SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:41 AM
Sage Advanced User

Can I record 16:9 via Motorola 6412 STB?

I've got a question for the gang: I'd like to record via the S-Video output of my motorola 6412 STB box (HD box), but in 16:9 widescreen mode. Back when I had DirecTV, I was able to do this via S-Video connection (RCA box).

I've got a couple of HDHRs running, and they work beautifully! But I'd like to record some of the 5C encrypted channels (Showtime HD, HBO HD) via S-Video in widescreen. I realize it's not true HD output when using the S-Video, but then again I'm only creating standard dvds with the output.

So, anyone know what I need to change in the Motorola 6412 to get it to send 16:9 formatted output, and what I need to make sure its setup right on Sage (I figured it was the "Aspect Ratio Mode" setting - which I have as "Source").

Thanks!
Old 10-28-2007, 01:05 PM
Sage Expert

The Internet says no. But I don't completely trust the Internet, but I do trust Google to bring me informative and insightful commentary:

Motorola 6412 s-video "16:9"

Quote:
>>>
Will the 6412 (or any newer Comcast box) output 16:9 via the S-video output?

The S-Video output will only do SD Widescreen not full 16:9.

Will the 6412 output 480i in 16:9 over component for anyone?
I just picked up a DVD recorder with component video inputs with the intention of recording widescreen material in 480i off the DVR. Come to find out when I switch to 480i on the DVR, the output changes to 4:3 over component.
Motorola tech support said it should be possible, but they really have nothing to do with the software. Is this just a Comcast thing, or can nobody get 16:9 480i over component?

You can only get Widescreen over 480I or 480P via Component.
Full 16:9 can only be done with a 720p & 1080I

Regarding improving quality of the SD picture:

About the only thing you can do is play with the 4:3 override setting. To access this, turn the power off from the remote and then press Menu right away. If your HD is set to 720p or 1080i, you can change how SD is presented by selecting something else in 4:3 override.

I'd suggest trying 480i, since this is the 'native' format of SD. Also consider running an S Video cable from the box to a different input on your TV. S Video will give you a less grainy picture on SD channels as it is a much lower resolution. You'll have to switch inputs on your TV when you switch from SD to HD programming, but it might give you a much better SD picture than what you would get otherwise.

I have 4:3 override set to Off currently, so I can stay on the same input for HD and SD. Also, the box will pillarbox the image with black bars on the side, instead of the TV's gray bars which I don't care for if use the 4:3 override feature. I put up with the grainy analog channels for now, but hopefully that will all go away when Comcast switches to 100% digital in my area (hopefully soon).
Old 12-05-2007, 09:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

I've found a possible, but not ideal, solution. I can take the component output of the Motorola box to the svideo.com convertor (http://www.svideo.com/appletv2tv.html) which will generate svideo signal I can take to the Hauppauge. According to what I'm reading, it'll take the widescreen output of the component connection and convert it to svideo.

And the downside - only works with 480i. Which really isn't too bad, since my ultimate goal is to author regular dvds, which only takes 480i. I'll let you know how it looks (I've seen good reviews for it).