SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

USB-UIRT Blaster & Dish 311's

Hello all,

I just got satellite and have four identical Dish 311 satellite receiver boxes. I've got them each running on their own range of IR so I can control them by their own remotes without interfering with each other.

I went to set up the source in Sage, chose USB-UIRT to tune the devices, and went through manually setting up each button (0-9) from my new satellite remote.

The problem is, when I test the infrared transmit from Sage, only every other button press is getting through.

Example:

Test "1" in sage, satellite box sees it successfully.
Test "1" in sage, satellite box does not see it.
Test "1" in sage, satellite box does not see it.

I know I had this problem when setting up my USB-UIRT to receive the codes from the hauppauge 45 button remote, but how do I fix it when transmitting? Is it as simple as adding something to my new .IR files?
Old 10-19-2007, 02:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

Actually, I guess I'm answering my own post, heh.

I just added "RepeatCount 5" to my .IR file after the first line, and it works absolutely perfectly now. It looks like this controls how long the UIRT "holds down the button", so the satellite receiver can capture it correctly.

Last edited by Ryand833; 10-19-2007 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:29 PM
Sage Icon

I used to have two Dish Network JVC 301 receivers in the same room. I setup the JVC 301 receivers to use different IR channels. One JVC 301 was connected to the TV directly, the other to a PVR-350. No interaction occurred when the JVC 301's were set up for different IR channels.

You might check if the 311's have the same feature to use different IR channels.

I also discovered the "repeatcount" needed to be adjusted to reliably change channels on the JVC 301 receiver.

The utility IR Helper, a stand alone executable will help you test and setup your remotes and USB-UIRT. The file also includes working IR example files for a Dish Network JVC 301 and a Motorola DCT 2000 cable set top box.

Dave
Attached Files
File Type: zip irhelper.zip (19.2 KB, 224 views)
Old 10-20-2007, 07:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yes, when the guy was here to install the Dish, he helped me get all 4 boxes on different IR ranges, which is definitely nice. I sat there and programmed all 4 of the remotes' 0-9 buttons into their own .IR files and was having some problems with reliability.

I adjusted the RepeatCount all the way up to 10 and that seems to get the job done most of the time (although channel changing is slooooow).

It's really weird, because when I'm in Sage watching LiveTV mode, I can change channels and it works just fine. BUT, when I have something scheduled to record in Sage, not all of the IR buttons get sent... I scheduled a hockey game to record on channel 11 and only one of the 1's made it through, so (because I don't have a channel 1) Sage tuned to channel 2 automatically and started recording the wrong program.

I've got the USB-UIRT about 8 inches away from all 4 satellite receivers, so I don't know, maybe it's having a hard time getting IR to the top receiver or something. I just need to do some more experimenting and refining the placement of the USB-UIRT I suppose.