SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-25-2007, 04:28 PM
Sage User

Help Appreciated: No audio on Video Source

All

Am currently evaluating sage and so far love it. However, I have an audio problem that I would appreciate some help with;

I have two sound devices;
SoundMax Onboard audio
M-Audio Delta 410 sound card

I have SPDIF out from the Soundmax connected to my A/V receiver and set as the sound render device under Sage A/V prefs. This works great as I can play music files, DVDs etc. and sound eminates from my speakers.

I have set up a video source from my satellite decoder using the UNE system to connect my HoloGraph H3D capture card and video plays back superbly.

I have connected the analog audio out from my satellite receiver to my M-Audio In 1/2 and can confirm a signal is present via the m-audio control panel (and in sound recorder).

I have accessed my source configuration in Sage and set the audio input to be the M-Audio 1/2 input.

However, when I play live TV, there is no sound output. Any thoughts?

(I did manage to get audio by including the input in my graph for UNE thereby encoding the sound directly into the mpeg stream dump, however, synch was very poor).

Thanks in advance,

Peter
Old 06-27-2007, 05:49 AM
Sage User

Well, I had no luck getting sound in from either the M-audio or SoundMax inputs when I selected them in the source audio configuration is Sage.

I revisited my Graph file and added audio input and encoding and attached it to the muxer. That worked. My live TV now has sound *almost* in sync.

However, adding the sound to the UNE graph has significantly increased baseline CPU usage.

I'm still curious as to how I might utilise the audio inputs directly in Sage.

Peter
Old 06-27-2007, 02:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Does your HoloGraph card have an audio input on it?
Old 06-27-2007, 04:38 PM
Sage User

No

The holograph is a video capture card only (s-video, component, rgbv, SDI).

My two audio input options are M-Audio 410 (analogue or SPDIF) or on-board SoundMax.

Peter
Old 06-27-2007, 05:46 PM
SageTVaholic

Yeah, that's your problem right there. You have a software encoder. That's a big problem. Even if you get the sound working, you are going to find that you may have sync issues with your sound (sounds like you already have) and that is because you are using multiple cards to do one thing. Hardware encoders (such has hauppauge PVR150) do all in one card (capture video and audio) so that no sync issues form. These also use the least amount of processing power (not that processing power is as big of a deal anymore as it used to be). I would really recommend sticking to the hardware encoders recommended under the system requirements page.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 06-27-2007, 06:43 PM
Sage User

Thanks Paul

Actually, the synch i pretty good - no more than a couple of frames.

I'm reluctant to go with a dedicated PVR card as;

1. I have the H3D (>$800 new a few years ago)
2. It gives me RGB direct input from by digibox (as opposed to RF)
3. The picture is superb!
4. Has ability to capture SDI for even better pic quality in future

Actually, I'm quite happy with the setup. Need to do a bit more stress testing. Yesterday, I resurrected an old 1GHz AMD Duron MB with 256 MB RAM and a 10/100 ethernet port. Fired up Sage Client and was impressed with the performance with simple o-board video.

Think I'm about to find a use for a few old machines I've squirlled away.

Peter
Old 06-27-2007, 09:11 PM
Sage User

If your capture card doesn't have audio input, which it sounds like it doesn't, you're going to have this problem.

Either capture audio & video thru same hardware, or settle for "almost" sync. I wouldn't even though I haven't seen this card's picture quality.

When I capture a video, it goes into my library and I want it available long past my hardware is obsolete.