SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 04-21-2007, 06:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
robocopy
Thanks for the heads up, there is a gui for this too which makes it very easy to use.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:34 AM
SageTVaholic

Firewire drivers on Windows 2003 Server

I've got my WHS server now running smoothly for a few days, and am thinking about moving SageTV server over to this machine too. As I read earlier in the thread the Hauppauge XP drivers should work, but I would also need the Timmmore firewire drivers for channel changing on my STBs.

Does anyone know if they will work on Windows Server 2003 ?

Thanks,
Dirk
Old 05-02-2007, 06:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Ok, FYI: took the plunge and did a test installation om my WHS server: firewire card and drivers, PVR-150 with latest Hauppauge drivers, SageTV service - everything runs fine ! Can't wait to rebuild the machine this weekend...

Dirk
Old 05-03-2007, 03:27 AM
Sage Icon

Thanks for the report!

P
Old 05-10-2007, 12:27 PM
Sage Icon

Just set up a WHS server...pretty cool. Shared folders import into Sage fine. I ran CAT5e and streaming is perfect. I've got Hamachi on it and can remote in without opening any ports on the router.

P

Last edited by Polypro; 05-13-2007 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:40 AM
SageTVaholic

FYI (full link here) :

Bill Gates Announces New Windows Home Server Hardware and Software Partners at WinHEC 2007

Windows Home Server Software Solutions for the Digital Home

As a software platform and an “always on” device in the home, Windows Home Server offers independent software vendors tremendous opportunities to build innovative products for the digital home, such as protection against viruses and malware, media sharing capabilities, home security, and home automation. Microsoft today announced several software vendors supporting Windows Home Server with their applications:

Diskeeper Corp.’s Diskeeper 2007 software will support Windows Home Server to enhance system speed and reliability.
Embedded Automation Inc.’s mControl software will integrate with Windows Home Server to help consumers manage home lighting systems, security cameras, climate control, and audio and visual components.
F-Secure Corp. software will interoperate with Windows Home Server to help protect consumers against computer viruses and other threats from the Internet and mobile networks.
Iron Mountain will integrate its data protection services with Windows Home Server.
Lagotek Corp.’s Home Intelligence Platform for home automation will support Windows Home Server.
PacketVideo Corp.’s PacketVideo Connect will enable DLNA 1.0-certified, DLNA 1.5-compliant and universal plug-and-play media streaming from Windows Home Server to a variety of entertainment devices in the home.
Riptopia CD loading service for Windows Home Server will convert and load a customer’s entire CD collection for storage and protection on Windows Home Server.
SageTV media server software for Windows Home Server provides a complete, “always on” digital entertainment experience for the enjoyment of personal media and online content on any TV or PC screen, at home or away, with SageTV Placeshifter software.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:28 PM
Sage Fanatic

Hi,

Anyone have any real info as to whether WHS will be available in a software only oe version?

Thanks

Jesse
HD300 X1
Old 05-15-2007, 12:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Hi,

Anyone have any real info as to whether WHS will be available in a software only oe version?

Thanks

Jesse
Yes (same link):

Windows Home Server for System Builders

Microsoft also announced that Windows Home Server will be available to the system builder channel, further broadening the scope of the home server product category. Using this version of the software, system builders worldwide will have the resources and flexibility to provide customized, targeted Windows Home Server products to meet the needs of a wide array of customer segments.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:46 PM
Sage Fanatic

Hi,

After re-reading I caught that. I just hope that it means we can get the oe version from someplace like newegg.

I got the beta invite but have had some reservations about A) risking the stability of my sage system on a beta, and B) not being able to get a software only version if I really like the product.

Everything is working so smoothly now I hate to tempt fate.....

Thanks for the info.

Jesse
HD300 X1
Old 05-15-2007, 10:43 PM
Sage Expert

I've been on the beta for a bit and I think it's funny that NO ONE on the WHS team seems to not want to put MCE stuff on the server side, but then MS announces this. I'm glad that Sage is on board and that there are Home Automation companies jumping in. I just find it funny thas MS won't do it.

This could be good
Old 05-16-2007, 11:04 AM
Sage Advanced User

I've also been on the beta for some time (2 months) and things are working great! It's connected to a projector and one MVP.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:46 PM
SageTVaholic

BTW - Maybe this means we'll get official support for plain 2K3 as well.

B
Old 05-21-2007, 06:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

No one has actually asked this question, which in my books is the most important..

What kind of data redundancy does WHS offer ? and how does it work ?

thanks
Old 05-21-2007, 07:04 PM
Sage Fanatic

As far as data redundancy, WHS only offers mirroring which isn't very efficient with hard disk space. It's strong suit is it's backup services, server architecture, remote desktop functionality, and the fact that Sage will work on it.

I wanted redundancy on my DVD rips and music, which is why I swear by my unRaid server. VERY efficient storage with a parity drive for redundancy/protection and a 'non-striped' raid array for quiet, cool storage.

I'm retooling my Sage server to use WHS only for the TV recording aspects - TV archiving, and all other media storage is on unRaid - played back through the Sage interface, however.

-PGPfan
Sage Server: Gigabyte 690AMD m-ATX, Athlon II X4 620 Propus, 3.0 GB ram, (1) VistaView dual analog PCI-e tuner, (2) Avermedia Purity 3D MCE 250's, (1) HD-Homerun, 1.5 TB of hard drives in a Windows Home Server drive pool, Western Digital 300GB 'scratch' disk outside the pool, Gigabit LAN
Sage Clients: MSI DIVA m-ATX, 5.1 channel 100w/channel amplifier card, 2 GB ram, , (1) Hauppauge MVP, (1) SageTV HD-100 Media Storage: unRAID 3.6TB server
Old 05-21-2007, 07:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGPfan View Post
As far as data redundancy, WHS only offers mirroring which isn't very efficient with hard disk space. It's strong suit is it's backup services, server architecture, remote desktop functionality, and the fact that Sage will work on it.

I wanted redundancy on my DVD rips and music, which is why I swear by my unRaid server. VERY efficient storage with a parity drive for redundancy/protection and a 'non-striped' raid array for quiet, cool storage.

I'm retooling my Sage server to use WHS only for the TV recording aspects - TV archiving, and all other media storage is on unRaid - played back through the Sage interface, however.

-PGPfan

Right i see... i read somewhere that the built-in redundancy is only good enough to recover if no more than one drives fails. Is this correct ?

Is it the standard mirroring type raid ? so if i have 6x 500gig HDD's i would in effect only have 3 available for storage ?

Also, off the topic, is it possible to put WHS into standby S3 ?

thanks
Old 05-21-2007, 08:21 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvulture View Post
Right i see... i read somewhere that the built-in redundancy is only good enough to recover if no more than one drives fails. Is this correct ?
I'm not entirely sure how it behaves regarding recovery (never had to test it yet, but I believe essentially you are correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvulture
Is it the standard mirroring type raid ? so if i have 6x 500gig HDD's i would in effect only have 3 available for storage ?
Not really, it allows you to select which files/programs/directories you want to 'mirror' and it will store a copy on another seperate hard drive thereby lessening the chances of unrecoverable failure. I'm sure you could mirror the entire drive, but that is exponentially more wasteful of space than the selective mirroring they've implemented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvulture
Also, off the topic, is it possible to put WHS into standby S3 ?
Not sure on that, I'll have to try it out.

-PGPfan
Sage Server: Gigabyte 690AMD m-ATX, Athlon II X4 620 Propus, 3.0 GB ram, (1) VistaView dual analog PCI-e tuner, (2) Avermedia Purity 3D MCE 250's, (1) HD-Homerun, 1.5 TB of hard drives in a Windows Home Server drive pool, Western Digital 300GB 'scratch' disk outside the pool, Gigabit LAN
Sage Clients: MSI DIVA m-ATX, 5.1 channel 100w/channel amplifier card, 2 GB ram, , (1) Hauppauge MVP, (1) SageTV HD-100 Media Storage: unRAID 3.6TB server
Old 05-21-2007, 08:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGPfan View Post

Not sure on that, I'll have to try it out.

-PGPfan

Thanks for the help. Can you get back to me on the S3 issue ?

thanks again
Old 05-22-2007, 10:15 AM
Sage Advanced User

Please rememeber that RAID5 does not backup data. It only provides improvided data integrity and uptime at a more reasonable cost and mirrored drives. A blown power supply or a failed raid controller means you could easily lose everything.

The only way to really backup data IMO is to make an EXACT copy on a seperate media stored at a seperate location done at some reasonable frequency.

Windows home server takes care of 2 of the 3 above natively. The only thing it doesn't do keep the data at a seperate location. If you keep your critical data local to a PC and then keep a backup on WHS, the only thing that could cause a total loss of data would be a natural disaster or fire.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:10 PM
Sage Fanatic

Not sure where 'RAID5' came from as neither WHS or unRaid use it due to its many deficiancies for use in the home environment. Many people view it as the holy grail of media storage and it is completely overkill in anything but an enterprise environment.

Both WHS and unRaid offer far more flexibility in hardware utilization than any RAID5 setup, and can (at least unRaid) offer similar/better data protection. Obviously its not as safe as having a hard copy of all your data stored in a remote fireproof bunker in a 24/7 guarded, climate controlled facility but we're only talking about media here, not national security stuff.

-PGPfan
Old 07-04-2007, 11:41 AM
Sage User

Does anyone know if SageTV on Windows Home Server works with the R5000-HD?