SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

Houston, we have a problem (with new HD TV)

I just got a Toshiba 62HM196 TV. It is a very nice TV and I am happy with it. This version did not have a analog PC Input, which I did not think would produce a good high def. picture anyway. But it has two HDMI inputs. I got a PC with DVI output. I got a DVI to HDMI cable and was all excited until I read the TV's manual and it said the HDMI input was not intended to be used with a PC. Sure enough, I tired it and got zero picture.

I imagine I could take the TV back, but we are talking a major hassle, because the box is all cut up and it is a big TV. Question, is there any other way I can get video from my computer to this TV via some other means. The computer only has the DVI and analog RGB outputs. But are there some cables that would convert these to something else? But my guess (and I am not the sharpest tack in this area as you can tell) is that I will be out of luck on getting high def playback on this TV via Sage. If only Sage's MVP produced High Def quality.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Brent
Old 01-04-2007, 08:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcraig
I got a DVI to HDMI cable and was all excited until I read the TV's manual and it said the HDMI input was not intended to be used with a PC. Sure enough, I tired it and got zero picture.
At what resolution? Make sure you're feeding it something it can handle. As I understand it, "not intended to be used with a PC" generally means it does not have all the resolution and refresh rate options of a typical PC monitor. But if you set your desktop to one of the standard HD resolutions (e.g. 1280x720 @ 60 Hz) most HDMI TVs will take it. Or so I've read; I haven't actually tried this myself.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the suggestion, Greg. I tried that resolution and refresh rate, but without success. :-(

Brent
Old 01-04-2007, 09:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

What graphics card are you using?

Does it not have a standard HDTV setting, 720p, 1080i ?

I found for my set up, manually setting it to something like 1280x720 was a PITA, where as if I set as HDTV > 720p it works fine.

Is you computer detecting the TV?
Old 01-04-2007, 09:47 PM
Sage Aficionado

Is it looking for an HDCP handshake? You might try searching the web for Keene Electronics and a device of theirs you can find on E-bay.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

A NVida GeForce 7300 LE.

I cannot tell if the Computer is detecting the TV because the screen is blank? Can I have my regular monitor hooked up to the computer at the same time as the TV?

Brent
Quote:
Originally Posted by camus
What graphics card are you using?

Does it not have a standard HDTV setting, 720p, 1080i ?

I found for my set up, manually setting it to something like 1280x720 was a PITA, where as if I set as HDTV > 720p it works fine.

Is you computer detecting the TV?
Old 01-04-2007, 10:06 PM
Sage Advanced User

FWIW, my video card on my computer does have a S-cable output. I have not tried that. Maybe I should even though it would be below HD quality.

Brent
Old 01-04-2007, 10:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
A NVida GeForce 7300 LE.

I cannot tell if the Computer is detecting the TV because the screen is blank? Can I have my regular monitor hooked up to the computer at the same time as the TV?

Brent

Yes, and it would probably be helpful.

With that card I really can't see you not being able to get a picture it just might to a bit to figure out how. With the second monitor you will be able to change settings for the TV.

Last edited by camus; 01-04-2007 at 11:00 PM.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:22 AM
Sage Advanced User

I downloaded the latest driver for my video card, which included the accompanying control panel by Nvidia. I cannot get the computer to even recognize the TV. I have rebooted with just the TV tied to the computer, and still no luck.

Man, this is aggravating. I could have bought a TV with a VGA input, but did not think I needed, too.

BTW, I tried sending the signal to the TV with the S-Video out, but that did not work, either.

I hope I don't have to wait for a HD MVP Extender. Any other ideas?

Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by camus

Yes, and it would probably be helpful.

With that card I really can't see you not being able to get a picture it just might to a bit to figure out how. With the second monitor you will be able to change settings for the TV.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:20 AM
Sage Advanced User

I am just thinking out loud here in my desperation to get Sage on my new TV. The TV has loads of component inputs, but my computer does not have component outputs. Any recommendations on a quality video card with component outputs, or what is there a converter cable from DVI to components or VGA to components? I don't even know if this would work.

Also, the TV has some inputs called ColorStream HD. Don't know anything about that.

Brent
Old 01-05-2007, 06:35 AM
Sage Icon

You may want to try/search avsforum as there is probably info about people trying to connect PCs there. For pretty much every owner's thread over there people ask about connecting PCs.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:03 AM
Sage Advanced User

I just ordered this gadget. Hopefully, it will do the trick...

http://sewelldirect.com/VGA-to-HDTV-Converter.asp

Quote:
I am just thinking out loud here in my desperation to get Sage on my new TV. The TV has loads of component inputs, but my computer does not have component outputs. Any recommendations on a quality video card with component outputs, or what is there a converter cable from DVI to components or VGA to components? I don't even know if this would work.

Also, the TV has some inputs called ColorStream HD. Don't know anything about that.

Brent
Old 01-05-2007, 07:05 AM
Sage Expert

FWIW to use the DVI on my RPHDTV Sammy I had to spoof the EDID so that the GPU would inable the DVI port. I have the same symptoms that you are having on my TV with either an ATI running CCC or my 7600GT running the latest NV drivers. YMMV.

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1378
Old 01-05-2007, 07:31 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:

BTW, I tried sending the signal to the TV with the S-Video out, but that did not work, either.

Brent

I'm thinking this is just a PC setting issue. Shouldn't the TV work if you are feeding it S-video at least?
Server: Athlon 2000XP; 1GB Kingston Ram; 250GB Seagate; 160GB Seagate; 160GB Western Digital; Lite-on DVD player; Hauppauge Rosyln; Hauppauge PVR-150; ATI AIW 7500; Actisys 200L; running stock v5 .stv

Client: MVP Extender running SageMC
Old 01-05-2007, 08:25 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:

Brent

1) Use the Component Connectors on you TV

2.a) Buy a Video card that has HDTV adaptors for Component inputs. there are many

2.b) I use this for my ATI 9700 pro
ATI VGA to Component HDTV Adapter Model 6140016500 -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814999204

For DVI-I to Component
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814999203

good luck and enjoy your new tv

Last edited by Fluffdaddy; 01-05-2007 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:48 AM
Sage Icon

The nVIDIA cards I've had, came with an S-Video *looking* adapter...the port on the back of the card is not S-Video though. Try finding that adapter (It should have been in the box with the card), and that should allow Composite, S-Video, and Component Hookup.

P

Last edited by Polypro; 03-05-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:57 AM
Sage Icon

Ahhh I missed the fact that he has a GeForce 7300 LE.
FYI..... not all nVIDIA cards can used that nVIDIA cards S-Video/HDTV adapter. My nVIDIA 6200 does but I don't know about the 7300 LE
Old 01-05-2007, 10:15 AM
Sage Icon

Yeah, I guess it depends on the mfg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

P
Old 01-05-2007, 10:33 AM
Sage Advanced User

Mine came preinstalled with a Gateway computer. I will have to check. Thanks.

Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro
The nVIDIA cards I've had, came with an S-Video *looking* adapter...the port on the back of the card is not S-Video though. Try finding that adapter (It should have been in the box with the card), and that should allow Composite, S-Video, and Component Hookup.

P
Old 01-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Sage Advanced User

I wonder if anyone has used a VGA to component adapter with a GeForce 7300 LE (like my card). Those kind of adapters are a lot cheaper than this gadget (http://sewelldirect.com/VGA-to-HDTV-Converter.asp) I ordered. I just wonder if it would work.

Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffdaddy
1) Use the Component Connectors on you TV

2.a) Buy a Video card that has HDTV adaptors for Component inputs. there are many

2.b) I use this for my ATI 9700 pro
ATI VGA to Component HDTV Adapter Model 6140016500 -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814999204

For DVI-I to Component
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814999203

good luck and enjoy your new tv