SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:42 PM

Yup Andy no matter time you tell thoses people it free license they just don't get it the word FREE.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:42 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
You aren't paying for something you don't need -- you are looking at it the wrong way: the license comes with the extender for free, so leaving it out wouldn't reduce the price.

- Andy
It's not free. I already paid for one and my wallet is noticeably lighter....
Old 12-07-2007, 07:21 AM
Sage Aficionado

Yes, it's free... they could price the unit $199 without a license, and $219 with it (or what the price of a license is). Instead, to keep it simple and make sure people don't buy a unit and then bitch they don't have a license... 1 product with a free license included! It's a good deal no matter how you look at it.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:52 AM
Sage Expert

No one said you have to activate the license that came with the extender either (I don't know why you wouldn't). Heck Sage is pretty generous in that the licenses are not tied to an individual device. How many licenses would you need if they worked like Client or Sage licesnes?

Its like trying to get McDonalds dollar menu fries for 75 cents because you brought your own katchup.

Hope I didn't give the Sage people any bad ideas about the extender licenses

There is no post here.....

You didn't see anything....

Move along....
Laptop: HP dm3z, AMD (1.6 GHz) 4 GB RAM, 60 GB OCZ SSD, AMD HD3200 graphics, 13.3" widescreen LCD, Windows 7 x64/Sage placeshifter.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:21 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djc208 View Post
Its like trying to get McDonalds dollar menu fries for 75 cents because you brought your own ketchup.
That is a sweet idea...I wonder if I can get them for 50 cents if I just ask them to dump them straight into my open hands w/o that cardboard box holder...
Old 12-07-2007, 10:30 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdnttoker View Post
That is a sweet idea...I wonder if I can get them for 50 cents if I just ask them to dump them straight into my open hands w/o that cardboard box holder...
25 cents before they are cooked or salted?
Old 12-07-2007, 12:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Its like trying to get McDonalds dollar menu fries for 75 cents because you brought your own katchup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdnttoker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by geogecko View Post
25 cents before they are cooked or salted?
Or free if you harvest them from the ground!
Old 12-07-2007, 01:28 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Not quite the same thing, because you can't go to McDonald's and buy the ketchup without the fries.

Maybe a better analogy would be buying a fountain drink from Quiktrip. You can buy the fountain drink and get the cup free, or you can pay 10 cents for the cup....

But that analogy doesn't work, either, cause if you bring the cup with you, the drink is 10 cents cheaper.

sigh.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:42 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFisher View Post
Yes, it's free... they could price the unit $199 without a license, and $219 with it (or what the price of a license is). Instead, to keep it simple and make sure people don't buy a unit and then bitch they don't have a license... 1 product with a free license included! It's a good deal no matter how you look at it.
For you guys b*tching about the price now, I have a feeling that the Extender+Licnese for $199 is only for early adopters. The license will not be included later on for $199. It will go up to $229 for the Extender+License later on. As Andy and others have said, they are giving the license FREE right now.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac View Post
For you guys b*tching about the price now, I have a feeling that the Extender+Licnese for $199 is only for early adopters. The license will not be included later on for $199. It will go up to $229 for the Extender+License later on. As Andy and others have said, they are giving the license FREE right now.
Agreed. $199 is a great price even if it hadn't been packaged with the license. I'll always take the offer for cheaper, but I would easily pay more for this one.....
Old 12-08-2007, 11:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac View Post
There's no reason to think that. Sage didn't do that with the MVPs and they haven't said anything that even implies that they will increase the price.

Personally, I think the price of the HD extender+license is perfectly reasonable. I think bundling them together is perfectly reasonable. But, I think it's disingenuous to say it's included "free". That's like saying Internet Explorer is free with Windows. Complaining about the price seems pretty silly. Sage is (hopefully) making a profit on each extender sold. Basically they're throwing in a license for the cost of that profit margin (or part of it). I suppose Sage could have offered an extender with a license and a discounted one without a license. But, to keep the average profit margin equal to what it is now they would have had to keep the price of the discounted one pretty close to $200. I can't imagine Sage could discount it under $190 and still be able to maintain their profits. So, considering that's a pretty insignificant price difference, it doesn't seem worthwhile to anyone to offer a unit without a license.

Anyways, I'm guessing the vast majority of people on these boards are perfectly happy with the price and the bundled license. I even hope Sage is making a decent amount of money on these things. I have a vested interest in Sage staying in business (I would hate to lose Sage's guide data).
Old 12-10-2007, 08:53 AM
Sage User

Any update on whether there'll be a bundle for SageTV + Extender?
Old 12-10-2007, 09:00 AM

There may be one jalaram but I didn't see bundle of SageTV Media Center software with the extender just keep check I sure it turn up sooner or later today.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:10 AM
Sage User

I just saw this on the Brent Evan review of the box:

Quote:
Price - When I asked Mike Machado, CEO of SageTV about the HD Extender pricing, he confirmed the $199 price of the HD Extender:

"Price will be $199 and it requires SageTV Media Center software. We will have a $249 bundle of SageTV Media Center software with the extender."

The units will go on sale at the SageTV website today (Monday, December 10th 2008.) This price includes the extender, the remote as well as the required SageTV extender license. I think this price point will be well received by current SageTV users. And for potential new SageTV customers, the $249 bundle is a savings of $29.95 compared to purchasing SageTV and the HD extender separately. You would be hard-pressed to purchase a pre-made HTPC or build your own HTPC "extender" that had the STX-HD100's capabilities for that price - especially considering the small size and weight and silent operation of this extender.
Woo hoo!!!
Old 12-10-2007, 01:00 PM
Sage User

"Price will be $199 and it requires SageTV Media Center software. We will have a $249 bundle of SageTV Media Center software with the extender."

When will the bundle be available to order?
Old 12-10-2007, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by surge View Post
When will the bundle be available to order?
There are no further details on that yet -- not sure when that might be listed in the store.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Just got the email from Sage with License Keys for the new extenders I ordered. I hope they aren't back ordered yet!

Sage Rocks. Well done.
btl.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bialio View Post
Just got the email from Sage with License Keys for the new extenders I ordered. I hope they aren't back ordered yet!

Sage Rocks. Well done.
btl.
Same here and then the tracking number 8 minutes later.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:11 PM
Sage User

I just got the key for the new extender, already entered it into the Sage 6.2 server, it worked
Old 12-10-2007, 01:17 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
There are no further details on that yet -- not sure when that might be listed in the store.

- Andy
Hopefully soon.. I need to give Santa my list