SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 04-17-2007, 08:08 PM
Sage Aficionado

Digital TV: A Cringley Crash Course, GO AWAY!

How do I get SageTV to stop "intelligently" recording Digital TV: A Cringley Crash Course from PBS digital every day? Sometimes it will record and keep 5 or 6 recordings of the show. I've tried marking them all as Watched, repeatedly marking them as Don't Like, but nothing works. Any ideas?
Old 04-17-2007, 08:40 PM
Administrator

You can try enabling this setting: Detailed Setup -> Customize -> Use aggressive negative profilgin for Intelligent Recordings.

What I sometimes do is select the show I don't want, choose to view the Past Airings, highlight the Future Airings entry in the resulting list, then use the Don't Like command to mark all future airings of that show as Don't Like. Some shows seem to take more hits before they stop recording because there must be something about them that ties into just about everything else you've watched.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have aggressive negative profiling enabled.

I searched for the show title, marked all all 26 previous airings as Don't Like and Watched. I also set all the available future airings (until May) as Watched and Don't Like.

Viewing my SageTV recording schedule informs me that Sage still plans to record all those future airings of the show (even with the little Watched and Don't Like icons)
Old 04-17-2007, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Don't set them as Watched... that says you watched it, and if you watched it, you must have liked something about it. Remove the Watched tags.

Finally, it takes a while to update the schedule; it won't update immediately.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

Hmm.. I dunno... I think deep down inside, you really want to watch that show daily... several times

/sorry - couldn't resist
Server: AMD Phenom Quad-Core 2.3Ghz, 4GB RAM, ECS A780GM-A MB, 2x HD-PVRs (connected to DirecTV HD STBs using ethernet channel changing), 1x AverMedia A180, OS RAID-1 mirror - 2x250GB 7200rpm SATA, Media RAID-1 mirror - 2x1TB 7200rpm SATA, USB-UIRT (remote control)
Main Client: Sage STX-HD100 Media extender
Second Client: Athlon XP 4000+, 2GB MB PC3200 DDR, Asus A8N5X MB, 512MB PCI-E ATI HD Radeon 3650, 160 GB SATA - hardware mirrored
Old 04-17-2007, 09:44 PM
Sage Icon

The Intelligent recording feature lacks, umh, intelligence. To be fair, it finds all sorts of stuff - that's why I have it enabled, but it sucks when it comes to avoiding recordings. My NSHO (not so humble opinion).
Old 04-18-2007, 04:58 AM
Sage Aficionado

I agree. You can use nielm's Intelligent Suggestions module to help "train" or preview what will be recorded.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:48 AM
Sage Icon

Or install the webserver plugin by nielm also, you can train it there also.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:51 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavius View Post
The Intelligent recording feature lacks, umh, intelligence. To be fair, it finds all sorts of stuff - that's why I have it enabled, but it sucks when it comes to avoiding recordings. My NSHO (not so humble opinion).
I have to disagree. If you A) NEVER, EVER, watch live TV, or if so make danged sure you only watch something you LIKE live B) keep the video on menus OFF, and C) follow those basic instructions that Opus4 posted, then it works fairly well.

I've had it turned on for a couple years now with a 14 day lookahead and rarely have to train it any more. About the only time I have to do a small retrain is when some new show comes on that it thinks I might like, that I don't want to record.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:38 PM
Sage Icon

Well, if A) and B) and C) and your not allowed to marry or live with your partner

Sage IR is for single nerds only?
Old 04-18-2007, 10:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

Intelligent Recording does seem to work well for the most part. Sometimes it'll do dumb things like record Spanish movies, despite me never watching them and flagging every single one as "Don't Like."

I would like an "anti-favorite" function; for example, when I mark a show as "Don't Like", I'd like to be able to elaborate:

Never record shows matching this title
Never record this category
Never record shows matching the following keywords

Also, Intelligent Recording gets confused when a show is available on an HD and SD station at the same time. Sage will routinely record both channels and waste my disk space. I know the shows have different ID's, but the fact that the shows have exactly the same title and air at exactly the same time on 2 different channels should tell Sage that I only want 1 recording.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:05 AM
SageTVaholic

An anti-favorite, like the Anti-Favorites customisation by flachbar
Old 04-19-2007, 02:08 AM
Sage Expert

For the most part, IR does well for me. At times, I wish there were ways to tell it that "I really like this show" vs "I kind of like this show" or "find more shows like this" vs "this is OK but I don't need more of the same".

Stu
Old 04-22-2007, 09:28 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavius View Post
Well, if A) and B) and C) and your not allowed to marry or live with your partner

Sage IR is for single nerds only?
I am one of those "single nerds", so I guess I just can't see why people can't learn to use the remote control.

Sage is for recording shows and watching those recordings. The TV (i.e. using straight cable, or cable box but NOT going through SageTV) is for watching live TV, and the watching of live TV should ONLY be done in rare circumstances. I can't really think of any "circumstances" however. The only time I watch anything "semi-live" is a sporting event and even then I record it and watch it delayed so that I don't have to watch any commercials. I try to time it so that when the game/event ends I'm just about up to "live".

However, I also feel that if it's something worth watching live then Sage should know about it because it's something I want to watch anyway and I need it recorded so that I can watch it when I want.
I mean, if it's not something you'd want Sage to record, what the heck are you doing watching it, live or otherwise, anyway?
Old 04-22-2007, 08:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

Guess what happens to "Intelligent Recordings" when you fall asleep while watching live TV!
Old 04-22-2007, 10:50 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patilan View Post
Guess what happens to "Intelligent Recordings" when you fall asleep while watching live TV!
Thats why you need to run flachbar's "auto-sleep" plugin. It works in SageMC and will auto-sleep a SageClient or MVP, if there is no remote usage in a set period of time. Works perfectly for auto-sleeping the client in the evening after I've gone to sleep.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:54 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynedunham View Post
I am one of those "single nerds", so I guess I just can't see why people can't learn to use the remote control.

Sage is for recording shows and watching those recordings. The TV (i.e. using straight cable, or cable box but NOT going through SageTV) is for watching live TV, and the watching of live TV should ONLY be done in rare circumstances. I can't really think of any "circumstances" however. The only time I watch anything "semi-live" is a sporting event and even then I record it and watch it delayed so that I don't have to watch any commercials. I try to time it so that when the game/event ends I'm just about up to "live".

However, I also feel that if it's something worth watching live then Sage should know about it because it's something I want to watch anyway and I need it recorded so that I can watch it when I want.
I mean, if it's not something you'd want Sage to record, what the heck are you doing watching it, live or otherwise, anyway?
I'm married, but I've always used IR until recently when I lost my largest drive. I didn't have to space, I felt, to support it and my remaining archived shows. However, now with 1.2T of storage, it's going back on.

I've got about 3 years of IR training and it has picked up some good stuff. When I mark a batch of shows as "Don't like", it ususually doesn't record the show.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to teknubic Send a message via AIM to teknubic Send a message via MSN to teknubic Send a message via Yahoo to teknubic
This is the very reason I have disabled intelligent recording. I wrestled with SageTV and its tenacity to record Crash Course for a week before turning IR off.
I think the best fix for this is to call or write PBS and tell them that they need to make them all the same showID. Marking it as watched will keep it from recording any more.