SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:26 PM
Administrator

Exclamation Forum has been upgraded (was: Scheduled Forum Maintenance tonight)

This is a little short notice, but the forum will be closing for maintence sometime after 12 AM Eastern time tonight (9 PM Pacific, or 5:00 GMT & you adjust from there), and will remain closed for an hour or two.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:49 AM
Administrator

OK... maintenance is done & the forum has been upgraded.

Let me know if there are any problems using the forum.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:27 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
OK... maintenance is done & the forum has been upgraded.

Let me know if there are any problems using the forum.

- Andy
Any new features worth mentioning ?

Edit: I found at least one: marking a forum as 'read' does not kick you back to the forum index any more.

Dirk

Last edited by dflachbart; 03-09-2007 at 05:31 AM.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flachbar View Post
Any new features worth mentioning ?
I'll try to come up with a list... a few things are:
  • Click on the Multi-Quote button to quote multiple posts in a single reply. You can use multi-quote with posts from different threads, as long as all the selections are done in the same browser window.
  • The email notification for new PMs includes the PM contents. (Just don't try replying to the email notification.)
  • There is a flashing icon when you have unread PMs. Hopefully, receiving a new PM is more noticeable now.
  • You can choose to show results as threads or posts when doing a quick search from the navigation bar's pull-down search item.
  • Quotes contain a link back to the quoted post.
  • Support to set signature limits so we don't have any more 20-line sigs.
  • New forum announcements are listed when viewing the list of New Posts.
  • Use more accurate markers for what you have read -- enabled marking what was actually read w/o clearing all read markers after a period of inactivity.

There are probably others, so I'll add to the list when they are found.

- Andy
Old 03-09-2007, 11:49 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I'll try to come up with a list... a few things are:
  • Click on the Multi-Quote button to quote multiple posts in a single reply.
  • The email notification for new PMs includes the PM contents.

Now this is sweet...

Dirk
Old 03-09-2007, 06:18 PM
Administrator

The above list has been updated, again.

We're trying a new setting... instead of marking the entire forum as read after you log out or after a period of inactivity, the forum now tracks what you have actually read and should be able to show older unread content the next time you return to the forum.

The downside to changing this setting is that it looks like it shows that you haven't read anything lately, because the feature wasn't in use for all those old posts. After catching up on the latest posts, you can choose "Mark Forums Read" from the Quick Links pull down menu on the navigation bar at the top of every page. It should work normally after that.

This is a bit experimental -- if it doesn't end up using too much cpu time on the forum server, we'll keep it turned on.

- Andy
Old 03-09-2007, 06:36 PM
Sage Icon

caught me off guard. thought something was messed up on my end.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
The above list has been updated, again.

We're trying a new setting... instead of marking the entire forum as read after you log out or after a period of inactivity, the forum now tracks what you have actually read and should be able to show older unread content the next time you return to the forum.

The downside to changing this setting is that it looks like it shows that you haven't read anything lately, because the feature wasn't in use for all those old posts. After catching up on the latest posts, you can choose "Mark Forums Read" from the Quick Links pull down menu on the navigation bar at the top of every page. It should work normally after that.

This is a bit experimental -- if it doesn't end up using too much cpu time on the forum server, we'll keep it turned on.

- Andy
It gets better and better...
Hope you are able to leave this feature on, this is so much better than before

Edit: did you also update the server hardware ? I dunno, but everything also feels a little faster than usual

Dirk

Last edited by dflachbart; 03-09-2007 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:51 AM
Sage Expert

Forum has been upgraded (was: Scheduled Forum Maintenance tonight)

Is anyone else having an issue where this forum is not showing you correctly which posts are new since your last visit?

It shows me logged in, and I can post, but unless a thread is really old, it shows as being new.

* merged *
Old 03-11-2007, 11:19 AM
SageTVaholic

As menitoned above,
you need to do: QuickLinks/Mark Forums Read to mark unread posts as not-new

Personally I prefer this method, rather than use the 'last visit' time as an indicator, but it should really be a per-user option
Old 03-11-2007, 12:28 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielm View Post
As menitoned above,

Personally I prefer this method, rather than use the 'last visit' time as an indicator, but it should really be a per-user option

Oh, I hate forums that use this new system. Seems like a step back about 10 years to me.

How do you mark the forum as read? I'm not seeing anything that does that.

Last edited by Goodspike; 03-11-2007 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Use the Forum Tools or Quick Links dropdown at the top of the forum, depending on whether you want to mark just that forum or all forums.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flachbar View Post
Edit: did you also update the server hardware ? I dunno, but everything also feels a little faster than usual
I don't know what happened, but it does seem to run more stably lately. Well... at least until I said that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielm View Post

It is a forum-wide setting, so it doesn't have the ability to be a user option.

I like it because it is easier to check stuff on the forum w/o having to catch up on ALL new posts before leaving the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
How do you mark the forum as read? I'm not seeing anything that does that.
This was already answered, but once I have time (i.e.: the weekend is over), I plan on trying out adding another navbar above the whole section at the top & have it include such options as: Mark Forum as Read, Today's Posts, My Posts, My Threads... and maybe some other items. That way, those options are more easily found.

- Andy
Old 03-11-2007, 08:59 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
This was already answered, but once I have time (i.e.: the weekend is over), I plan on trying out adding another navbar above the whole section at the top & have it include such options as: Mark Forum as Read, Today's Posts, My Posts, My Threads... and maybe some other items. That way, those options are more easily found.

- Andy
Great, because the existing system is rather inconvenient.

Too bad this can't be a User CP setting because I greatly prefer the old automatic system.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:15 PM
Administrator

Another experimental change:

There is a 2nd navigation bar at the top of each page with these options when you are logged in:
  • Home - Go to the forum index
  • Mark Forums Read - Marks everything as read
  • My Topics - Lists the threads you have started
  • My Posts - Lists your posts
  • Subscribed Threads - Lists your subscribed threads
  • Today's Posts - Lists today's posts
  • My Profile - Displays your profile
- Andy
Old 03-13-2007, 04:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Another suggestion... As there is a bit more space, can the SageTV FAQ be put on the Nav Bar?

This forums' sage FAQ should also be merged with the FAQ on the Sage website as well...
Old 03-13-2007, 09:13 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Another experimental change:

There is a 2nd navigation bar at the top of each page with these options when you are logged in:
  • Home - Go to the forum index
  • Mark Forums Read - Marks everything as read
  • My Topics - Lists the threads you have started
  • My Posts - Lists your posts
  • Subscribed Threads - Lists your subscribed threads
  • Today's Posts - Lists today's posts
  • My Profile - Displays your profile
- Andy
If the Mark Forums Read could be changed to Mark Forum Read, that would be better (although still not as good as the old system).

I can't imagine why someone would ever want to mark all the forums as read at one time. It's not like you can track them individually.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:48 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I can't imagine why someone would ever want to mark all the forums as read at one time. It's not like you can track them individually.
I use it every day My method of reading the forums: Middle-click on each updated forum to open it in a new tab. Wait for all the tabs to be done loading and then "Mark All Forums as Read". Close that tab. Now go through each of the forum-specific tabs. Middle click on any interesting looking discussion to open it in a new tab. Close each forum specific tab once I get to the bottom of the list of new/updated threads. Now I have a tab open for every thread I could possibly want to read. I read it and close the tab after reading or replying. What can I say? I'm thorough.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:33 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
If the Mark Forums Read could be changed to Mark Forum Read, that would be better.
When viewing a forum, in the Forum tools menu, there is 'Mark Forum Read' which only marks the threads in this forum read.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:02 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I can't imagine why someone would ever want to mark all the forums as read at one time.
I just look at "New Posts", go through and read things of interest, which shows new stuff from all forums. Then do the same again to see if there's anything new. If nothing new, I mark all forums read, then next time New Posts shows me the stuff since.
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients