SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 05-01-2007, 05:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

Question MVP Questions...

Sorry for double posting, but my last thread kinda skewed in the wrong direction and is on a whole new topic now.

Again, i am looking at buying a MVP from Sage, but i need to know if:
1 - It will connect to a PAL Tv ( i live in Australia )
2 - Will it play both NTSC and PAL DVD's and Video files.

or does anyone know if there are PVR's that can be bought locally here in Sydney which are compatible with Sage ?

thank you.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

To add to my last message, i have just spoken to a Hauppauge distributor here is Australia, and he advised me that the MVP's cannot play Dolby Digital sound. Is this correct ?
The reason i ask, is because some ( if not all ) digital TV broadcast here uses Dolby Digtial sound..

Can anyone confirm ? If so, is there a way around it ?

thank you.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:45 AM
SageTVaholic

From what I know:

The MVP can be setup to be PAL or NTSC. I have an NTSC MVP and it will not play PAL. I would assume the opposite is true as well. So you should be OK playing PAL content on a PAL TV.

The new MVPs have a digital output connector that can be used to pass through Dolby 5.1. I do not do this but there are threads in the forum that explain how it's done.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:13 PM
Sage Fanatic

The MVP's in the UK (European model) are PAL. I have a friend in NZ who buys hers from Australia, I don't know the web site, but they are PAL. I got my last 2 from Amazon.

If you buy them in the states they are NTSC, so basically if you buy one in Aus (from an Australian distributor) it should be ok (PAL), but don't get one from Sage as they will be NTSC.

The later models definately have SPDIF connections. I have 2 of them with this, and one without. I found it to be pot luck which version you get when you order one.

Someone once put the link below on the forum. It explains SPDIF quite well, but there should be some forum entries on here that explain how to set it up within Sage, with the AC3filter setup etc. I've not used it myself so can't give you any actual info on doing it.

http://forums.creative.com/creativel...ssage.id=12170

As for your last question, I'm afraid I can't help on that one. I'm sure someone must have both types of DVD's and know the answer.

Last edited by doc; 05-02-2007 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:06 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvulture View Post
2 - Will it play both NTSC and PAL DVD's and Video files.
PAL MVP will have trouble playing back NTSC DVDs. Never had problems with other video files (but don't know if I've tried any...).
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients