SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:56 AM
Sage Aficionado

HVR-1600 or HDHomeRun?

I read this post: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...light=hvr-1800

Along with several others ... To summerize it seems that both the HD HomeRun and the HVR-1600/1800 are well liked. My current setup includes a hauppuage PVR-500-MCE dual tuner. Gathering dust in a box I have an old 150? single tuner card.

From what I've read setting up the HD homerun is a pain? Can anyone confirm/dispel that. and my curiosity begs the question is the HVR-1600 a pain to setup as well?

the hvr-1600/1800 has some posts that it doesn't tune that great (signal strength not good enough). And I've even read that it has problems changing channels. same question as before - is that true? is it also true of the hdhomerun?

the NTSC tuner of the HVR-1600 is supposedly better then my PVR-500? So If I got two hvr-1600's and they worked I'd wind up with six tuners. But I'm really after the ATSC / QAM stuff right now ... the 500 tuner looks great on my SDTV (32' RCA home theater Premiere)

If I go the HVR-1600/1800 route is there any concern with it's drivers and the 500's?

Any other Pro's / Con's of either I should be considering? I'm ... like everyone else probably ... looking for the best solution. An initial complicated setup is worth it to me *if* it results in more stability and more channels.

Thanks in advance to all.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:50 PM
Sage Expert

I can probably help you out because I have the HDHR, 1600 and 500.

First no problems with 500 and 1600 working together (drivers) unless it is causing my problem with the 1600 I will describe below but I have tried reinsalling drivers 3 times.

HDHR was a problem at first but that is because I purchased/setup at a time where they were converting over from network encoders to BDA drivers. Now it works great. Only problem I have with this device is connecting directly to the server in the spare lan port. I have to wait until the HDHR is up completely before starting Sage. This device is so good, I am contemplating getting another. Support is excellent especially on their forum.

I do notice a slight better quality with the 1600 NTSC tuner than the 500.

I could never get the 1600 QAM working reliably. When I scan I can get 2-5 channels. The HDHR has 30+ for QAM. I have tried everything. I am talking 25+ hours this problem. I once had several channels up and running after manually adjusting the physical channels but after a week, I started missing recordings.

The only other thing I have to add is making sure you have the unencrypted QAM you require before buying. This is done by a TV that has this type of tuner and doing a scan. The newer tvs usaully do.

If intQAMNum > intDesiredQAMNum Then
DO SUB(GetHDHR)
Else
DO SUB(RestartSearch)
Old 11-29-2007, 07:57 PM
Sage Expert

Don't forget that for those interested in finding out what can be tuned over-the-air (ATSC) or via Cable (clear-QAM) in their area can use the wiki site at SiliconDust:

http://www.silicondust.com/wiki/hdhomerun/channels

I don't think it's a comprehensive list, but it is one being automatically updated as new HDHR user scan for ATSC and QAM signals in their local areas.

You can then evaluate whether it's worth it to you to get an HD tuner for your rig.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

Great! I think I'm on my way ... checking out the silicon dust page now. thanks