SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:06 AM
Sage Fanatic

any chance for an auto sleep function?

any chance a property like this could be added at the server end for the mvp's?

my kids have a habit of not turning the mvp's off so they occupy the darn tuner cards and run all day. it would be nice if there was an event timer where if no button pushes had been noted after a timeout period - say 3 hours? the mvp would automatically go into sleep mode and release the tuner.

as a side note it would also be nice if a property existed where channel changes or recordings set specifically at the server end would force the mvp to release a tuner but i don't think that one is do-able?

thanks
Old 01-24-2007, 09:43 AM
Sage Expert

I don't have an answer to this (my inlaws stay with us frequently and do the same thing).

My son is 'trained' to only watch recordings. I'm working on my inlaws. LiveTV is so passe.

Seriously, the only live TV I ever see is the news and that's really infrequent. I may watch shows when they're on, but always through Sage Recordings.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GbrNole
any chance a property like this could be added at the server end for the mvp's?

my kids have a habit of not turning the mvp's off so they occupy the darn tuner cards and run all day. it would be nice if there was an event timer where if no button pushes had been noted after a timeout period - say 3 hours? the mvp would automatically go into sleep mode and release the tuner.

as a side note it would also be nice if a property existed where channel changes or recordings set specifically at the server end would force the mvp to release a tuner but i don't think that one is do-able?

thanks
You could use my Sleep Timer Plugin and set a recurring fixed time at which the UI shuts down every day.

As an alternative: I had the same problem (my wife leaves the MVP running all day in the bedroom ), and I wrote a small plugin for my personal use that auto-sleeps the UI every 2 hours (of course showing a dialog first with the ability to cancel). The timer gets reset whenever you change the channel or re-enter the OSD menu. If you are interested in this, let me know.

Dirk
Old 01-24-2007, 12:31 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by flachbar
You could use my Sleep Timer Plugin and set a recurring fixed time at which the UI shuts down every day.

As an alternative: I had the same problem (my wife leaves the MVP running all day in the bedroom ), and I wrote a small plugin for my personal use that auto-sleeps the UI every 2 hours (of course showing a dialog first with the ability to cancel). The timer gets reset whenever you change the channel or re-enter the OSD menu. If you are interested in this, let me know.

Dirk
I was gonna mention your sleep timer, but too slow.

As for the auto-sleep plugin, that would rock.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:13 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:

Dirk
dirk, that would be awesome if i could get a copy of that - it's pretty much exactly what i'm looking for. thanks!
Old 01-24-2007, 09:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
dirk, that would be awesome if i could get a copy of that - it's pretty much exactly what i'm looking for. thanks!
Are you guys using the default STV ? If so, it'll take a while, it currently runs only on SageMC and I'd have to modify it

Dirk
Old 01-24-2007, 09:55 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Are you guys using the default STV ? If so, it'll take a while, it currently runs only on SageMC and I'd have to modify it

Dirk
You drug me over to the dark side a while back, so a SageMC version would be fine for me. Although a default STV version would be nice, as I can't seem to get my parents to convert.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:24 AM
Sage Fanatic

i flip flop between both depending on how much my wife has been pushing my buttons on any given day... :P

yeah sagemc version would be great but i echo jack's sentiments too.

thanks,
nick.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Ok, here's the SageMC version, I'll whip up one for the default STV when I find some free time. The sleep time is set to 2 hours, but you can configure it with the property df/mvp_sleep_minutes. You will need to restart the UI after the import (you'll also need my df_sageutils.jar installed for the import to work). The next scheduled sleep time can be checked in the system info under Settings.

Dirk
Attached Files
File Type: zip mvp_autosleep.zip (2.5 KB, 365 views)
Old 01-25-2007, 04:47 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Ok, here's the SageMC version, I'll whip up one for the default STV when I find some free time.
Cool. Will it also work for normal clients instead of just the MVP? I installed it into my client and it looks like it is working. I see the sleep time in the system info, so we'll see.

Quote:
The sleep time is set to 2 hours, but you can configure it with the property df/mvp_sleep_minutes. You will need to restart the UI after the import (you'll also need my df_sageutils.jar installed for the import to work). The next scheduled sleep time can be checked in the system info under Settings.

Dirk
I like the 2 hour default, so I don't need to change it right now. But that property isn't listed in sageclient.properties. So, it needs to be added if you want to change it? And is it df/mvp_sleep_minutes or plugins/df/mvp_sleep_minutes like your other plugin properties are listed?

Old 01-25-2007, 05:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj
Cool. Will it also work for normal clients instead of just the MVP? I installed it into my client and it looks like it is working. I see the sleep time in the system info, so we'll see.
Yep, it will work with any client, I just use it for my MVP, hence the naming ...

Quote:
I like the 2 hour default, so I don't need to change it right now. But that property isn't listed in sageclient.properties. So, it needs to be added if you want to change it? And is it df/mvp_sleep_minutes or plugins/df/mvp_sleep_minutes like your other plugin properties are listed?
You are right, it should be 'plugins/df/mvp_sleep_minutes', but it I set it accidently to 'df/mvp_sleep_minutes' (just added it before the upload, I figured you guys might would like to set different times). So yes, add df/mvp_sleep_minutes...

Dirk
Old 01-25-2007, 05:55 PM
Sage Icon

Cool.

Thanks.

Old 02-09-2007, 08:34 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Ok, here's the SageMC version, I'll whip up one for the default STV when I find some free time. The sleep time is set to 2 hours, but you can configure it with the property df/mvp_sleep_minutes. You will need to restart the UI after the import (you'll also need my df_sageutils.jar installed for the import to work). The next scheduled sleep time can be checked in the system info under Settings.

Dirk

alright i'm a moron - how is it that i'm not getting this to show up? i have df_sageutils.jar in the JAR's folder and i have imported the proggy but nil, nada, zip?

now since i am a dumb ass i have a feeling that i'm not importing it correctly?

i have been importing through the sagemc "import stvi" button but should i actually be importing through the detailed setup, advanced, import sagemc.xml area?

also does it matter which foleder the auto sleep plugin is stored in?

thanks.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:33 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
The timer gets reset whenever you change the channel or re-enter the OSD menu. If you are interested in this, let me know.

Dirk
Dirk, after using the auto-sleep timer for the last couple weeks, I really like it. It has completely replaced the original sleep timer for me.

I do have a question, can the timer reset be changed to listen for ANY keypress, instead of just when changing the channel or entering the OSD? There are many times that I don't need to bring up the OSD and am watching a specific channel for multiple hours. But I am usually doing stuff like pausing, or REW/FF. But, the timer will still trigger an auto-sleep if I am not careful.

Old 02-22-2007, 06:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
alright i'm a moron - how is it that i'm not getting this to show up? i have df_sageutils.jar in the JAR's folder and i have imported the proggy but nil, nada, zip?

now since i am a dumb ass i have a feeling that i'm not importing it correctly?

i have been importing through the sagemc "import stvi" button but should i actually be importing through the detailed setup, advanced, import sagemc.xml area?

also does it matter which foleder the auto sleep plugin is stored in?

thanks.
GbrNole,

sorry for not responding earlier, I didn't subscribe to this thread and must have missed the new posts in here ..

Do you still have the problem you described ? It doesn't really matter if you use the SageMC "Import STVi" button or the one in Detailed setup (both call the same code), and it shouldn't matter either from where you import the plugin. Can you generate a debug log file (see my sig), maybe I can see something in there...

Dirk
Old 02-22-2007, 06:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj
Dirk, after using the auto-sleep timer for the last couple weeks, I really like it. It has completely replaced the original sleep timer for me.

I do have a question, can the timer reset be changed to listen for ANY keypress, instead of just when changing the channel or entering the OSD? There are many times that I don't need to bring up the OSD and am watching a specific channel for multiple hours. But I am usually doing stuff like pausing, or REW/FF. But, the timer will still trigger an auto-sleep if I am not careful.
Hi Jack,

I'd have to add the code to every existing listener (and there are quite a few) to reset on ANY keypress, but I could add it to some specific ones like Pause, REW and FF if this helps

Dirk
Old 02-22-2007, 06:53 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
but I could add it to some specific ones like Pause, REW and FF if this helps
Yah, I think just adding in the main ones that people would use while staying on one channel. Pause, Play/Pause, REW, REW2, FF, & FF2 would probably cover everything I can think of. Anything else, and your probably gonna be going to a new channel or recording, and you already have that dealt with.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:52 PM
Sage User

Is sleeping the same as powering off the device? I have a problem with MVPs powering on and holding onto licenses. And because of the SageTV licensing flaw that these people still haven't fixed, new connections show TRIAL instead of bumping idle devices.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:00 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmann
Is sleeping the same as powering off the device? I have a problem with MVPs powering on and holding onto licenses. And because of the SageTV licensing flaw that these people still haven't fixed, new connections show TRIAL instead of bumping idle devices.
I don't know if I'd call that a flaw; perhaps I'm misunderstanding your point. Are you suggesting that if person A is using a placeshifter licence, and person B logs on, that person A should be bumped off?

I do wish there was a way to see (from a PlaceShifter connection) and control what other PlaceShifters are connected. That way if I left a connection open on one PC and go to another, I could bump that one off. Of course that would involve security models, etc...
Old 02-22-2007, 08:32 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainswor99
I don't know if I'd call that a flaw; perhaps I'm misunderstanding your point. Are you suggesting that if person A is using a placeshifter licence, and person B logs on, that person A should be bumped off?

I do wish there was a way to see (from a PlaceShifter connection) and control what other PlaceShifters are connected. That way if I left a connection open on one PC and go to another, I could bump that one off. Of course that would involve security models, etc...
In a nutshell, yes. First is the flaw of the default state of the MVP being ON. so if they power cycle, they connect to the server and take a license. Second, is the flaw that there is no way to shut down MVPs and Placeshifters unless you are sitting in front of it.

The simplest solution is to have new connections bump an idle connection or the oldest connection.

but back to the question at hand: will sleeping accomplish the same thing powering off the device?