SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:10 AM
Sage User

Exclamation I'm Confused?#*

I have a pvr-350 and was just about to buy SageTV because on the Features section it says "User Interface and OSD support for the TV-out of the PVR-350" which I thought was great, but seeing posts in here saying that it isn't supported, I'm confused.

If that statement is incorrect they (SageTV) should remove it as it is VERY misleading.

Paul
Old 02-28-2007, 10:33 AM
Sage Icon

It is supported, but many have had stability issues related to the 350's decoding. I would get the trial and give it a shot to see if things work for you.

FWIW, I originally used the 350's output, but switched to simply using NVidia decoders because I found the experience to actually be better. The 350 decoding is nice if you have a very old machine, but the 3d accelleration of the standard screen output is pretty nice too if your hardware can support it.

Oh yeah, if you're using an HDTV, don't even bother with the 350's output, you'll get better results with a good software decoder.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:17 PM
Sage Fanatic

or alternatively use your 350 to capture and get an MVP to output.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:27 AM
Sage Aficionado

I much preferred the NVIDIA purevideo decoders paired up with an NVIDIA video card. Its mixture of pure & hardware decoding makes a fantastic display.

My card is only "partially" supported by purevideo (FX 5200) and even then i still only get about 15-20% CPU use.

If you get one slightly newer then mine it has pure hardware decoding on the video card itself.

Special thanks to tmiranda for making my 24h time format dream a reality. See here for more details.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:04 AM
Sage User

Well I downloaded a trial copy of SageTV last night and it works fine with my set-up and pvr-350.
I get OSD etc and a great picture, so I guess I am lucky.
I really just wanted to get SageTV not for the recording capabilities etc but just so I could have a playlist (video) functionality with the pvr-350.
The WinTV2000 app doesn't support playlists (just single .mpg) so this is an around about way of getting a playlist of videos to the TV....
I did try a small program called WinTVOut as it bypasses the app (WinTV2000) and just sends a file directly to the TV-out on the pvr-350 but it doesn't support playlists either, oh well SageTV will be an expensive solution to a minor problem.

thanks for all your comments.

Paul
Old 03-01-2007, 04:05 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidgetyRat
If you get one slightly newer then mine it has pure hardware decoding on the video card itself.
Newer nvidia cards are still hardware assisted decoding aren't they? I've never heard of a video card with full hardware decoding.