SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 12-27-2003, 12:34 PM

STVv2 Operating System Portability

Hey,
Just downloaded my 15 day trial of v1.4, PVR-350 isn't even here yet, but I can already tell my ReplayTV is will likely be on ebay within 24 hours of the v2 release. I've got just a couple questions:

Any plans on porting Sage Tv (or even just the Client) to other platforms? I know it uses MS DirectX. Is that the only thing keeping it from being portable? It just seems like a bummer to pay the price in system overhead to run the JVM, and not get the portability benefit (Was there some other reason Java was the language of choice?).

I know WineX is a DirectX-on-Linux solution, but unfortuneately it requires an OpenGL card and they recommend basically any card that SageTV doesn't support. That would be only one more operating system anyways.

I know, I'm rambling, but there's gotta be a way to do this!

I really want to put Sage Tv client on a wireless PDA, or on a FREE operating system (More money for my stack of PVR-250's).

Please tell me your thoughts,
Jamie
Old 12-27-2003, 01:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Hey, welcome to the forum

Quote:
I know WineX is a DirectX-on-Linux solution, but unfortuneately it requires an OpenGL card and they recommend basically any card that SageTV doesn't support.
First, Sage doesn't support/not support any video cards, I think you're confusing video cards with TV/capture cards.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Sage to be released on other platforms, Linux is about the only other OS with drivers for the capture cards used by Sage, and I doubt theres enough of a market to port Sage to linux. It would probably take a lot of architectural changes in Sage for it to work on linux.

The one exception is the Hauppage MediaMVP. It sounds like Sage will be released on/for that, but we don't have a timeframe yet.
Old 12-27-2003, 01:47 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via AIM to ErsatzTom
While I totally agree that there isn't much point in doing a full Sage port (the demand just couldn't possibly justify the work), just porting the client seems like a much smaller job. I've already personally volunteered to do any work necessary for free on a Mac OS X client port. That would really make me one happy camper.

t
Old 12-27-2003, 02:18 PM
Sage Icon

I agree with Tom in that I think that most people who are looking for support for other operating systems are looking for the client rather than the server (althought I would really like to dump my copies of XP for Linux). To me, one of the things that would really help would be support for a standard streaming protocol. That way I could use a web browser with my Quick Time plugin to control and watch programs from my Mac, or use mplayer on a Linux box.
Old 12-27-2003, 04:06 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via AIM to ErsatzTom
Quote:
Originally posted by fidget
To me, one of the things that would really help would be support for a standard streaming protocol. That way I could use a web browser with my Quick Time plugin to control and watch programs from my Mac, or use mplayer on a Linux box.
Yeah, this combined with the web interface hinted at for v2 would be a pretty acceptable cross-platform client solution.

t