SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:16 AM
Sage User

Question livetv recording jumps to realtime

Ok here's the scenario you record a currently airing show, then you come back to watch it later while it is still airing, but instead of it playing from the point where you started the recording it skips to the end of the recording.

I’m not sure if this is new or if I just started to notice this behaviour, or even if it something I’m doing wrong

Any help much appreciated.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:37 AM
SageTVaholic

Depends on where you start it from, if you start from the guide or LiveTV option, it will start at the "live" point. If you start from the recordings list, it should start from the beginning, or whre you left off.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:05 PM
Sage User

seems that if you play the currently recording file it starts playback from the last veiwed point but if you exit playback and then go back to play it for a second time it jumps to livetv.

Not a problem really as it only happens when the program is still airing, and most of my recording is done through favs.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:50 AM
SageTVaholic

I've complained about this before and always recieved the frustrating response of "that's just the way it is". This "feature" has spoiled the ending of several F1 races for me

Edit: Stranger89 - Starting from the recordings list goes to the live point, not the last viewed point.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:52 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
I've complained about this before and always recieved the frustrating response of "that's just the way it is". This "feature" has spoiled the ending of several F1 races for me

Edit: Stranger89 - Starting from the recordings list goes to the live point, not the last viewed point.
Really, as far as I can remember, if I start a recording from Sage Recordings, it always starts at the beginning (or where I left off).
Old 07-07-2007, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAK View Post
seems that if you play the currently recording file it starts playback from the last veiwed point but if you exit playback and then go back to play it for a second time it jumps to livetv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post

I realize there may be a side effect from the core that I'm forgetting about, but exactly what commands are being used to watch a recording that is in progress? And, exactly what STV is being used? (System Info displays the STV version number.)

I set up a show to record, watched a few minutes, then anywhere I choose to view that recording, it starts at the beginning of what was recording, not at the live point. I can start/stop playback as often as I want & it resumes where I last left off.

If I just use the Live TV option on the Main Menu or the Live TV command, it will jump to being 'live', but that was the only way I was able to reproduce this right now.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:34 PM
Sage User

Ok Here’s what I’ve found out so far.

My PVR150 + STB via S-vid, controlled by usbuirt.
Works as Opus Says e.g.
Livetv->Record->Stop->Play (Multiple times) = Playback starts at last viewed point or start of Recording.

However my Cinergy 2400i does not conform to this(should it?).
Here are the steps.

ALL SAGE DEFAULTS
MVP

Skips on First Viewing.

Program Guide -> Play -> Record -> Record This Show -> Stop -> “Wait X mins” -> Play = “Playback jumps to end!”.

Skips on second viewing (play, stop then play again.).

Program Guide -> “Select Different channel” -> Record -> Record This Show -> “Wait X mins” -> Play = “Playback from last viewed point or start of recording” -> Stop -> Play = “playback jumps to end!”.

Same results if recording selected from recording schedule.

PLACESHIFTER

It Does not exhibit these characteristics.

SAGETV(Server Side)

I presume this will be ok as opus has found.

I hope this makes sense

It is a bit annoying as most of my viewing is done through a MVP, although I only occasionally record shows when they are currently being viewed or still being aired.

Opus
I don’t think this (not sure) should be in the Beta area as I think this was happening previously and it looks like it’s a Mvp thing.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Program Guide -> Play -> Record -> Record This Show -> Stop -> “Wait X mins” -> Play = “Playback jumps to end!”.
Where is this last "Play" occurring? Stop would take you back to the guide right, so that would be playing from the guide, which would jump to live IIRC.

Quote:
Program Guide -> “Select Different channel” -> Record -> Record This Show -> “Wait X mins” -> Play = “Playback from last viewed point or start of recording” -> Stop -> Play = “playback jumps to end!”.
Dito, where are you doing the second Play from?
Old 07-07-2007, 04:51 PM
Sage User

all from guide, no other command in between

and tried from recordings

are you using MVP?
Old 07-07-2007, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
ALL SAGE DEFAULTS
MVP

Skips on First Viewing.

Skips on second viewing (play, stop then play again.).

PLACESHIFTER

It Does not exhibit these characteristics.
If it doesn't jump to the end on the Placeshifter, then are you using a different STV on the MVP? The MVP doesn't reset the STV to the default one after an upgrade if you are using a custom STV.

Also, is the menu BG or preview window set to play video on the MVP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
...so that would be playing from the guide, which would jump to live IIRC.
Playing a show from the Guide shouldn't be making it jump to the point of live TV. The only time the default STV is designed to jump forward to the current time of the live recording is when you use the "Live TV" command, or that same-named entry on the Main Menu. This was changed a few STV versions ago, but I don't remember exactly when.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:58 PM
Sage User

SageTV3 on all.

video menu options = Never and window.

thanks
Old 07-07-2007, 05:09 PM
Administrator

I guess it is something specific to that type of tuner, then, and it isn't STV related. That seems to sound familiar, but I don't have any links to other posts about it right now.

I did the same thing on my MVP & it never jumped to the current recording time unless I used the Live TV command, but I'm using a PVR-250 & a PVR-USB2.

But, as I asked above, what is the exact STV version for the MVP, as reported on System Information?

- Andy
Old 07-07-2007, 05:12 PM
Sage User

Sorry, SageTv3.xml(Version 6.2.4.1 June 27)

Yeh, i think its the tuner (or digital ota tunning), as in my post above the pvr150 works as yours.

Last edited by DRAK; 07-07-2007 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

I am seeing the same as Drak. I have a show currently recording on my Cinergy 2400i

In Sage Client choose "watch now" from the SageTv recordings menu. The timelime says that the show is at the beginning but it is showing the live point. Skip back 10s and you jump back to the start of the recording.

In placeshifter do the same and the timeline says it is at the beginning and it showing the beginning

I don't have an MVP to test. I am using the default STV with a minor modification to show the date and time.

I'm sure that this has been happening for many versions.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:32 PM
Sage User

Yep your right,
i thought it was just when you started recording a currently airing show that this happened.

However i scheduled a recording earlier before the show was airing which is still airing.

So i went into Recordings and it played from the begining on first attempt, on second attempt 12mins in and on the third attemp it skiped to the end!

my timeline is accurate though
Old 07-07-2007, 05:41 PM
SageTVaholic

I've got an nVidia DualTV, a PVR-150, and a HDHomeRun. Running the latest beta default STV on an MVP. Extra features enabled, ComSkip Playback STVi.

If a favorite is recording and I select it from the SageTV Recordings menu it starts at the beginning. Hit the stop button, then the enter button, then select Watch Now and it jumps to real time.

I'll have to look at the STV info, right now both MVPs are in use

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have the same behavious as Drak, on my main Sage computer. Not sure about the MVPs. I have three FireDTV (2 DVB-T and one DVB-C) tuners. I used to have a PVR-USB2, and then I do not think I had this behaviour.

/Per
Old 07-07-2007, 05:46 PM
Sage User

tmiranda
my pvr150(external tunner STB Svideo) always starts from the last viewed point.

are yours all interal tuner, so sage does the tunning?
Old 07-08-2007, 06:45 AM
SageTVaholic

I have no set top boxes or external tuners. All of the tuners are plugged directly into the cable from the wall.

Edit: STV version = SageTV V6.2.4.145 - Client (the behaviour is the same on the MVPs)

Also, the progress bar reports that I am at the last watched location but it is incorrect, I'm really at the live point.

Last edited by tmiranda; 07-08-2007 at 06:52 AM.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:44 AM
Sage Advanced User

I have the same issue with going back to watching a show that is still in progress. It is specially frustating during a sports event since it takes me to some point past where I left off and I see the score.

I have seen this in all the Sage versions that I have used. Now I just hit the rewind button several times (with my eyes closed) so I do not see the score. Not a technical solution but it is what I have to do.

Clients: HP dm1(E350), HD-100