SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 10-22-2007, 02:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

Do these recordings come from an R5000 modded Dish box?

If so, you may want to consider switching to cyberlink decoders. As far as I can tell, I have not seen working playback of live/recorded TV in Sage from h.264 R5000 Dish files using CoreAVC. I along with others do have these files working using the cyberlink decoder.

If not, ignore what I just said
Old 10-22-2007, 10:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eguy View Post
This is really getting old. I can play h.264 everywhere except Sage...
Apparently CoreAVC and Sage don't work together well at this point. You are not the only one having this problem. And you can't fix it by modifying settings and stuff.

PowerDVD 7.3 decoder works just fine for h.264.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:28 AM
Sage User

I have graphedit working. You can see the codecs it uses in the second .jpg file I posted. I am trying to get Sage to use the CoreAVC codec to render h.264 HD channels and videos. I can play the h.264 files in WMP and in Graphedit I can not play them in Sage...
Old 10-23-2007, 07:33 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOSG View Post
Do these recordings come from an R5000 modded Dish box?

If so, you may want to consider switching to cyberlink decoders. As far as I can tell, I have not seen working playback of live/recorded TV in Sage from h.264 R5000 Dish files using CoreAVC. I along with others do have these files working using the cyberlink decoder.

If not, ignore what I just said

Yes they are from r5000 boxes. I did try the cyberlink codec yesterday but it did not install properly so I took it out without much troubleshooting. I will try again today and see if I can get working.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:01 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Yes they are from r5000 boxes. I did try the cyberlink codec yesterday but it did not install properly so I took it out without much troubleshooting. I will try again today and see if I can get working.
There are several R5000 H264 threads that cover this. They should be able to help
Old 10-23-2007, 09:29 AM
Sage User

After loading PowerDVD 7 and PowerEncoder_MP4 I found that I did not have the cyberlink h.264 codec.

I loaded H264_Ati_trial.exe from cyberlink and now I have the codec "CyberLink H.264/AVC Decoder(ATI)" But I can not get it to work.

In GraphEdit when I add the filter and then try and connect it to the "Video Renderer" box I get an error. I know I'm probably just doing something stupid could some one help me out.

attatched is the GraphEdit error
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GraphEdit_PDVD7.jpg (71.5 KB, 235 views)
Old 10-23-2007, 09:48 AM
Sage Aficionado

From what I remember I could not get H264_Ati_trial.exe to work with the Dish r5000 files. I think it is an outdated version of the H.264 decoder that is included with PowerDVD Ultra

http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/produ...n_112_ENU.html

Unfortunately, there is no trial of Ultra.

http://www.cyberlink.com/english/pro...2004/index.jsp

There is this http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/cyber...er_77_ENU.html which is cheaper than the full ultra version, but I cannot comment if that will add the necessary decoder that works with the Dish R5000 files.

FWIW, I was in your same boat. Tried and tried using CoreAVC, trial H264 version from cyberlink. Finally, I said screw it, and bought the full version of Cyberlink Ultra. Recently updated to latest version, and also made this tweak courtesy of HawgGuy

"Have you tried, using regedit, modifying :

Frey Technologies\Common\DSFilters\MpegDeMux\NumBuffers

and changing from 40 to 80."

and things run like a champ.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:40 PM
Sage User

Well at least things are different. I downloaded the PDVD Ultra, thank you for the info, and that renders outside of sage just fine. Now when I go to play a h.264 channell in Sage I get a black screen with no error.

I am now able to play both my h.264 recorded video files. (one was recorded using sage and the other was recorded using the r5000 UI).

Getting closer but not quite there yet...
Old 10-23-2007, 02:19 PM
Sage User

OK... I got the h.264 channels working but I lost sound in all my HD channels..

If it is not one thing it is another...

I'm going to start over with a fresh install and go with the cyberlink and see if that fixes all my problems...
Old 10-23-2007, 04:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
OK... I got the h.264 channels working but I lost sound in all my HD channels..

If it is not one thing it is another...

I'm going to start over with a fresh install and go with the cyberlink and see if that fixes all my problems...
isn't progress fun

Soon enough you'll have it covered. BTW, if you go the fresh install route, don't forget that reg entry modification from hawgGuy
Old 10-23-2007, 10:55 PM
Sage User

Three steps forward, two steps back... Good to see you are almost there. Are you reinstalling using the 8600GT? Since you don't need a codec to activate the hardware acceleration (just the latest drivers), you might not need any codec at all. Of course you won't be able to play h.264 video outside of Sage, but it seems you have it as a dedicated PVR machine. The only reason why this might not work is because Sage's mpeg4 codec might not like the h.264 stream from the r5000HD. I assume the same applies to the ATI HD2600. It would be a good experiment if you have the time.
Have you tried the Elecard codecs? They are the ones recommended by Nextcom and presumably the best match for the r5000HD. They are about $40 and have a free trial download. I haven't used them since I got the ones from WinDVD working.
Nextcom mpeg4 page: http://www.nextcomwireless.com/r5000...4%20Comparison

Elecard plugin:
http://www.elecard.com/products/prod...er/avc-plugin/
Old 10-25-2007, 10:23 AM
Sage User

Ok here is the latest. I have reloaded 2 of my HTPC from scratch. One has the ATI2600XT video card and the other has the Nvidia8600GTS card.

The ATI computer has the Cyberlink PDVD7 Ultra loaded. I can play all h.264 content but I have a slight stutter. The normal MPEG2 HD plays very well.

The Nvidia compter would not play any h.264 content until I loaded the PowerDVD7 ultra. I did install the Purevideo but I found out that software is almost useless. Every channel both HD and non HD is choppy and almost unwatchable. On the H.264 channels I get about 3 fps.

It looks like I will be getting a couple more ATI cards and trying to send back the nvidia cards. I did get a link for the beta nvidia drive which I might try but after 6 days of this crap I'm about over it all...
Old 10-25-2007, 10:37 AM
Sage User

CORRECTION!!! I did not have the cyberlink codec installed correctly on the Nvidia computer. I fixed the install and setup and now the Nvidia is playing h.264 better and smother than the ATI card...
Old 10-25-2007, 10:57 AM
Sage Aficionado

Congrats!!!!!
Old 01-13-2008, 09:15 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm trying to play an H.264 movie in Sage using the Cyberlink decoder. I think I have the merit set up correctly- I know it plays using that decoder in WMP. In Sage I'm not quite so sure. Sage starts up a new process- Sageplayer.exe. CPU usage is still really low, so I'm guessing its still using the Cyberlink decoders with hardware acceleration. Is there a way to figure out what its using?

But, the the main problem I have is that I can't change the volume when playing H.264 videos. The volume slider moves, but the audio level doesn't change. I'm not sure what to try to fix this.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOSG View Post
"Have you tried, using regedit, modifying :

Frey Technologies\Common\DSFilters\MpegDeMux\NumBuffers

and changing from 40 to 80."

and things run like a champ.
This was worth so much to me. I've been fighting stuttering H.264 for 3 weeks and this was the fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
But, the the main problem I have is that I can't change the volume when playing H.264 videos. The volume slider moves, but the audio level doesn't change. I'm not sure what to try to fix this.
I'm in the same boat.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:14 AM

With the audio issue, I have it happen when I am using a passthrough to my receiver/z5500 for Dolby Digital output. I just deal with it and control the volume with my receiver.