SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 10-31-2007, 09:15 AM
Sage Advanced User

Fix for unknown wma "bug"

As a new user I was disappointed with the fact that a few of my favorite albums kept being listed as "unknown" by Sage. Sure seemed like a bug to me since other apps discovered these files just fine.
So I started digging. Took one of the offending albums and deleted all tags from its songs. Had Sage rescan. Then started adding tags back into the songs. Put in the "artist" tag. Had Sage rescan. Low and behold it found the song. Other info was missing of course. Added other tags to song. Had Sage rescan. Song is now unknown again, bummer. Started deleting tags to see which one is the problem. Had Sage rescan. Still unknown. Finally deleted the embedded album art. Had Sage rescan. Viola! song is found again. Added all other tags, but left out the image. Had Sage rescan. Song remains the same (couldnt resist).
So, the culprit was the album art.
Did some more digging. Seems that the ASF spec says embedded images must be less than 64K. The images in my "bad" songs were over 64K.
So I then reduced the size of the images for embedding and reinserted them into the songs. Now the songs are still "found" and have all tags plus album art.
Funny, a few songs still didnt show up, even with the reduced art, and some were well under 64K. I'd tinker with the images, reducing them still more (say by 1%) mess with dimensions (looks like they should also be well under 500 dpi) and finally the remaining songs were found.
As an aside, it seems that mp3's dont suffer from this problem.
Still seems funny that other apps would not be offended by the "big" art problem, even windows media player. And my newer version of tagger now warns if you attempt to put a "big" image in a wma file.
That being said, I still consider it a bug in Sages tag parsing routines, if sage encounters a tag it does'nt like, it should just disregard that one tag rather than throw the whole file into the bit bucket. How would I report this as a bug? I only see bug reporting on beta's here.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry59 View Post
How would I report this as a bug? I only see bug reporting on beta's here.
Just send in a bug report or send an email to tech support.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.