SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:54 AM
Sage User

"No Data" on Channel

After doing everything in the epg FAQ to fix this problem, I am unable to get epg data for a DTV channel in Chicago.

The epg is divided into time segments, all labeled as no data.

zap2it id: 59011
Channel 21-20-3, the frq file calls it MEGA SD, the zap2it guide calls it WYCC-DT3.
I the correct station ID is in the epg/overrides list (I had to add the station manually in source setup)

Can someone help me out here? This is the really interesting channel, MHZworldview.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 12-12-2007, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Is that channel only OTA, or is it included on some cable/satellite lineup? If it is only listed OTA, then the data may not be available to SageTV via Zap2it even if Zap2it lists it on their web site. If it is on a cable/sat lineup, then contact SageTV via the FAQ you mentioned.

If you have a digital tuner, then it might get some data if it is included in the digital stream.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:28 AM
Sage User

It's OTA only, and I guess zap2it is not sending data for that station. I found another market in my time zone that has that station and added as new to the lineup- the new station showed up, but with no data also. I don't think any data is coming in the DTV stream. (sage.properties has disable_data_scanning=false, this is the right setting, right?)

Is there any other way to get listings for this station? Such as creating a new lineup and using an xml tool? Can you point me to a resource for this?

Thanks a lot,

Steve

Last edited by lezouave@earthu; 12-13-2007 at 08:30 AM.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:18 PM
Sage Expert

SageTV *generally* only carries EPG data if carried by MAJOR cable or DISH outlets.

WYCC and WYCCDT are carried on many cable system headends and Satellite, but their secondary sub-channels are not. Until they are, it will not be available in the EPG Data received from Zap2it.

You're only hope is to get the lineup from the channel stream itself, if they even include it. You might try calling WYCC and find out if they include their program schedule in the WYCC-DT3 data stream.

Last edited by Conejo; 12-13-2007 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:57 PM
Sage User

Well, I suppose they don't, because it automatically update if they did? I mean is there a property to add for that?

27-26-3 (MeTV) does just that. Oh well...
Old 12-13-2007, 01:51 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
What cable/satellite providers carry Me-TV?
Comcast: Channel 223
Direct TV: Channel 23
Dish Network: Channel 23
RCN: Channel 14
WOW City: Channel 17
WOW Suburbs: Channel 19
WWME (MeTV) is carried on cable networks, so THAT lineup is available in the SageTV EPG.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:05 PM
Sage Expert

You can also reference this thread, where I learned not to tangle with Andy:

Missing Digital Channels

I think post #4 and #11 might give you better insight. Most 'Electronic Program Guide' data is gathered from SageTV via Zap2it, or directly from the station via their program stream if the station is broadcast digitally. So call WYCC and check if they include the program guide data in their digital broadcast stream, or if WYCC-DT3 will be carried on ANY cable or satellite networks soon.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:35 PM
Sage User

But Conejo,

What is the reason for calling the station? If the data is in the stream it's being sent. If it's not then it's not. There's no setting to activate the feature. (well, to be precise it is activated by default in sage.properties: disable_data_scanning=false).

The only option I have is to use an xmltv type solution, and since I'm a geek I'll try it.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:28 PM
Sage Expert

One reason is to gain information and make new friends

PBS stations are on the cutting edge of ATSC digital broadcasting. Because they are there to serve and educate the public, they're more likely to provide you with useful information. They can tell you IF or WHEN they plan to include PG data with their sub-channel broadcasts.

Or, you can skip that and hope to find a method to scrap the program guide data off some website.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:21 AM
Sage User

Yeah, it would be awesome if all the digital stations supplied their data, and I imagine that that will be the case after February 2009. Live updates to scheduling and all kinds of other nifty stuff will be possible. But to schedule the shows I want to see that have start times earlier than Feb. 2009 I installed the XMLTV Import Tool (http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...ad.php?t=17566) and now I have data for every channel in the lineups. The data comes from the scheduledirect.com service which costs $20 bucks a year, and is also from zap2it, so the station IDs are all the same.

Very nice, and now I understand how the whole thing works. Sagetv is just a big ol' database and we have all these interfaces to to plug into to to add modify and view the tables/fields. Oh yeah, and it happens to play video and sound too.

So scraping is a thing of the past as far as OTA TV goes, as long as you don't mind the $20 a year.

Conejo, thanks for your help and the links you supplied!

Steve

Last edited by lezouave@earthu; 12-14-2007 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:55 AM
Sage Advanced User

I just set up my SageTV and my OTA Fox network has no data in the channel guide. I live in Atlanta so I find it hard to believe they wouldnt have data for FOX on OTA in a major city like this. Is there a way to force a data update? Off all my channels, its the ONLY one with No Data. Also, I used to use MythTV with Zap2it before it stopped being free and I definitely got FOX from their OTA listings.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:50 AM
Sage Advanced User

check that it is mapped correctly, go to setup, setup sources, channel lineup, and make sure fox does not appear twice (though you may have listing for SD and HD). If it appears twice you have to remap the channel it found to the one that is going into the guide. Sometimes the guide will pull the W name, not sure what fox is, while channel scan will say fox...
Old 01-11-2008, 11:00 AM
Sage Advanced User

The channel shows up at 5-1 for HD and 5-2 for SD. The SD channel has the lineup, the HD does not. I physically tune the channel by pressing "5-1" so I'm not sure how I can remap it. Eitherway, I know Zap2it once had data for this because it worked in my mythtv
Old 01-11-2008, 01:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

Exclamation

I also tried selecting Local Broadcast and not Digital Broadcast for Atlanta and it still found all my digital channels but still nothing for WAGA-HD (Fox). When I got to Zap2it.com and bring up the Local Broadcast listing for Atlanta, it shows the programs for WAGA-HD -- What am I missing here?????????
Old 01-11-2008, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by djseto View Post
I also tried selecting Local Broadcast and not Digital Broadcast for Atlanta and it still found all my digital channels but still nothing for WAGA-HD (Fox). When I got to Zap2it.com and bring up the Local Broadcast listing for Atlanta, it shows the programs for WAGA-HD -- What am I missing here?????????
While Fox may be carried by cable/satellite systems, the HD version of the channel may not be. If that is the case, it may not be included in the EPG data that SageTV pays Zap2it for (OTA-only channels are not included). And, if the OTA digital stream doesn't carry EPG data, then SageTV will have no info for that channel. I said this in the 2nd post of this topic and it was covered in the links that Conejo posted above.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

Zap2it had the channel named incorrectly. I scanned and found the channel as WAGA-HD, but I had to remap it to WAGADT which is what Zap2it has it listed as.