SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:43 AM
Sage Fanatic

USB-UIRT question

I am planning on setting up a PVR using SageTV software on XP Pro OS and I am trying to learn more about the remote and ir blaster part where I want to be able to change channel or source using remote control and have SageTV tune my sat box or cable box etc to the correct channel or station.

Is the USB-UIRT both a remote reciever and an ir blaster in one or I need to get something to recieve remote signal to the PC?

When I went to the USB-UIRT homepage, I saw they offer two different verison of USB-UIRT that the second one have an additional 56KHz IR Sensor. What is the purpose of additional 56KHz IR Sensor?

If it does both recieves singal from remote control and ir blaster how would it be placed to be able to do both function with PVR box facing you near the tv and the USB-UIRT facing you as well so you could aim it with a remote or is there an ir blaster on the rear of USB-UIRT facing to the PVR box or you get a cable and a ir blaster on the end of it to tape it to the sat box or set box etc?

Thank you
Bill
Old 08-07-2007, 01:56 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechBill View Post
Is the USB-UIRT both a remote reciever and an ir blaster in one or I need to get something to recieve remote signal to the PC?
It is both.

Quote:
When I went to the USB-UIRT homepage, I saw they offer two different verison of USB-UIRT that the second one have an additional 56KHz IR Sensor. What is the purpose of additional 56KHz IR Sensor?
Some IR remotes work on 56KHZ instead of the more common 50KHz? frequency.

Quote:
If it does both recieves singal from remote control and ir blaster how would it be placed to be able to do both function with PVR box facing you near the tv and the USB-UIRT facing you as well so you could aim it with a remote or is there an ir blaster on the rear of USB-UIRT facing to the PVR box or you get a cable and a ir blaster on the end of it to tape it to the sat box or set box etc?
I beleive it both receives and blasts out the front. However, who says the PVR set-top-box, STB, has to be facing you? YOu may be able to set up the UIRT and the STB so that you can it to receive your remote signals and be in postion to blast to your STB. If not, the UIRT has a connector in the rear so that you can use cabled IR emitters. It is a little more setup involved, but not a problem.

The IR port on the UIRT is a stereo port for 2 zones. YOu need a stereo to L-mono and R-mono to split out the 2 zones. then you use a single emitter for each zone, http://www.hometech.com/infrared/emi...tml#BB-15521C7

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.

Last edited by ke6guj; 08-07-2007 at 01:59 AM.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:55 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
It is both.

Some IR remotes work on 56KHZ instead of the more common 50KHz? frequency.

I beleive it both receives and blasts out the front. However, who says the PVR set-top-box, STB, has to be facing you? YOu may be able to set up the UIRT and the STB so that you can it to receive your remote signals and be in postion to blast to your STB. If not, the UIRT has a connector in the rear so that you can use cabled IR emitters. It is a little more setup involved, but not a problem.

The IR port on the UIRT is a stereo port for 2 zones. YOu need a stereo to L-mono and R-mono to split out the 2 zones. then you use a single emitter for each zone, http://www.hometech.com/infrared/emi...tml#BB-15521C7
Thank you for the reply!

I think I will get one with addionital 56KHz ir since I'll never know if I need it and it only extra 5 dollar for it and it have both 50 and 56 in it correct?

I meant the STB or Sat box that the USB-UIRT need to face to be able to control it or change channel on it but I was more of wanting to hide the STB out of view and only have UIRT showing on top of TV etc. but it have a stereo jack on the rear? So I can get a ir blaster and plug it in the jack then attach an emitter to the STBs that are hidden out of view somewhere?

Thank again!
Bill
Old 08-07-2007, 01:25 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechBill View Post
Thank you for the reply!

I think I will get one with addionital 56KHz ir since I'll never know if I need it and it only extra 5 dollar for it and it have both 50 and 56 in it correct?
That is the way I look at it. If the the 56KHz is an add-on, and not a replacement, then I have both. I'm pretty sure it is an add-on. I'd fire off an email to support@usbuirt.com just to make sure. Actually, the 50Khz I thought before is actually 34-40KHz, but that doesn't really matter. I think if you want the 56Khz, that it may only be available from usbuirt.com.

It looks like Dish likes 56Khz, and a couple other manufacturers use 56Khz, so why not protect yourself for $5.

Quote:
I meant the STB or Sat box that the USB-UIRT need to face to be able to control it or change channel on it but I was more of wanting to hide the STB out of view and only have UIRT showing on top of TV etc. but it have a stereo jack on the rear? So I can get a ir blaster and plug it in the jack then attach an emitter to the STBs that are hidden out of view somewhere?
OK, others have complained about the front receiving and blasting causing there to be issues when setting up the location of the equipment. Some people get away with having everything front facing and letting the IR blast bounce off the walls to get back to the STB.

But, with the external blasters, you should be able to hide the STB completely out of view. You will either need to wire your own emiiter using one side of a stereo plug, or buy a pre-built emitter on a mono plug. If using a mono plug, you need to get a stereo to mono splitter. You will have to do some Zone tweeking in your setup, but that shouldn't be a problem. There are some big USB-UIRT threads here that have that info for you.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:17 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
That is the way I look at it. If the the 56KHz is an add-on, and not a replacement, then I have both. I'm pretty sure it is an add-on. I'd fire off an email to support@usbuirt.com just to make sure. Actually, the 50Khz I thought before is actually 34-40KHz, but that doesn't really matter. I think if you want the 56Khz, that it may only be available from usbuirt.com.

It looks like Dish likes 56Khz, and a couple other manufacturers use 56Khz, so why not protect yourself for $5.

OK, others have complained about the front receiving and blasting causing there to be issues when setting up the location of the equipment. Some people get away with having everything front facing and letting the IR blast bounce off the walls to get back to the STB.

But, with the external blasters, you should be able to hide the STB completely out of view. You will either need to wire your own emiiter using one side of a stereo plug, or buy a pre-built emitter on a mono plug. If using a mono plug, you need to get a stereo to mono splitter. You will have to do some Zone tweeking in your setup, but that shouldn't be a problem. There are some big USB-UIRT threads here that have that info for you.
I will do a search for those threads and thank you again!

Bill