SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:58 AM
Sage Expert

Best CPU for a new Sage Server.

I'm gonna be upgrading my server in the next month or two. I want to be able to start recording in HD before the fall season starts and transcoding to MVPs, as well as using comskip. (Yeah, I know the HD extender will be here by then <fingers-crossed>) but I need more disk space and want to start using sata drives.

I currently have an amd xp2600 w/ 512meg ram and 3 250 gig drives.

Only thing I'll keep from my current system is the case and dvd player.
I'm planning on getting a system with 2 gig ram, 3 500 gig drives, on board video, sound, ethernet, etc. This will be my server in my closet.

I'd like to be able to transcode up to 2 HD recordings simultaneously, as well as enable comskip and watch DVDs stored on my server.

So there-in lies my question. I'll need a CPU for this server.

My choices: AMD 5000 - AMD 5600+ or Intel E6400, 6600, or 6700 Core 2 Duo procs.

I want to get as much horsepower as I need but don't want to blow the bank if not necessary.

Is the E6400 enough? Is Intel better than AMD? I haven't built a system in years (my xp2600+ has served me well since 2002) but I need more speed and storage.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:10 AM
Sage Aficionado

I'm a big fan of the Core 2 Duo's right now. You get a ton of horsepower in a cool and quiet package.

I'd go for the E6600, it's at a great price right now.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:21 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhyman1 View Post
I'm a big fan of the Core 2 Duo's right now. You get a ton of horsepower in a cool and quiet package.

I'd go for the E6600, it's at a great price right now.
After I posted, I did some searching on these forums.
Found someone posted a link to tom's hardware:
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.ht...=432&chart=174

Something I've been looking for for quite a while. Looks like the E6600 is at the sweet spot now.

thanks
Old 06-14-2007, 08:39 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybrew View Post
After I posted, I did some searching on these forums.
Found someone posted a link to tom's hardware:
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.ht...=432&chart=174

Something I've been looking for for quite a while. Looks like the E6600 is at the sweet spot now.

thanks
I just got one of these and its awesome. Running comskip, Sage, and H.264 viewing all a the same time with no hickups. Get a Nvidia 8500GT or 8600GTS while your at it.

Technazz
Old 06-14-2007, 08:56 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by technazz View Post
I just got one of these and its awesome. Running comskip, Sage, and H.264 viewing all a the same time with no hickups. Get a Nvidia 8500GT or 8600GTS while your at it.

Technazz
This server will be in my closet. I plan to just use the onboard video.
I wonder if I should change my idea about that though. Maybe I ought to put this server in my media room. I'd certainly save a few bucks on at least one HD extender. And I'd have the added benefit of having a PC with a 119" screen.
I doubt it would be too terribly noisy.

Damn. this really changes everything.

But my wife would probably appreciate her closet being a bit less hot. I could keep the switch, router, modem and stuff all in the closet since I did run ethernet to the room.

So what's the cheapest card I could get with a system like this (E6600, 2gig ram, 3x500 gig drives)

I gotta admit, PC gaming on this thing with a 119" screen would be nice.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:12 AM
SageTVaholic

Sounds like you made your decision on proc and the E6600 is my recommendation if not overclocking. It really takes a core 2 duo running about 2.2GHZ to be able to do on the fly transcoding to the MVP at High Quality. The E6400 may be able to pull it off, but it would be close (too close if you ask me).

As far as vid cards. The drivers for the 8500 and 8600 for Windows Xp are a bit lacking at this moment espcially when it comes to H.264. The reviews for these cards running Vista looks rather impressive (especially for the price point). I belive their might also be some Beta drivers for windows xp out there, but I always worry about beta drivers for HTPC's (in my opinion stability takes a front seat to speed and features). Otherwise a silent 7600GT isn't a bad choice or if you are ATI/AMD inclined for video cards there is the X1650 series would be my recommendation (although I haven't used an ATI video card since the original AIW).
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 06-14-2007, 11:06 AM
Sage Icon

Well since you are planning on doing this in a month or two I recommend waiting until after the July 22 Intel CPU price drops.
RegHardware

Although the E6600 is not mentioned directly it will probably come down as well and the new chips seem like they may a better deal anyways.
I am eyeing the E6850 for $266.00. 3GHZ dual-core with 1333Mhz Frontside Bus.
Wahtever you decide, good luck...
Old 06-14-2007, 11:24 AM
Sage Expert

I've been waiting a bit. I'm not in a huge hurry.

I agree stability is most important. I won't be overclocking this.
I HAVE watched HD recorded on my server (hd homerun) via my laptop and on my wife's PC. Also watched it once on an mvp. The only time I got it working on the mvp, it was super smooth.

I think the 7600GT an an ATI card is more than good enough.
I did mention gaming, but that would be more an occasional thing. Playing flightsim at 119" would be sweet. I don't need a top of the line card for that either. Heck, I've gamed plenty with my amd xp2600 & geforce ti4400. I was happy with that setup. This upgrade will be huge for me.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:47 AM
Sage Aficionado

My experience thanks to the guys here...

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25508
Old 06-14-2007, 11:57 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbec View Post
My experience thanks to the guys here...

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25508
So I take it you're really happy with the E6600?
Comskip/showanalyzer works great? HD transcoding on the fly is smooth on the mvps?
Old 06-14-2007, 01:16 PM
Sage Icon

AMD X2! Please! Without AMD, Intel would be charging $1000 for a CPU chip.
My 4600+ AMD chip does transcoding in the background and there's plenty of CPU time left (Task Manager view).
Writes DVD with very low CPU use.

Not saying AMD's dual core is "better". Just less expensive, runs cool, and we do not need an Intel monopoly.

Last edited by stevech; 06-14-2007 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:32 PM
Sage Fanatic

I bought an xp5600 as the mobo/processor combination cost me £40 less than the c2d E6420 I was origianally looking at.

I think the performance difference is minimal, it's all down to the best price at the time you buy, but I don't think you'll be disappointed with either.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:21 PM
SageTVaholic

I prefer AMD. All computers I have ever built have been AMD based computers until I built my Intel Core 2 Duo E4300. If it wasn't for the amazing overclockability of the E4300, I would probably have purchased a X2 4200 or 4800. I just helped my parents order an X2 3800 for their office. You should always buy what is your best bang for your buck to suit your needs, but just because you are worried about a monopoly shouldn't be the deciding factor. What would force AMD to create better processors if we just bought them "just to keep them in business"?
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 06-14-2007, 06:49 PM
Sage Icon

I'm going to upgrade to the Intel QX6700 quad-core after the July 22nd price drop. The QX6700 is supposed to drop to $530 after July 22nd. The price is now $968, and was about $1169 several months ago. Many of the Intel dual-cores are going to drop below $200.

My old SageTV AMD 2800 system board when bad about a week ago. I am now using an old AMD 2100 system, which does not have enough CPU to transcode H.264 files to my media extender without stuttering.

If you have the money to put into a better system, it will probably be worth it. SageTV is addicting and it will probably always be needing more CPU and memory resource in the future.

Dave
Old 06-14-2007, 09:08 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybrew View Post
So I take it you're really happy with the E6600?
Comskip/showanalyzer works great? HD transcoding on the fly is smooth on the mvps?
I had an XP 2100+ for hte last 4 years. As mentioned, the whole thing blew. After moving to this it has been nothing short of phenominal. The MVP is near instantaneous in its reaction time. HD transcoding works without a hitch (although I need to caveat that I have not tried transcoding to more than 1 MVP at the same time - haven't really needed to). Comskip/Showanalyzer work great. I honestly couldn't be happier with it. Well, not true, Sage could release the HD extender they "promised."

On the others posts, FWIW, I have been a huge AMD fan as well. Have owned their stock for years and have been an avid AMD, AMD, AMD guy. However, sorry to say it, the E6600 has them by the nose right now. Especially given the overclocking potential. AMD has hyped their next chip architecture quite a bit and I am very interested to see how it turns out. I sincerely hope they stick it to Intel when they do. However, at the end of the day, capitalism ruled and I bought what I thought was the best deal and have been very happy with the results. As for how the stock has done on the other hand .. not so happy there.

On the quad core thing, I looked into that as well. I must say, it looked very appealing. However, I couldn't justify the price at nearly $1K versus the $270 or so I could pick the E6600 up on Newegg. The motherboard I got supports Quadcore processors, so maybe 2 years or so from now I will swap out processors on the cheap.

Last edited by malbec; 06-14-2007 at 09:15 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:44 PM
Sage Expert

I've been an AMD guy as well for many years. Last system I built was the XP 2600.

Last Intel chips I bought were PII 450s and Celeron 300s (oc'd to 450), and I did have one media center pc running a celeron 1.7 - something in that box died on me a few years ago.

But most of what I've built has been AMD. I just personally want the best stable system for the money and for a sage server, I'll forgo the overclocking.

--------
One thing I need to check on - I need to make sure I can put my system in my media room. I'm almost positive I have enough coax up there for all my tuner cards. Yeah, I can split it and get an amp, but I have to be careful how much I split it. I think I can do it though, and I'll probably move my current server up there now just as a proof of concept (make sure it doesn't get too hot/isn't too noisy/cable works OK/room for digital cable box/etc).

Might have a project to do this weekend.
Also this may serve an additional benefit. I think my server is probably OK to play back HD. If my laptop can do it, and my wife's slower PC with much slower graphics card can do it, I think my server ought to be OK.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:54 AM
Sage User

The July 22 Quad Core is the way I will go!

Ybrew,

I put my Sage Server together back in December and have been using a E6300 since then. I am going to get a quad core in July for multiple, simultaneous comskip and transcoding. My experience is that if you are recording 2 or more programs at the same time and have an equal number of instances of comskips running...... it will cause problems with video output. This is mainly a problem for us because often we wait a half an hour to begin watching a live show. I like to use the comskip marks to skip the commercials. If I have 3 comskips working the video is very compromised; if I have comskip set to use only one instance at a time (and have good video) it nearly always begins working on a program that I am not watching therefore having me to manually skip commercials. I therefore want a quad core to allow 3 instances of comskip and overhead or say 2 instances of comskip and a transcode and overhead, etc.

In summary if you are going to use multiple instances of comskip and/or transcoding then I would recommend a quad but wait until July 22. By the way, even when I overclocked my E6300 to 3.0 Ghz it would still not perform adequately with mutliple comskips/transcode. I need the extra cores in my opinion.

Hope this helps in your decision making.

Clients : 1 HD Extender, 2 wired MVPs and 1 Placeshifter
Old 06-15-2007, 07:14 AM
Sage Expert

I don't necessarily mind fast forwarding commercials. I'd rather save the money on the dual core for now. I likely will wait until after july 22nd though.

also verified - I did run enough coax up to the media room. Relocating the server up here shouldn't be an issue.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:24 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
That's how much Intel is currently charging for the 2.4GHz Q6600, launched last January - its price will fall to $266.
$266 for a Quad core? Basically 2 E6600's. This is what I'm getting to build my next server.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:40 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd_maniac View Post
$266 for a Quad core? Basically 2 E6600's. This is what I'm getting to build my next server.
Well, if I do wait, and the price is THAT low, we'll see.

I think I can wait.