SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-08-2007, 10:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

Accessing filesystem error

Greetings, just jumped feet first into the deep end last week and set up my sagetv server, client and mvp (soon to be another). The server and mvp are working great and I already started with the community created addons. But I am running into a problem with the client. Description is:

server and client installed using the 6.1.8 setup files. Downloaded at same time, so definitely using matching versions. Java version is 1.6. The problem is that I am getting the Playbackexception error -3,0x80004005 problem accessing the filesystem for playback (typed that in search on these boards and google so much the last couple days I have it memorized =/) I have burned a couple of my son's disney dvds and those play back fine (only 210 more dvds to go!). It is when I try to access either music or live/recorded tv that I get the error. I am not running sagetv as a service. I have tried both unc pathnames as well as mapping matching letter network drives to those shares on both computers. Nothing I do affects the servers ability to do everything, but I can not seem to get access to anything other than movies on the client.

I am admittedly not a file permission expert, but I know enough to follow directions and/or suggestions I have found in other posts. I went so far as to try giving "everyone" full control and change access in share permissions and gave allow for everything in the security window for my cd_music folder and still could not access it through sage. I was able to delete files at will, so my client definitely had full access. I can play the files using WMP outside of sage, so again, the client can access those drive areas, just not through sage.

Is there something special I have to do to give appropriate permissions to the client? It is really throwing me off that it can access one folder and not another. The music and movie folders are on the same physical drive in the server as well. I have searched for an answer for several days now, leaving the problem and coming back to it, and am not getting anywhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am hoping it is something easy that I am missing in my newness to sagetv.

On the plus side, my mvp media extender worked out of the box no matter what I did to it, so the wife is still interested and hopeful =)

*edit* oh, and i also uninstalled the client, deleted the sagetv folders and then reinstalled it (i did not clean the registry tho) and it did not make any difference.
Client2: HD200, 40" Samsung LCD bedroom
Client3: HD100, 42" Panasonic Plasma kid's playroom; Client4: MVP, 36" CRT basement workout area; Client5: MPV 13" CRT garage workbench
Old 05-08-2007, 11:05 PM
Administrator

What are the exact paths for your import dirs? You could just list seeker/archive_directory from sage.properties on your server. And list seeker/video_storage for the recording dirs.

Choose a song that doesn't play, then view the Song Detail page for it. What does it show as the file path?

Similarly, choose a recording that doesn't play, then view the Recording Detail screen to get the file path to it.

If the client can access that path directly, it will try to play it w/o streaming via the server. If that path exists on the client, but the file isn't there, I think it won't be played.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

seeker/archive_directory=N\:\\,1;O\:\\,2;
seeker/video_storage=Q\:\\,10000000000,2;

File:[O:\Baha Men\Pop Mix\01 Who Let The Dogs Out (Radio Remix.mp3] same path on both server and client
File:[V:\tv_recordings\Heroes-TheHardPart-87411-0.mpg] again, same path both places, this was recorded using unc pathname, before i changed to Q drive mapping. The physical drive that all the mapped drives lead to is the V:\ drive in the server, which is where that V came from.

Should sageclient.properties on the client machine reflect these positions? It still has the default myvideo, etc, etc in the mydocs folder, or does it ignore those?

What are the ,1 and ,2's in the archive directory pathnames? It looks like the ,1 is the only one i can access, while the ,2's are ones I can not access. Coincidence?

And heh, looks like I broke my live tv on my server when I changed from unc to mapped drive. I am sure I just missed something that I had to refresh.
Client3: HD100, 42" Panasonic Plasma kid's playroom; Client4: MVP, 36" CRT basement workout area; Client5: MPV 13" CRT garage workbench
Old 05-09-2007, 12:08 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam99 View Post
seeker/archive_directory=N\:\\,1;O\:\\,2;
seeker/video_storage=Q\:\\,10000000000,2;

File:[O:\Baha Men\Pop Mix\01 Who Let The Dogs Out (Radio Remix.mp3] same path on both server and client
File:[V:\tv_recordings\Heroes-TheHardPart-87411-0.mpg] again, same path both places, this was recorded using unc pathname, before i changed to Q drive mapping. The physical drive that all the mapped drives lead to is the V:\ drive in the server, which is where that V came from.
The files are on the server, and they can be played on the server, right?

Are those paths accessible on the client? O and V is where the client is looking for the files, to see if it can play them w/o streaming via the server. Those paths don't need to be available on the client, except for DVDs and a few other imported media formats. What is V on the client?

If those drives are mapped on the client, try removing the mapped letter on the client for the music & recording dirs. Or, double check that the user you are logging in as on the client PC has permission to access those network locations.

Quote:
Should sageclient.properties on the client machine reflect these positions? It still has the default myvideo, etc, etc in the mydocs folder, or does it ignore those?
The client does not need these properties; it gets all that info from the server.

Quote:
What are the ,1 and ,2's in the archive directory pathnames? It looks like the ,1 is the only one i can access, while the ,2's are ones I can not access. Coincidence?
They are configuration settings that are changed via the UI.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:45 AM
Sage Advanced User

woot, figured out what it was! Being a workgroups file permissions novice, i kept wondering if I was doing something wrong with them, especially when i changed the recordings directory from a local drive to a mapped network drive and the server lost access to it. The ONLY user with any file permissions was "everyone" with read access. I went in and added my user log in, the only one i use on the server, as an additional permissions setting and gave myself all permissions and all security settings. Rebooted machine, restarted sagetv server, restarted sagetv client and now i get live tv, recorded tv and music on my client, none of which i had gotten before now. I also got back my live tv on my server. So it looks like everything is accessible to both server and client now. It appears as if the file accessibility problem was not that my client could not see it, but that the server could not see it. I was not catching that little difference before. I bet this is the same thing that was stopping my the movietimes plug in from working...will save that for tomorrow tho!

Thanks for being my sounding board opus4! Only bad thing to come of this thread for me is that now everyone knows I have Who Let the Dogs Out on my harddrive...it is my wife's, i swear!!!

Only things left to do are audio/video decoders and such to tweak the picture and learn how to use powerstrip or something to make my screen fit on my tv. And of course burning 200+ dvds along with miscellaneous home videos and our cd collection...sigh. Will definitely have to pick up that second mvp now.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:13 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
If the client can access that path directly, it will try to play it w/o streaming via the server. If that path exists on the client, but the file isn't there, I think it won't be played.

- Andy
Hi,

I'm having the same problem. My music files are on an internal physical disk - E:. I recopied some old SageTV directories from my backup tree to the program disk - C:.

The MP3 playback works fine when booting from 6.1.3. But it's broken now. So somewhere between 6.1.3 and 6.1.9 this bug has been introduced into the MVP-image. The Placeshifter works fine in conjunction with 6.1.9 btw.

Hope you can find and fix it.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:30 AM
Sage User

Found a work around:

I've replaced the newer mvp.bin (march 19 2007) with an older one (feb 8 2007). Worked for me.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:57 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm having this problem too. It started happening right after I upgraded to 6.1.9 from 6.0.18. I'm guessing I'm having the same problem with the MVP.bin file. I don't have the old one. Is there any way you can post it or otherwise send it to me?