SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcoder View Post
I am hoping they are all just joking (even though there is some truth in joking normally).
I can't speak for anyone else, but I was definitely joking. In our house we just have an agreement that neither of us makes any large purchases without making the other aware of it first.

Oh, and by the way, my wife is buying the STX-HD100 for me. Nothing says love like an HD media extender.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 12-04-2007, 07:54 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcoder View Post
With the regularity of expenses that women rack up which are much higher than men (hair, nails, shoes, etc.) it seems funny to me to need to ask permission for something like an extender.
Guys just spend it in larger chunks, a women could have had a lot of shopping trips and salon visits for what I've spent on my garage and the car that's in it, and I'm far from done with either, let alone the rest of my toys. I'm sure I wouldn't have half of them if I had to justify it (which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing )

In any event I have to agree with the seperate accounts, no need to ask permission, if you don't have the money in your account no extender (kind of like right now).
Laptop: HP dm3z, AMD (1.6 GHz) 4 GB RAM, 60 GB OCZ SSD, AMD HD3200 graphics, 13.3" widescreen LCD, Windows 7 x64/Sage placeshifter.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:02 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogecko View Post
Don't get me wrong, I didn't mention the price, as she didn't ask...usually that comes after it's already been purchased, and there's nothing I can do about it.

As my Pop likes to say, "It is better to beg forgiveness than ask permission."

If that fails then I usually fall back on "It was within the limits of my discretionary funds..... "

When all else fails one can invoke the "Dont ask, dont tell" clause.

Jesse
HD300 X1
Old 12-04-2007, 01:54 PM
Sage Icon

I think the issue with most couples and money is enabling each other. If I spent 200 on this (Even though it's for everybody in the house), then she will think that she gets extra spending money to keep it fair. So she goes out and spends 200 on herself. Now I feel left out and want to spend money on something (just for me). etc...

This is just a hypothetical scenario and not how it typically goes in my house. But most married couples have gone though this at one time or another.
Having a budget with extra spending money for each helps but what happens when kids braces, new roof, broken car etc...
Most couples still spend on extras and go outside the budget. America seems to run on credit

Anyways...Married life does not mean you have to ALWAYS ask permission but if you're in a relationship and you don't ask permission I will be willing to bet it won't last very long.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:07 PM
Sage Icon

It depends on your income, this varies from couples to couples. Simply put, how much is $200 worth to you? If it is a lot or enough of a large mount, then you better discuss it with your spouse before purchasing. If you make more than enough to splurge on $200 items, then I don't see the need to ask when it doesn't change your life financailly in any way.

Besides, this extender is for HER too, not just you, unless she doesn't watch or use SageTV.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:42 AM
Sage Aficionado

Does any one here get the 'Well you're going to buy it anyway so why ask me?' This usually translates to 'I can't be bothered to have a small argument now but expect a huge humdinger of one at some unspecified time in the future!'

My brother resorts to out right lieing to cover his toy spending. I wish I could pull off some of the bare faced lying tales he's spun his missus!
Old 12-05-2007, 08:22 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobarsteward View Post
My brother resorts to out right lieing to cover his toy spending. I wish I could pull off some of the bare faced lying tales he's spun his missus!
Your brother sounds just like most of my mates

I'm not married so haven't yet had to master the art....
Old 12-05-2007, 09:27 AM
Sage Expert

I can't tell you how lucky I am. My wife is in the film/video field. She does slaes on the big-time HD cameras and such. And she's an independent film maker. It's not hard to convince her that good electronics is important . She's usually the first to say "that doesn't look right."
Old 12-05-2007, 10:19 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by samgreco View Post
I can't tell you how lucky I am. My wife is in the film/video field. She does slaes on the big-time HD cameras and such. And she's an independent film maker. It's not hard to convince her that good electronics is important . She's usually the first to say "that doesn't look right."
LOL, nice. Well, my wife keeps having issues with video not showing up on Oprah, which usually requires a restart of the client on the HTPC. I told her it would be fixed by using an HD Extender out in the living room...
Old 12-05-2007, 11:00 AM
Sage Aficionado

I can't believe how many smart people here live so close to hand to mouth that they can't justify a $200 expense that you have been planning for months.

I'm also amazed at little authority you have at home, and how your wife feels that money is something that she can use to get back at you with. If you can't afford $200, and now because of this purchase your wife is going to think she deserves to waste $200, you both have serious problems with how you look at money. With this attitude you may always live hand to mouth.

Look, it is really easy to get her approval, show her some affection and love and spend some time with her. She is mad at you because you don't spend time with her like you do with your electronics. She feels the electronics are more important than her so she goes out and spends money to pamper herself to make up for it. So shut up and start treating your wife like you treat SageTV. If you spent half the time you spend on this forum with her, you would have your HD extender in the bag and she wouldn't feel the need to get back at you.

Thanks Sage for the $200 price point, and thanks for listening to your customers.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:25 AM
Sage Icon

Wow, there are a lot of truths spoken in that last word...

You have to realize though, that most of America is in debt, and lives from hand to mouth. It takes a lot of dicipline (sp?) to live debt free (not talking about a mortgage, or possibly even car payments, a mortgage is actually an investment if done correctly). Throwing more money at the problem isn't always the solution either, because research pretty much shows that if you increase the means, people will still live past them. It's a real weight lifted off your shoulders if you can get out from under debt, and realize your only debt remaining is a house payment, that will increase in value. People that wait until their 40's to start saving money are really going to be in for a shock when they retire (if they even can)... Heck, I was even putting money in a 401k when I was cooping in college. Yeah, 20% of my $15/hour really hurt, but in the end, it will be worth it.

The whole thing about spending time together is a good point. I've found that statement to be true, that she cares less, when I've been "watching TV" with her, or hanging out with her or the baby. It usually requires dropping some of the things that I like to do, only because a lot of things interest me. My wife on the other hand, only has one hobby, clothes shopping, so it's easy for her to get bored. I made the mistake once of telling her that she needed to get a hobby...I've even went as far to try and jump start a couple to get her going, only to find out she isn't interested.

Last edited by geogecko; 12-05-2007 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:57 AM
Sage Aficionado

The title of this thread needs to be changed to "STX-HD100 Pricing Information and Marriage Counseling"!

I sold the idea to my wife by letting her know the occasional reboots required on the full PC client will go away with an extender. And for good measure I threw on a virus scanner that throws up a pop-up each evening during prime TV time. Was great last night when the virus scanner caused SageTV to minimize at the most climactic moment during Heroes! (Ok, so I didn't put the virus scanner on the be annoying, I just consider it an added bonus. )
Server: Antec SLK3800B, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, Biostar TForce 550, GeForce 7300LE, 1GB DDR2 800, 2 x HVR-1600, PVR-150MCE, 1.4TB HD Space, XP Pro, Java6, Latest SageTV Version
Old 12-05-2007, 12:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

I gave my extender up to get my wife those cool "three trees" at the home depot. You know the ones that hand the individually controlled bulbs that have multiple colors that go to music. Oh well...potato...potato.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
The whole thing about spending time together is a good point. I've found that statement to be true, that she cares less, when I've been "watching TV" with her, or hanging out with her or the baby. It usually requires dropping some of the things that I like to do, only because a lot of things interest me. My wife on the other hand, only has one hobby, clothes shopping, so it's easy for her to get bored. I made the mistake once of telling her that she needed to get a hobby...I've even went as far to try and jump start a couple to get her going, only to find out she isn't interested.
Jason,

This sounds just like my relationship. My wife has the same hobby, shopping, and while we both share this hobby, I tend to shop for electronics, and she shops for clothes and cook books (rarely cooks anything out of them). I shop for months before buying something (usually a huge item), and she just gets it that day and often ends up returning everything. Compared to me who can entertain myself all day, she requires a lot more attention. She is kinda like a gaming computer, always in need of tweaking and constant upgrades, but if I spend the time with her and make her feel special, I feel better too and I get treated the way I want to be treated as well. Sometimes it can be painfully boring to hang out with her because she has no interesting hobbies, but other times it is great fun. So, you just gotta roll with the punches and even though I am not religious, They got the commandments right, treat others like you want to be treated.

As for the whining about prices and whether your wife will let you buy this stuff, I just got really tired of it and needed to make a statement. However, I really shouldn't be talking too much, because I got lucky on the stock market when I was in college and have saved it ever since so I have no idea how it feels to live paycheck to paycheck. Sure, I could go out and buy a big house and a car, but I would end up like MC Hammer. It is better to save and live poor than to spend and be poor.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Thought everybody here could relate to this.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:58 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoboy View Post
Jason,

This sounds just like my relationship. My wife has the same hobby, shopping, and while we both share this hobby, I tend to shop for electronics, and she shops for clothes and cook books (rarely cooks anything out of them). I shop for months before buying something (usually a huge item), and she just gets it that day and often ends up returning everything. Compared to me who can entertain myself all day, she requires a lot more attention. She is kinda like a gaming computer, always in need of tweaking and constant upgrades, but if I spend the time with her and make her feel special, I feel better too and I get treated the way I want to be treated as well. Sometimes it can be painfully boring to hang out with her because she has no interesting hobbies, but other times it is great fun. So, you just gotta roll with the punches and even though I am not religious, They got the commandments right, treat others like you want to be treated.

As for the whining about prices and whether your wife will let you buy this stuff, I just got really tired of it and needed to make a statement. However, I really shouldn't be talking too much, because I got lucky on the stock market when I was in college and have saved it ever since so I have no idea how it feels to live paycheck to paycheck. Sure, I could go out and buy a big house and a car, but I would end up like MC Hammer. It is better to save and live poor than to spend and be poor.
LOL, true, so true. We usually have a good time together (I married her after all!), but when it comes to her entertaining herself, she isn't very good at it.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:02 AM
Sage Aficionado

Yeah, sometimes I wonder why I didn't marry the one that you could sit in a corner for hours on end while you ran out and did whatever you wanted. She just sat there and knit. However, the other 99% of the time I'm glad I didn't.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:01 PM
Sage Aficionado

I do like the $199 price point, but I agree with others here that I'd like a $179 price point WITHOUT a license.

Why should I be forced to pay for something I don't need?

-M
Old 12-06-2007, 12:12 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdnttoker View Post
I do like the $199 price point, but I agree with others here that I'd like a $179 price point WITHOUT a license.

-M
So buy it and sell the software on ebay.

[regarding the EULA: unbundling the uninstalled software and hardware is likely provided for under case law resulting from SoftMan Products Co. v. Adobe Systems Inc. in California.]
Old 12-06-2007, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdnttoker View Post

You aren't paying for something you don't need -- you are looking at it the wrong way: the license comes with the extender for free, so leaving it out wouldn't reduce the price.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.