SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-04-2007, 01:41 PM
Sage User

Very quiet HD playback

When I use sage to watch HD content the volume on the HD content is extreamly low. So low that I have to crank my tuner so high, that when I switch to an SD channel it seems that it will blow out the speakers. Is there anyway to boost my audio playback volume for HD only.

Or is this just normal..

Sage 6.019
Audio Renderer = DirectSound SBAudigy ZS
MPEG Audio Decoder = PowerDVD
Denon 2802 @ -30db with SD content -5db for HD content

My sage volume is cranked, and the windows volume matches..

Thanks
Mike
Old 02-04-2007, 02:21 PM
Sage Icon

HD programming usually uses AC3 audio and AC3 is lower than your normal audio. You need to increase the gain on the audio to closer match your SD audio.

Install the latest version of AC3filter at www.ac3filter.net . Nyle posted a good setup in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyle
Just to try and clarrify for anyone else that's new to using sage or external decoders. I'll try and do a quick summary of what they are saying here.

1.) Download the latest AC3Filter from the official site.
2.) Install the AC3filter(The current version 111 will open a tray icon when it's in use for adjustments or you can use the offline configuration utility which is placed in a folder on the start menu under AC3filter.)
3.) Under Setup->Detailed Setup->Video/Adio select the Audio decoder for MPEG2 to be AC3filter.
4.) Now you would modify the AC3filters settings using the tray icon when something is playing or with the offline config.

5.)
a.)If you have 2 speakers turn off the Normalize Matrix option under Equalizer which may be enough. If not boost the gain a little as well.
b.)If you have multiple speakers, If you look under the different options there is a Master Gain - try raising this to your liking during playback.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:14 PM
Sage Icon

Or drag your Wave slider to about 1/3rd volume in your sound controls.

P
Old 02-04-2007, 05:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks ke6guj, I was having the same problem as Mikeydog except with DVDs instead of HD.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks ke6guj and nyle.
I was having the same issues with my hd content.
I had installed ac3 but forgot to do number 3.
All good now.

Last edited by ozfiles; 02-04-2007 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:26 PM
Sage User

Ke6guj. Thanks for the help. The only problem is by selecting AC3Filter it makes sage use that for all audio correct?? If I boost my gain when I switch to an SD broadcast it is extreamly loud now... So I'm not any better off...

Am I missing something..

Thanks
Mike
Old 02-05-2007, 09:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeydog
Ke6guj. Thanks for the help. The only problem is by selecting AC3Filter it makes sage use that for all audio correct?? If I boost my gain when I switch to an SD broadcast it is extreamly loud now... So I'm not any better off...

Am I missing something..

Thanks
Mike
Did you do:

Quote:
a.)If you have 2 speakers turn off the Normalize Matrix option under Equalizer which may be enough. If not boost the gain a little as well.
Using the AC3 filter as suggested above does even out the sound levels a lot. If you're not seeing a change something isn't right.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:57 AM
Sage Icon

My SD audio is a little higher than it was before, but the HD audio is a lot closer. I haven't got the balance exactly right, but it is close enough that just a little bit of TV volume adjustment will take care of it. A lot better than having to max of the TV to play AC3 and then forgetting to lower it before watching some normal TV

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:48 PM
Sage User

Ok. Thanks Ke6... That's about were I am then..

blade: i'm using 5.1