SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:28 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeclad View Post
That's funny, I've gotten through Senate Appropriations a little differently. I convinced the wife that the HD Extender is really important if she wants to watch all her favorite shows in the comfort of the bedroom like she's able to do with our ReplayTV's. I've got defacto approval but I don't mention the price as this is on top of $2,000 spent on recent PC/Electronics purchases.

No reason to bring money into the conversation now.
Don't get me wrong, I didn't mention the price, as she didn't ask...usually that comes after it's already been purchased, and there's nothing I can do about it.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:28 PM
Sage Icon

Here's the formula for wife approval: NumberOfDesiredHDExtender multiply by 2

So if you really need 2 HD extenders, tell the wife you are getting 4. Make excuses to why you need 4, be as nerdy as possible about it, throw in lots of technical jargons that she doesn't comprehend. Then settle for two Extenders after some bargaining, but be sure to act disappointed while jumping for joy in the inside.

Seriously, SageTV is one of the lower-cost commercial media center PVR systems available, considering all the features and benefits. Try building a similar setup with Tivo or VistaMCE, it is way more costly.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
Drum roll please.....

The price of the STX-HD100 will be

$199.95

The target date for availability is Monday 12/10/2007.

I'll be making another post later with specifics on capabilities.

(this price also includes one server-side license for the extender; just like the current MVP extenders we sell)
Where do I sign up for one?
Old 11-29-2007, 11:52 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturzynski View Post
Where do I sign up for one?
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28691

Old 11-30-2007, 07:41 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Assuming this will be better in every way (for SD) than the existing Hauppauge MVP, I predict a flurry of the old ones for sale on eBay.

-Robert
Old 11-30-2007, 09:16 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogecko View Post
Don't get me wrong, I didn't mention the price, as she didn't ask...usually that comes after it's already been purchased, and there's nothing I can do about it.
I usually go the beg for forgiveness route rather than the ask for permission route. That way I've already got it and as you say and there is nothing I can do about it (otherwise I might not be able to get it).
Old 11-30-2007, 11:56 AM
Sage Icon

I got lucky... My wife asked me to get one.

I did a little sneakiness though.
We are going to give the last client (Full PC) to one of our kids and was going to replace it with an MVP. So about 2-3 weeks ago I changed the setup on the MVP as wireless and changed the default recording quality to Max 12Mbit/s, this caused alot of stuttering and got her a little heated. So now she TOLD me to get one, see how it works and if successful, to replace the other 2 MVPs...
Old 11-30-2007, 12:05 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd_maniac View Post
So about 2-3 weeks ago I changed the setup on the MVP as wireless and changed the default recording quality to Max 12Mbit/s, this caused alot of stuttering and got her a little heated. So now she TOLD me to get one, see how it works and if successful, to replace the other 2 MVPs...
You are a genius among mere insects.

-Robert
Old 11-30-2007, 12:15 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeclad View Post
That's funny, I've gotten through Senate Appropriations a little differently. I convinced the wife that the HD Extender is really important if she wants to watch all her favorite shows in the comfort of the bedroom like she's able to do with our ReplayTV's. I've got defacto approval but I don't mention the price as this is on top of $2,000 spent on recent PC/Electronics purchases.

No reason to bring money into the conversation now.

I'm figuring this (not needing a full-fledged PC in the bedroom to run HD) will create more of an impetus to get a TV for the bedroom, and maybe the guest room as well. I have to say adding $200 to a $1200 tv will be easy....
2x HDHR, all OTA
QNAP TS-809:
12.5 TB for Recordings/Imports/TimeMachine/Music
HD200 via 802.11n in Living Room
802.11n client in bedroom
Old 12-02-2007, 08:45 PM
Sage User

Is there going to be a bundle price for those who don't own Sage yet? I.e. HD extender + the required Sage client or server? Do I just need the Sage server or a complete client license?
Old 12-02-2007, 08:50 PM
Sage Icon

Tell your wives it's the same price as her last haircut, color, & facial, and those only last 5 months. When she gives up those, you'll give up toys...
Old 12-02-2007, 09:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalaram View Post
Is there going to be a bundle price for those who don't own Sage yet? I.e. HD extender + the required Sage client or server? Do I just need the Sage server or a complete client license?
I have no idea what bundles there might be, but you would need SageTV Media Center (that's the server) plus the extender (it comes with its own extender license), at a minimum.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

Why do all you guys need to get wife approval to spend any money? I bet she doesn't check with you every time she buys a nice pair of shoes, and you don't even get to wear those!
Old 12-03-2007, 07:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcoder View Post
Why do all you guys need to get wife approval to spend any money? I bet she doesn't check with you every time she buys a nice pair of shoes, and you don't even get to wear those!
You aren't married, are you?
Old 12-03-2007, 08:21 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInMaui View Post
Exactly what I was thinking.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Two words: separate accounts.

Although I still end up paying for dinner....
Old 12-03-2007, 08:34 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcoder View Post
I don't know of too many shoes costing $200. And yes, she would check with me if she wanted to spend $200 on anything. Ditto for me wanting to spend $200 on this device (plus $80 for the Sage Client software).
Old 12-03-2007, 09:20 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalaram View Post
Ditto for me wanting to spend $200 on this device (plus $80 for the Sage Client software).
The extender comes with a client license.. Since you posted $80 for the software, you probably meant the Sage Server software.

Hopefully there will be a bundle price for the Extender and Server software.

I guess we will know in a little over a week
Old 12-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Sage User

Additional Remotes

Do you have a price for an additional/replacement remote?

We always loose them or a dog gets to them. One thing I liked about the hauppauge MVPs and tuners is I have about 7 of their remotes now so I can always find one.

I'd like to be able to buy an extra remote or two when I buy my extenders.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:00 AM
Sage Advanced User

Smile

Quote:
Hi. No I am not yet, and yes I knew that would be the first comment about my statement, along with statements like "you'll see," and the like. I would not want to be married to the type that would make me ask, or if I didn't the passive (or active) aggressiveness would come out in my partner. With the regularity of expenses that women rack up which are much higher than men (hair, nails, shoes, etc.) it seems funny to me to need to ask permission for something like an extender. I am not attacking anyone, or wanting any kind of debate, but just trying to understand the comments that I see so often. I am hoping they are all just joking (even though there is some truth in joking normally). There should be fairness and of common rules about how much to spend before "discussing" an item of purchase with your significant other, but I absolutely do not buy asking for "permission" (or any other jokes alluding to such behavior). Maybe more people should make a real budget, so each person is getting a fair amount, so when something like this comes along, there is not need to talk to the other half about it! OK, well everyone has their way of things in life, and I am just saying my opinion here.

Don't get me started on the WAF discussion (which is a term I don't like/agree with on many levels, but prefer something like "usability" or "ease of use").

In any case, I am ready for an HD extender....can't wait!!!!