SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-27-2007, 07:14 AM
Sage User

Sage Server as a service in Win2003 drive mapping

I have a win2003 64bit server (srv01) which has a d: drive (Raid 5) for media storage. I have a win2003 32bit server (srv02) that runs the sage server. I mapped 3 drive letters to srv01 for recording and importing content. This works great as long as I log in to srv02 with an account that has the drive letters mapped.

Since srv02 the sage server is not going to be accessed by a human normally I set Sage server to run as a service and to auto-start. Here the problems begin. Since Sage server starts without logging in and before the mapped drives get connected the sage service does not see the mapped drives and I can not access any of my content.

I wrote a .bat file to map the drives and installed a service to run the .bat file so that the drives get mapped before the sage server starts up but it does not work. Here is the procedure I used:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/243486/en-us

Does anyone have another way to have sage server run as a service with mapped drives to another computer and have the sage service see the mapped drives.

TIA

FYI, if I map the drives and then stop and start the service it still does not see the drives.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:23 AM
SageTVaholic

What user account is the SageTV service using? Why don't you use UNC paths instead of drive maps?

To connect to network shares, you need to use an account other than Local Service.

B
Old 07-27-2007, 07:31 AM
Sage Advanced User

Dang you bcjenkins. I was about to post that!

Oh well...

If you go to Computer Management and right-click on the SageTV Service. Click on the Log On tab, and click This Account and enter in the account information that should fix it. Due not if you are not using a domain, be sure the account exists on both servers and that the password is the same.

Thanks,
Protoman

- 1x HD 300
- 2x HD 200
Old 07-27-2007, 08:36 AM
Sage User

I did use an admin account but sage service still could not see the mapped drives.

I am using a domain and the account exists on both servers with the same password.

I tried the UNC paths but Sage could see the computer names (srv01) but would not see past that so I could not add the directories.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:37 AM
Sage User

Oh and did I mention, I HATE MICROSOFT!!!!!

If this was not a work application I would be doing everything in linux at home...
Old 07-27-2007, 09:46 AM
Sage User

Moved the sage server to srv01 and solved the problem...
Old 07-27-2007, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Note that unless that version of Windows is different from other versions, I don't believe a service can access mapped drive letters at all. That's why it is recommended to use UNC paths for network drives when using SageTV in service mode.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:04 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eguy View Post
I tried the UNC paths but Sage could see the computer names (srv01) but would not see past that so I could not add the directories.
What I do is click on the "Specify" button and type in the UNC path, such as \\server\share.
Quote:
Oh and did I mention, I HATE MICROSOFT!!!!!

If this was not a work application I would be doing everything in linux at home...
I think it is a limitation of windows services, that it doesn't support mapped drives. There is a linux version of SageTV by the way.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:29 PM
Sage User

Yes I know but I am working on a home automation system for sale to the public and some of the devices are not supported in Linux.

I do have a Linux server setup and ready to go but I want to get the first test system finished and buttoned up before I move on to the next. I am very much a noob with Sage and most of the other software we are using and I want to get my learning curve out of the way before I start working on a more proprietary type setup.

I did try to specify the UNC source and that did not work. In a few weeks I will have some time to do some more in depth troubleshooting and I'll get it figured out. Right now I have to install 7 different capture devices and get them all configured and then write the code to have CQC control Sage. This has got to be the funniest job I have ever had... LOL...

Thanks for all the help and I will follow up when I get it figured out. I am sure it is a Microsoft issue....
Old 07-27-2007, 01:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Right now I have to install 7 different capture devices and get them all configured and then write the code to have CQC control Sage.
I thought there was already a driver for that, IVB is using it IIRC.