SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:54 AM
Sage Advanced User

Question How does a MPV work query...

Hi all.
I am still in the trial version of my software, and i am so impressed with sage that i am looking at buying an extender direct from Sage.
Currently, i have a client running SageMC ( latest ). Does the MPV support SageMC ? How does it work as far as the UI is concerned ? I like the look of SageMC.
If not, i will purchase a client licence and stick with that.

thank you
Old 05-01-2007, 05:41 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvulture View Post
Hi all.
I am still in the trial version of my software, and i am so impressed with sage that i am looking at buying an extender direct from Sage.
Currently, i have a client running SageMC ( latest ). Does the MPV support SageMC ? How does it work as far as the UI is concerned ? I like the look of SageMC.
If not, i will purchase a client licence and stick with that.

thank you
One of the reasons I switched from BeyondTV to Sage was the official support for the MVP; any UI you can run for SageTV, you can run on the MVP (e.g, the stock UI, SageMC, any others). The MVP behaves just like a Placeshifter client; an added benefit is that the license for the MVP can also be used with Placeshifter (if you're interested in that).

Stu
Old 05-01-2007, 06:15 AM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to wvpolekat Send a message via MSN to wvpolekat
Ditto Stu's comments. The MVP interface looks and works just like the normal Sage interface. SageMC works perfectly on it.

Some complain about the responsiveness of the UI on the MVP, but I have not noticed a problem with that. It seems it may be related to your Java/Sage version on the server.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:26 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvpolekat View Post
Some complain about the responsiveness of the UI on the MVP, but I have not noticed a problem with that. It seems it may be related to your Java/Sage version on the server.
Sage 6.1.9 and Java 6_1 seem to have eliminated the UI response issues. Works near full speed for me now.

Special thanks to tmiranda for making my 24h time format dream a reality. See here for more details.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:05 AM
SageTVaholic

I agree with the above statements. With Java 1.6.01, I have noticed a huge increase in speed. It still isn't as quick as my full clients, but when you consider the cost, low power requirements, ease of upgrade (just upgrade the media center software and unplug mvp), and little to no babysitting (unlike my full clients at times), I can handle a little bit of sluggishness!
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 05-01-2007, 02:57 PM
SageTVaholic

FYI, most, if not all of the animation effects in SageMC can be disabled for use on the MVP if necessary (it is for me). One other issue that may crop up is that SageMC has navigation sound effects, which for some reason end up playing on the server in addition to the MVP when you are navigating. If you use the server as another client, then this gets annoying pretty quick (If your server is in a closet, then it doesn't matter). The simple solution is to just disable navigation sounds on the MVP in the SageMC Options screen.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 05-01-2007, 04:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

Cool.
Thanks for the great help guys. I think i will ditch my PC in the bedroom and get a MVP instead. No more annoying fans running.

Are the MVP's from Sage ok ? I live in Australia and i guess would need to make some changes due to the 240v system here.
Otherwise, does anyone know where i could get one locally ?

thanks again
Old 05-01-2007, 04:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInMaui View Post
FYI, most, if not all of the animation effects in SageMC can be disabled for use on the MVP if necessary (it is for me). One other issue that may crop up is that SageMC has navigation sound effects, which for some reason end up playing on the server in addition to the MVP when you are navigating. If you use the server as another client, then this gets annoying pretty quick (If your server is in a closet, then it doesn't matter). The simple solution is to just disable navigation sounds on the MVP in the SageMC Options screen.

Aloha,
Mike
Mike,

Are you saying that I can specifically disable animations for SageMC on the MVP, or I turn them off and it affects the server and the MVP? I guess I can try, and if you're ok with it, then it must be a substantial improvement in speed and/or is such a minor deal that its not a big deal without animation in the first place.

-Bryan
Old 05-01-2007, 04:34 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbig119 View Post
Mike,

Are you saying that I can specifically disable animations for SageMC on the MVP, or I turn them off and it affects the server and the MVP? I guess I can try, and if you're ok with it, then it must be a substantial improvement in speed and/or is such a minor deal that its not a big deal without animation in the first place.

-Bryan
The MVP has its own properties file, you can turn off the animations, sound etc on the MVP and it won't affect your servers SageMC settings.

p.s. I don't normally respond to someone else's name but why not once in while
Old 05-01-2007, 05:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiegerner View Post
The MVP has its own properties file, you can turn off the animations, sound etc on the MVP and it won't affect your servers SageMC settings.

p.s. I don't normally respond to someone else's name but why not once in while
Thanks for standing in. I was out to lunch (literally )