SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-13-2007, 04:20 PM
Sage Advanced User

FSE and external screen saver?

I just recently implemented some of the suggested changes for getting stutter-free HD playback. Happily, it seems to be working.

Unfortunately, using FSE makes my setup a bit more cumbersome and to top it off, I think it prevents my screensaver from launching while Sage is maximized(I have an aquarium screen saver).

I know that while using overlay I had set a property that launched the aquarium screen saver from within sage, but that isn't happening now in FSE. It makes sense to me, but I thought I'd ask anyhow to see if there is a way to get it working again.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:03 AM
Sage Expert

I've just approached this problem from the opposite angle - I couldn't get the screensaver (dream aquarium) to start - it would keep crashing. I played around and turned off FSE and it works OK now. I'm still trying to establish what effects of not having FSE turned are.

However, I also noticed during my experiments that even with FSE on, if you disable service mode the screensaver works OK

Tim
Stephane's XMLTV Importer, Digiguide,
Old 04-03-2007, 06:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewston View Post
However, I also noticed during my experiments that even with FSE on, if you disable service mode the screensaver works OK
That shouldn't be. I think you were probably just switching back and forth and it wasn't really in FSE when you tried to run the screensaver.

I use FSE, great HD playback with VMR9 and the nvidia decoder, It would be nice to not have to use it, but I can't see giving it up. There was a time I thought about it when I was using the winamp plugin to get milkdrop to run full screen, but decided not to.

Unless it is integrated into Sage, any external program is going to hose stuff up.

flips
Old 04-03-2007, 06:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

FWIW, in my experience, once Sage comes out of FSE (for instance, by twiddling the setting that tells sage to release FSE when it loses focus or by minimizing Sage), it doesn't go back into FSE. I'm running version 6.0.whatever, not 6.1.whatever.

- Jeff
Old 04-04-2007, 01:50 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flips View Post
That shouldn't be. I think you were probably just switching back and forth and it wasn't really in FSE when you tried to run the screensaver.

flips
Ah, thinking about it - that makes sense as I would have been flipping between Sage.Properties and SageClient.Properties where FSE might have been turned on in the former

Tim
Stephane's XMLTV Importer, Digiguide,
Old 04-22-2007, 04:17 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbig119 View Post
I know that while using overlay I had set a property that launched the aquarium screen saver from within sage...
Hey bbig119,

What property is this ? How did you do it ?

Thanks,
Tomer.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:33 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivilya View Post
Hey bbig119,

What property is this ? How did you do it ?

Thanks,
Tomer.
I'll double check this when I get home, but I think somewhere in the settings menu you can set sage to load an external screen saver.

FWIW, I've since reverted back to using overlay for the sake of ease. I toggle between a 19inch widescreen and a HDTV witha remote. This became more difficult with FSE enabled. On top of the screen saver problem. I can get stutter-free playback of HD material in overlay and notice little difference in PQ compared to VMR9. I do notice more pixelation with SD programs when in overlay verus VMR9, especially where there is fast movement.