SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:04 PM
Sage User

Okay, now what?

Got SageTV to work with my DirectTV through my computer. However...

I can't change channels. When I use my DTV remote, it works fine but SageTV does not recognize the channel change (though it does go to the channel). When I try changing manually, SageTV recognizes the change but it does not ACTUALLY change to that channel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:19 PM
Administrator

You'll need to provide a way for SageTV to change the channel on the STB, so that SageTV controls what channel the box is set to & thus knows what it is recording.

A lot of people use an IR blaster, like the USB-UIRT, but you may be able to use a serial connection to change the channels, which may work more reliably.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:41 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
You'll need to provide a way for SageTV to change the channel on the STB, so that SageTV controls what channel the box is set to & thus knows what it is recording.

A lot of people use an IR blaster, like the USB-UIRT, but you may be able to use a serial connection to change the channels, which may work more reliably.

- Andy
Thanks the advice, Andy, but I need you talk to me as if I were a four year old. Seriously

I am about as proficient with electronics as an Amish elder.

That being said. I have an old infrared and remote which came with my VAIO. Will that help? What exactly is an IR Blaster or a serial connection?
Old 10-09-2007, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVWRITER View Post
Thanks the advice, Andy, but I need you talk to me as if I were a four year old. Seriously
Uh, OK, if you insist... Stop standing on the couch! If you do that again, I will turn the TV off and you won't be allowed on the couch for the rest of the day.

Quote:
That being said. I have an old infrared and remote which came with my VAIO. Will that help? What exactly is an IR Blaster or a serial connection?
I have no idea what came with your PC, so I don't know if it could do the job.

Essentially, SageTV has to have a way to be able to change the channel on the DirecTV box. Simply connecting the tuner card to the box doesn't give it the ability to a) know what channel the box is on, or b) cause the box to change its channel.

How can SageTV change the channel? There are at least a couple ways: 1) Use an IR blaster. This is a device, such as the USB-UIRT, that emits the IR signals to tell the box to change the channel, basically emulating the box's remote. 2) Use a serial connection, which uses a serial cable to connect a serial port on the back of your PC to the box. SageTV then sends channel changing commands via the serial cable.

This would be configured when the source is set up, when it asks for the tuning plugin.

I don't know if that description is any better than what I said previously... if not, what part(s) still need explanation.

Oh, and this is the USB-UIRT.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:06 AM
Sage User

Can you dumb it down a bit?

I kid. I tried hooking up the IR that came with the VAIO and SageTV set up is saying that it failed. It is a SONY PCVA-IR6U Infrared receiver. I tried contacting Sony but they could only give me the set for windows MCE:

http://tinyurl.com/3aur5m

That doesn't help me at all. Do I need drivers or something? The computer recognized the hardware when I set it up.

Thanks
Old 10-10-2007, 12:08 AM
Sage User

FYI I tried to set it up under the USB-UIRT option. Was that correct?
Old 10-10-2007, 01:04 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVWRITER View Post
It is a SONY PCVA-IR6U Infrared receiver.
An IR receiver is not the same as an IR blaster. A receiver takes IR commands into your PC, so you can control it using a remote. A blaster sends IR commands out of your PC to some other device (like your DirecTV box), so your PC can control that device. It's like the difference between a camera and a projector. Sage needs a blaster (not a receiver) so it can change the channels on your DirecTV box when it needs to.

The USB-UIRT is a specific IR blaster device. Enabling that setting in Sage tells Sage you're using that specific device. Using some other device with that setting isn't going to work.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:20 AM
Administrator

If, by some chance, that Sony IR device is more than just a receiver & is equivalent to an MCE remote + blaster, then check some of the sticky topics at the top of this (hardware) forum section. (I have no idea if it functions as an MCE IR blaster.)

- Andy
Old 10-10-2007, 02:53 AM
SageTVaholic

MCE remotes don't natively support blasting you'll have to add software. In my opinion, the easiest way to do this would be to set up serial port tuning. If you don't mind spending the money, that is. Which DirecTV box do you have?

B
Old 10-10-2007, 11:57 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
MCE remotes don't natively support blasting you'll have to add software. In my opinion, the easiest way to do this would be to set up serial port tuning. If you don't mind spending the money, that is. Which DirecTV box do you have?

B
How much would it be?

As for the type of DirecTV box.... hmmmm.... it does not have a manufacturer listed on it.

It says model D11.

It is silver, about 8-9 inches long, 2 inches tall. Hope that helps.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:41 PM
Sage Expert

Try here:

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...hlight=stb+d11

or here

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...hlight=stb+d11
Old 10-10-2007, 02:55 PM
Sage User

This is way beyond my scope of knowledge. All I want to do is set up one D-11 DirecTV box to my computer and be able to use either my DTV remote or my MCE remote to change channels.

I need the simplest and cheapest way to do this. IS that buying a serial cable? Serial to USB? Just tell me how and how much and I will do it. I don't want to spend $$$ on SageTV if I can't change channels or record and my trial is running out, so any (simple) instructions or suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:08 PM
Sage User

Update.

Duh. I DO have an IR Blaster. It hooks into the Infrared device that came with the VAIO. However, it still doesn't change channels. What software would I need to use this?

Thanks
Old 10-11-2007, 07:18 AM
Sage Expert

OK. First, a terminology lesson:

Infrared (IR) Receiver: Used to get the signal from a remote and send it to the computer.

IR Software: Takes that IR signal from the IR receiver and translates it to Sage. Many use Girder but EventGhost is free. I use the later located here:
http://www.eventghost.org/wiki/EventGhost:About

Sage: Takes the information from the IR software and runs commands in sage. Up arrow moves the cursor up. If it is a change channel function, Sage sends that signal to the blaster.

Blaster: Computer uses it to send an IR signal to an exteral device to control it. In this case, your D11. You DO NOT want to control your D11 with a remote, you want your blaster to do that. In fact, you want to make sure you use a remote that will not be recognized by your D11 or the remote will be controling the D11. USB-UIRT is 1 as well as your VAIO 1.

STB: Set top box. Your D11 is a STB. I mention this only because you may be wondering what that is.

Sage must be able to communicate with your blaster you spoke of in your last post. I am not sure it does but search for your blaster in this forum.

If you want to simplify things you need is the USB-UIRT w/additional 56KHz IR Sensor at the link Andy posted above. $55+$8 shipping and handling. This is an IR receiver and blaster. It works with Sage and EventGhost.

You are going to have to read the instructions in the Sage, EventGhost and USB-UIRT documentation. Also check out the FAQ in Andy's signature above. No offense but if you do not have time and patience you might want to drop Sage. This is a time consuming venture. We will all help as much as possible but you are not going to find specific instructions for your specific configuration.

That being said I would forget the remote right now. Use your keyboard and mouse to navigate Sage right now and try to get your blaster or the proven USB-UIRT to control the D11 first. Report back here with problems and/or I will help you with the next step.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:04 PM
Sage User

Kevine:

Thanks for the help. EventGhost didn't help. Must be the IR Blaster I have. I will eventually purchase the one you suggested and give it another shot.

Thanks again.