quote:
Sounds like you may need to uninstall and reinstall the Purevideo decoder. Perhaps something got borked when you were playing around with merits. Or since Sage playback is ok (since you probably specified for it use the Nvidia Video Decoder) you could just leave this alone.
So, I did this. Now, I've got the following:

** NO LONGER PLAYS in WMP11

MPEG-2 Demultiplexer -> AC3 Filter -> Default DirectSound Device
MPEG-2 Demultiplexer ->
** NO LONGER PLAYS in WMP11

Quote:
You need some more codecs to play these back. For the mov files you most likely need to install Quicktime from Apple and for the avi files you would need some sort of divX codec. I would suggest installing the CCCP codec pack and when configuring it make sure to uncheck mpeg, mpeg2, ts (if it is there) etc so that it only is configured for the other file formats.
How is Sage playing these (albiet crapily) if Quicktime codecs aren't already installed? Are they able to do this with the below-mentioned built-in player?

Quote:
The reason these play in Sage and graphedit can't render the file is Sage by default is configured to use its builtin mplayer for MPEG4 playback. I prefer using external codecs (hence the CCCP pack) and to make Sage render these via Directshow instead of its builtin mplayer you need to change the MPEG Playback setting to DirectShow in the Detailed Setup -> Video/Audio section.
I've already got it set up to use DirectShow...shouldn't this be invoking the PureVideo decoder instead - or do you still think everything looks like I should? I'll take a look at the CCCP pack, too...thanks for the tip.

EDIT: Is CCCP going to take advantage of my hardware like PureVideo will? If not, do I keep PureVideo installed? I guess my main issue is that PureVideo doesn't seem to be used for most of these files...and that seems wrong to me.

By the way, I don't care if these don't play in WMP11...it just seemed strange that many files that *should* play there are not. Leading me to think something's wrong.
Media Server / NAS:
Case: Thermaltake Armor CPU: AMD Opteron 1218 (2.6GHz Dual Core) Motherboard: ASUS MN2-LR Memory: 2GB Gfx Card: Headless Tuner: Hauppauge HD-PVR, Hauppauge PVR-350 (not in use) O/S: Windows 7 Sage: Latest RAID: On-Board Drives: 6 x 1.5TB SATA RAID-5, 2 x 80GB IDE RAID-1 (O/S) Storage: 7.5TB Total

Last edited by Addict; 12-31-2007 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

So...installed CCCP:

* GraphEdit pretty much says that NVIDIA is no longer being used for anything.

* Some of the HD files are playing a little better in Sage, but many still have the same problems (no apparent difference).

* I still can't play the AVI in Sage (forgot to mention this one doesn't play...)

I've mucked with the Sage settings (default decoders vs. Purevideo, etc) and various settings, but nothing seems to change the result.

I'd really like to get some hardware decoding done with Purevideo. I feel like I have never been gettting hardware acceleration, and definitely not while the CCCP stuff is going.

Any other thoughts? Thanks again so far for the help!
Media Server / NAS:
Old 12-31-2007, 01:31 PM
Sage Icon

Heya...don't have much time right now to get into it but just wanted to quickly explain that the Nvidia Purevideo Decoder is strictly an MPEG2 decoder. It won't handle any other type of file.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:20 PM
Sage Advanced User

My opinion is that your graphics card is not quite enough for HD (at 400 mhz). There is a thread somewhere where someone starting overclocking and I think it was around 500 where they got perfect playbak. In my case I struggled forwever with a 7300 GT, 350 mhz, until finally buying a 7600GT, 580MHz.

There is more to a graphics card then just the clockspeed (pipelines and what not, but for HDTV playback seems to mainly like the clockspeed).

I would update your graphics card or if that is not an option try ntune (from nivida's site) to overclock it...

Good Luck...

Once you get that step, only way I've got stutter free is nividia video decoder and AC3filter. Every now and then some show will make the video decoder switch between film and video in smart mode, then I have to pick one manual to get smooth playback.