SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-08-2007, 06:00 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bialio View Post
Here's my default graph for what I have on my Vista machine.

Hardware is almost identical to yours - 8500GT, dual core E4400, Vista Business. I have the Nvidia Purevideo decoder installed. No other encoders installed other than the ones Sage installs.

Click on the link at my blog for the full res version.

http://serenity-htpc.blogspot.com/20...dia-graph.html

Settings in Sage - VMR9, 3d on, full screen OFF, Video Decoder = NVidia, Audio Decoder = AC3Filter

btl.
By the purevideo decoder, do you mean the old purevideo decoder for XP? Or the one built into Vista's nvidia drivers?

Thanks,
mike
Old 07-08-2007, 06:03 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet View Post
Yes, changing to an ATI card will solve the problem that I described. This was proven by a sageTV engineer. With even the latest Nvidia cards and drivers, this problem still exists.

I could be wrong about this, but I think playing hardware accelerated H.264 requires DXVA 2.0 (aka Purevideo HD). I know for a fact that SageTV doesnt support any decoders with DXVA 2.
BTW, this is part of why I want Sage to supper BR and HD-DVD playback, even if it's just for unencrypted content. They'd have to make the hardware acceleration work for that. And they could do wonders for the default MPEG2 codec at the same time.

I would venture to guess that that would be very popular with their user base. We're all early adopters.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 07-08-2007, 06:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Yes, I got it to work with that same graph as well using the NVidia Transport demux. The problem is with the sagetv mpeg splitter.

Quote:

Hardware is almost identical to yours - 8500GT, dual core E4400, Vista Business. I have the Nvidia Purevideo decoder installed. No other encoders installed other than the ones Sage installs.

btl.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 07-08-2007, 06:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
By the purevideo decoder, do you mean the old purevideo decoder for XP? Or the one built into Vista's nvidia drivers?

Thanks,
mike
The old one. The "DVD-BRONZE" product to be exact.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Old decoder for XP. The one buillt into Vista nvidia drivers is Purevideo HD.

Quote:

Thanks,
mike

***RIP SageTV***
Old 07-08-2007, 06:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yes, I got it to work with that same graph as well using the NVidia Transport demux. The problem is with the sagetv mpeg splitter.
IF that's the case I'm not sure what to tell you at this point - in Sage TV and out I get flawless playback with my Vista system.

Is there a way to see the graph that Sage is actually using? Or are we just assuming that it uses the SageTV mpeg splitter?

You might have tried this, but you could disable the SageTV mpeg splitter (from Radlight Filter Manager or some other DirectShow util) and see if Sage would start using a different one.....
Old 07-08-2007, 06:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Btl, can you please try that same graph with the sageTV mpeg2 splitter and see what it says for the Nvidia video prop page?

Quote:

Settings in Sage - VMR9, 3d on, full screen OFF, Video Decoder = NVidia, Audio Decoder = AC3Filter

btl.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 07-08-2007, 06:21 PM
SageTVaholic

I already tried unregistering the sageTV mpeg2 splitter. regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\SageTV\Common\stvmcspmpeg.ax

Bottom line for me is, using hardware acceleration in sageTV with nvidia decoder or any other decoder that uses hardware acceleration will have jerky video. It works perfectly in graphedit with the graph you posted on my machine.. always has. But in sageTV I can't figure out what graph it's using, its obviously not the one I see in graphedit when the system builts it... even when I have sageTV using the default decoders.

Quote:
IF that's the case I'm not sure what to tell you at this point - in Sage TV and out I get flawless playback with my Vista system.

Is there a way to see the graph that Sage is actually using? Or are we just assuming that it uses the SageTV mpeg splitter?

You might have tried this, but you could disable the SageTV mpeg splitter (from Radlight Filter Manager or some other DirectShow util) and see if Sage would start using a different one.....

***RIP SageTV***
Old 07-08-2007, 06:31 PM
SageTVaholic

When I put the SageTV Splitter in that graph I don't get the nvidia icon in the tray, so I don't know what properties it might have.

I just remembered that I DID install one other set of decoders. I purchased the Sonic Vista Decoder Pack for $15. To the best of my knowledge it installed the default Microsoft MPEG2 codecs.

btl.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:31 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:

I notice you are outputting 720p to your TV. I am pretty sure mkanet outputs 1080p to his display. Mike, could you try resetting your display output to 720p and see if that stops the jerkiness? I know that's not an acceptable setting, but it may be helpful for debugging.

Thanks,
mike
Old 07-08-2007, 06:33 PM
SageTVaholic

What happens if you use the sageTV splitter and just use the same filter components listed in your picture? You can access the prop page by right clicking the nvidia video decoder component in graphedit.

Quote:
When I put the SageTV Splitter in that graph I don't get the nvidia icon in the tray, so I don't know what properties it might have.

I just remembered that I DID install one other set of decoders. I purchased the Sonic Vista Decoder Pack for $15. To the best of my knowledge it installed the default Microsoft MPEG2 codecs.

btl.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 07-08-2007, 06:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Same thing.

Quote:
I notice you are outputting 720p to your TV. I am pretty sure mkanet outputs 1080p to his display. Mike, could you try resetting your display output to 720p and see if that stops the jerkiness? I know that's not an acceptable setting, but it may be helpful for debugging.

Thanks,
mike

***RIP SageTV***
Old 07-08-2007, 06:35 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:

btl.
Isn't that for XP? It didn't show up on your graph either...

thanks,
mike
Old 07-08-2007, 06:42 PM
SageTVaholic

This video jerkyness doesnt happen in sageTv for all content.. only 1080i video based material (ie jay leno, david letterman). Doesnt happen in 1080i movies or 480p ATSC

Quote:
What happens if you use the sageTV splitter and just use the same filter components listed in your picture? You can access the prop page by right clicking the nvidia video decoder component in graphedit.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 07-08-2007, 06:44 PM
SageTVaholic

This is the roxio product I'm refering to :

http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/ci.../overview.html

It doesn't show up in the graph, so I'm guessing the roxio installed codecs have a lower merit than the Nvidia codecs.

btl.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
This video jerkyness doesnt happen in sageTv for all content.. only 1080i video based material (ie jay leno, david letterman). Doesnt happen in 1080i movies or 480p ATSC
Have you tried changing the Audio Filter? I never had much luck with the nvidia audio filters. That's why I installed AC3Filter. Just shooting in the dark now.....

btl.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:46 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
OK - did this and the nvidia decoder properties didn't change from when I have the NVidia Demux vs SageTV splitter.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Yes, I've tried that. I've tried everything I could think of except for trying to start from a clean OS again. I guess this problem isn't as easy to reproduce as I thought. I wish I knew what's different about my setup thats causing this.

Quote:
Have you tried changing the Audio Filter? I never had much luck with the nvidia audio filters. That's why I installed AC3Filter. Just shooting in the dark now.....

btl.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 07-09-2007, 04:32 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I already tried unregistering the sageTV mpeg2 splitter. regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\SageTV\Common\stvmcspmpeg.ax

Bottom line for me is, using hardware acceleration in sageTV with nvidia decoder or any other decoder that uses hardware acceleration will have jerky video. It works perfectly in graphedit with the graph you posted on my machine.. always has. But in sageTV I can't figure out what graph it's using, its obviously not the one I see in graphedit when the system builts it... even when I have sageTV using the default decoders.
You can find out what graph Sage is using by checking out the debug log. I recall reading in another thread where Jeff posted that there is a way to force Sage to use the Nvidia demux by using a registry setting (which he didn't provide) but doing so breaks live tv hence why we are forced to use the Sage splitter.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
I'm fairly sure you are wrong. Using an ATI card instead of an NVidia card resolves the issue and that has nothing to do with the SageTV Mpeg DeMux. Also; when you insert it into GraphEdit it's not getting configured properly like it would be when SageTV inserts it into the graph. (SageTV configures all the buffer settings appropriately)

When we reproduced this problem it wasn't even using the SageTV DeMux. VMR9 or Overlay were not yielding smooth playback under any configuration in GraphEdit (due to not using DXVA).

All data on this points to an NVidia driver issue. NVidia is still working on updating their drivers to be fully functional on Vista. They even tell you so here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_158.24.html

I'd highly recommend submitting bugs to NVidia on this issue. That will give them justification for putting resources on resolving the issue related to DXVA with Overlay/VMR9 playback on Vista.