SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:58 PM
Sage Icon

DirecTVSerial DLL Control - Which Version

I'm wondering which one you all currently use. I have the latest version of Sage 6.1.19 with Java 1.6. Ever since I upgraded to 6.1.19 it seems that I'm again having trouble where Sage is not always tuning to the correct channel. I don't use IR; I tune through the com ports so I know it is not a coincidence. I use the DirecTVSerial control from May 2006, 65,536 bytes, 64K. When I tried the newer DirecTVSerial control in prior versions of Sage, after a few days it would just stop tuning the channel on any one of the tuners in the file server and I would have to restart SageControl.

Also, the older version would display a second or two of the prior station before tuning. Now, it seems the older version of DirecTVSerial did not tune the channel on my third tuner (when I was recording three shows at the same time tonight). Another problem with the latest version is that it seems that it takes forever in VideoSources to change channels on one of my tuners but it seems to work fine when changing the channel from the guide. I have two nVidia DualTV tuners. I can't even get the fourth tuner to work at all because it won't change the channel.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-08-2007, 04:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Mike,

What receivers do you have? I am running 3 D11-100 units using the 4/17/2007 dll. My 4th unit has been down a while due to an issue with the PatersonTech TVTuner. However, I think all three are tuning just fine. I am using fast tuning option 3 in the registry. If you are using USB to serial, which units are you using? I went with BAFO and they seem to be running great.

B

My Specs:

4 BAFO USB to Serial
4 (this week) TV Translators
4 D11-100 receivers
Java 1.6u1
Server 2k3 SP2
2 NVidia DualTV
Old 05-08-2007, 09:10 AM
Sage Icon

I still have 4 D10-100 STB's. I have 3 D11-100's in the garage from a DirecTV promotion a while back but I've never used them. I have a few questions:

1. How does one get the USB to com ports to work? Where can I get USB to Serial cables for that? Will the USB to Com work on on all D11s?

2. What is a TV Translator?

3. Also, do you know if the tv quality is the same on the D11s?

As a test, I tried the new DirecTVSerial.dll on the latest 6.1.19 and every time I try and watch Sage on my workstations it crashes within 5 seconds and I have to completely restart the workstation. But, the older DirecTVSerial works (at least on three out of the four tuners I have - 2 NVidia DualTV).

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by mike1961; 05-08-2007 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:36 PM
SageTVaholic

1) You would need an adapter. I chose the BAFO unit because it has the same chip as the PatersonTech TV Tuner. One less driver.

2) TV Translator allows tuning through the USB port on the D11. http://www.patersontech.com/Translator/FAQ.aspx

3) I noticed an improvement in quality going from PVR-500 to NVidia, but prior to D11s I had analog cable.

B
Old 05-08-2007, 09:11 PM
Sage Icon

Thanks for your feedback but I'm still confused about a few things:

1. What is BAFO? Is it an STB from another supplier.

2. Yes, I also noticed a huge improvement going from PVR500 to NVidia but I can't get my FM radio to work with the plug in like I could with PVR500.

3. What do you mean prior to D11 you had analog cable? If you are using NVidia like I am then I'm assuming you do not have HD (Hi Definition) since NVidia DualTV does not support it so SD is analog. Please clarify this.

Thanks again for the information.
Mike
Old 05-09-2007, 12:38 AM
Sage User

Do you have this set/added to your registry:

HKLM\Software\Frey Technologies\SageTV\DirecTVSerialFastChannelChanges=3
(use this with the current dll)

Also, there were problems with the original driver from Nvidia that caused problems with more than one tuner, so make sure you are running the latest drivers.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:15 AM
Sage Icon

Yes - I have the latest NVidia drivers. But, I do not see the entry
DirecTVSerialFastChannelChanges=3

Should that be on the server or the client or both? Do I need to add the entry and if so how do I add it as a string, binary, dword?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-09-2007, 04:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1961 View Post
Thanks for your feedback but I'm still confused about a few things:

1. What is BAFO? Is it an STB from another supplier.

2. Yes, I also noticed a huge improvement going from PVR500 to NVidia but I can't get my FM radio to work with the plug in like I could with PVR500.

3. What do you mean prior to D11 you had analog cable? If you are using NVidia like I am then I'm assuming you do not have HD (Hi Definition) since NVidia DualTV does not support it so SD is analog. Please clarify this.

Thanks again for the information.
Mike
1) BAFO makes the USB to serial converter. Not needed if you have serial ports in PC. BAFO BF-810 google it.

2) Would like to set up FM for one show on radio for the kids, but haven't tried yet.

3) I meant that I did not have DirecTV prior to getting the D11 units, so I have no comparison for you. I was using analog cable, through RG-6 feed into the PVR-500. I did not but the DualTV until after switching to DirecTV.

B
Old 05-09-2007, 04:52 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1961 View Post
Yes - I have the latest NVidia drivers. But, I do not see the entry
DirecTVSerialFastChannelChanges=3

Should that be on the server or the client or both? Do I need to add the entry and if so how do I add it as a string, binary, dword?

Thanks,
Mike
On the server.

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Frey Technologies\SageTV]

"DirecTVSerialFastChannelChanges"=dword:00000003