SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 03-02-2007, 02:12 PM
Sage Icon

Webex on how to setup a Home Automation System

For those of you who don't know, i've currently got a home automation system setup. I use CQC as the master controller, SageTV as the TV DVR, TheaterTek for DVD playback, ZoomPlayer for CDs, and an Elk automation panel for security/HA control. I also have hardwired control over probably a dozen pieces of hardware by now. I use an integrated set of screens for it all, check out the site in my sig for details.

I'm hosting a "How I setup a Home Automation System using Elk & CQC" tomorrow at 8:30am PST/11:30am EST and have room for probably 5 or so more folks. If you're seriously interested in learning more about this and doing it in your own house, please post back here, feel free to attend. I'll host a webinar later where up to 1000 people can attend, that'll work for the casual interest type folks.

It takes about 90mins, try and show up on time as I'll cover the foundation first. Not a huge issue if you can't, but you might be a little lost for a bit. Note that although i'm certainly willing to take questions during the meeting, this webex will be slightly different from the norm in that we won't be spending excessive time on any one area or addressing any one persons questions. The goal of this meeting is to provide you an overview about how I accomplished total world domination, or at least complete home control, using CQC and the Elk automation panel.

There's both an online link and a callin phone #. You need to do both as I verbally explain much of it.

https://www.gotomeeting.com/join/541475662
Conference Call: Dial (641) 985-1010, access code 541-475-662
Meeting ID: 541-475-662

Requested but not mandatory prep
1) Read chapter 1 of this doc - i'll be referencing that during the intro.
2) As many of the tutorial videos as you can stand. There's 24 of them now, ideally watch all 4 of the installation ones and the first 2 of the action, event, and graphical interface sections. That's 10 total.

Agenda
"Intro"
This portion will familiarize you with how I did HA, what bits of which programs I used where to accomplish my goals.
- My personal reasons for HA, my architecture (5mins)
- Overall system components overview (15mins)
- CQC High-Level Overview & when to use each program(10 mins)

"Applied Theory" (60mins)
(this portion will help you understand what to do after you finish installing it on your PC, and how to make it do what you want to do. I'll cover the major aspects, as each person is likely to have different goals)
- CQC Admin Interface (how to tell CQC what hardware and software you have)
- CQC Interface Building (how to create an interface to display and control your hw/sw)
- CQC Event Engine (scheduled events like HVAC, triggered events like IR receipt)
- CQC Media Repository Engine (aka CDs and DVDs)

"Theory of Elk" (10mins)
- Setting up an Elk/ElkRP overview
- Setting up Automation rules inside the Elk

"Elk/CQC Integration" (20 mins)
- Getting the Elk and CQC to work together to accomplish something based on a physical occurence (ie, turn off all the A/V & HVAC & ... if the security system is armed. Turn on a light if there's motion/closet door is opened)
Old 03-06-2007, 06:52 AM
Sage Icon

Just wanted to say i've been following your progress on integrating sage into your home automation and think the things you are doing are great (but very complicated for me!) I was wondering what you are using for remote controls? Looks like in one pic its a PDA or some sorts or is that just for the webrowser?
Thanks,
Juc
Server: Athlon 2000XP; 1GB Kingston Ram; 250GB Seagate; 160GB Seagate; 160GB Western Digital; Lite-on DVD player; Hauppauge Rosyln; Hauppauge PVR-150; ATI AIW 7500; Actisys 200L; running stock v5 .stv

Client: MVP Extender running SageMC
Old 03-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Sage Icon

it's actually pretty simple, esp now that several of us host these webexes and teach others how to do what we did.

I have a PDA cellphone that I use with the CQC Viewer (not webbrowser). It's primarily out-of-the-house, so I can control the house via the Cingular network. I basically only end up doing stuff like turning lights off (cuz I forgot until I pulled out of the driveway), turning HVAC on en-route home, or checking the security cameras. Very occasionally the grandparents are willing to babysit at our house, so i'll turn on a DVD/etc for them as even a basic remote control is baffling to them.

For in-house control, I use either a Fujitsu 3400 (1 wallmounted, 1 wifi), an MX850 whole-house remote control, or a bluetooth mouse directly on the plasma. I generally dislike LCD remotes, and prefer tactile ones, so the MX850 and mouse are generally what I use in the H/T room.

I just got a MediaMVP for the MBR given it's cheap as heck, but the obvious downer is the lack of HA capabilities in the UI. It's a lot simpler than booting up the 3400 in the MBR, so I'm a little torn about what to do there.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:42 PM
Sage Icon

Gotten a few requests for another one at a different timeslot. Scheduling one for Friday 3/23 @6:30pm PST/9:30pm EST/1:30pm Australia time. You should allocate 2 hours, but we'll try and get through most of it in 1.5.

If you're planning on attending, please reply here as I need to decide between which of two gotomeeting accounts to use (one can handle up to 25 people, one can handle more but it's a little more of a PITA to use for me).
Old 03-14-2007, 10:08 PM
Sage Icon

Just created a pre-registration form at https://www.gotomeeting.com/register/924713835

If you fill it out now, you'll get the login details ahead of time. I'll also update this thread with that on Friday, 3/23 in the am. I'll have to manually tell folks what the teamspeak (computer headset details) are later.

Last edited by IVB; 03-15-2007 at 12:52 AM.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:42 AM
Sage Icon

I am interested in participating despite the odd hour of my time zone. I am in GMT+2
Old 03-15-2007, 12:54 AM
Sage Icon

Glad to hear. I made a mistake in the link initially, but just fixed it. The correct link is there now.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:50 PM
Sage Icon

well, we've now got 32 people pre-registered, 8 current CQC'ers, 24 future CQC'ers! Thanks for doing that, helps me understand the audience.

If there's anyone else that wants to join, you're more than welcome - we've got room for another 60 folks. If there's anyone else that wants to join, you're more than welcome - we've got room for another 60 folks. I'm not sure if I can put the link directly into here for technical reasons I won't go into, but if you click the registration form and signup, you'll get an email with a personal link. Here's the info for the voice bit:

For the Audio Portion, either:
a) Dial this phone #: (605) 772-3322, access code 170-192-661

or
b) connect to our TeamSpeak server:
steps:
1) Download the windows client from here: http://www.goteamspeak.com/index.php...ownloads&id=1a

2) After installing it, setup as follow:
Connection - Connect
Right Click - Add Server - Give it a Name ie CQC TS

Server Address: dsw.ca
Nickname: (pick a nickname for you, either realname or forum handle)
Login Name: {Leave Blank}
User Password: {Leave Blank}
Default Channel: CQC
Channel Password: 1234

NOTE: I'm currently having issues getting either of my mics to work, seems my windows mic driver on two DIFFERENT machines has suddenly stopped working. Working feverishly to fix it by 6:30pm, though, i should be able to figure something out.

Last edited by IVB; 03-23-2007 at 05:34 PM.