SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 10-20-2007, 07:41 AM
Sage User

MKV files

Anyone know if there are any plans to support .mkv files in Sage?
Old 10-20-2007, 02:00 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiGster View Post
Anyone know if there are any plans to support .mkv files in Sage?
Not sure if you've seen this. http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...&highlight=mkv .

If you mod your sage.properties file to add .mkv to the filetypes, you should be set.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:50 AM
Sage User

OKY, thank you I have not seen that. I'll give it a shot.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:30 PM
Sage User

Im trying to get this to work as well, I downloaded the files in the link but what am I supposed to do with them? What properties file is everyone modifying in that link the sage.properties? I'm really lost with just the info on that link. Can someone provide the proper files and directions that someone new can actualy follow?

Last edited by Justintoxicated; 10-21-2007 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:34 PM
Sage Icon

YOu shouldn't need to install those files, that thread is from the 6.2 Beta days. With Sage 6.2.10 being a release version, it already has those updated files.

The sage.properties file is the file that you need to mod. It's default location is at C:\program files\sagetv\sagetv\sage.properties. Sage must be completely shut down if you are going to mod the sage.properties file (that includes SageService, if used). If you are running Vista, it will be in your virtual store due to UAC.

edit: .mkv support is not officially supported, but if you mod this line
seeker/video_library_import_filename_extensions=.mpg,.mpeg,.mp2,.mpeg2,.mpe,.avi,.divx,.mpg1,.ts,.wmv,.asf,.wm,.tivo,.m2t,.vob,.flv,.mp4,.mov,.trp,.m4v,.ogm,.3gp, and add .mkv , then Sage will allow you to play .mkv files. Actually, you could even rename a .mkv file to .avi and it should work without needing to add in the .mkv to the seeker/video_library_import_filename_extensions line.

Last edited by ke6guj; 10-21-2007 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:28 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
YOu shouldn't need to install those files, that thread is from the 6.2 Beta days. With Sage 6.2.10 being a release version, it already has those updated files.

The sage.properties file is the file that you need to mod. It's default location is at C:\program files\sagetv\sagetv\sage.properties. Sage must be completely shut down if you are going to mod the sage.properties file (that includes SageService, if used). If you are running Vista, it will be in your virtual store due to UAC.

edit: .mkv support is not officially supported, but if you mod this line
seeker/video_library_import_filename_extensions=.mpg,.mpeg,.mp2,.mpeg2,.mpe,.avi,.divx,.mpg1,.ts,.wmv,.asf,.wm,.tivo,.m2t,.vob,.flv,.mp4,.mov,.trp,.m4v,.ogm,.3gp, and add .mkv , then Sage will allow you to play .mkv files. Actually, you could even rename a .mkv file to .avi and it should work without needing to add in the .mkv to the seeker/video_library_import_filename_extensions line.

It worked but as soon as I toggled to fyull screen sage TV crashed...
Old 10-23-2007, 06:12 PM
Sage Icon

I tried altering the preference in the sage.properties on my server and sageclient.properties on my client. I still don't see .mkv files listed, but when I change the extension to avi it works fine. I'd rather have direct support for mkv since I'm getting them by having EP's compression create them and it takes significantly less time to create the mkv files.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:53 PM
Sage Icon

did you have sage completely shut down, including the service, if used?

open up your sage.properties and see if the .mkv thatyou added is still there. If not, Sage was still running and overwrote the alteration.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:22 PM
Sage Icon

It's still there on the server. Which system should it be on? Should it be listed in the recordings or in the imported videos? It's not in either.

By the way, here's the line from the server:

seeker/video_library_import_filename_extensions=.mpg,.mpeg,.mp2,.mpeg2,.mpe,.avi,.divx,.mpg1,.ts,.wmv,.asf,.wm,.tivo,.m2t,.vob,.flv,.mp4,.mov,.trp,.m4v,.ogm,.3gp,.mkv
Old 10-23-2007, 07:57 PM
Sage Icon

All I did was edit the sage.properties line on the server. My sageclient.properties files have not been modified. The mkv files show up as imported videos.

YOur line looks modded the same way as mine.

I'd put a new .mkv file in an import folder, trigger a folder rescan, and then check the debug logging to see if you see anything regarding the .mkv.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:17 PM
Sage Icon

Would mp4 files be visible in the recordings menu if they were compressed in place? I know that avi files are.