SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-29-2006, 10:28 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Need OTA HD tuner recommendation

I've been using SageTV for years and just recently upgraded to v6.

My PC:
WinXP SP2 (no MCE yet. Maybe with Vista in the future)
P4 2.8Ghz
Intel 865 chipset mobo
512MB RAM
two Hauppauge PVR-250 tuners for analog cable
one MyHD MDP-130 card for OTA HD from an antenna (local channels all I need). I live only 6 miles from all the broadcast antennas in Cleveland.
SageTV, TheaterTek, PowerDVD, Foobar, etc.
250Gb HDD, Kb/Ms, remote control, etc.

I've been happily using this setup for years. I record most programs with Sage through my Hauppauge tuners and display it on my Hitachi 36SDX01S TV. It's a 4:3 direct-view 36" that supports 800x600 PC VGA directly. Basically, I have the luxury of using it as a big analog 36" monitor.

When I feel the desire to watch or record something in HD, I fire up the native software of my MDP-130 card. My TV supports 1080i through it's component-in, so I like watching HD through it because its sharper than the SVGA output of my video card. But it's a hassle and not WAF friendly. She only uses Sage, so most of the time I just watch recorded analog cable.

What I want is integration with SageTV when choosing programs to record, be it HD or SD. I don't mind keeping my MDP-130 card for viewing on special occasions, like the Super Bowl, but I would like to get a PCI or USB Tuner that works for ATSC OTA signals and integrates completely with SageTV. Ideally, when I choose to record a program where a high-def version is available, like some primetime show on a major network, Sage would choose the HD card and use my OTA antenna over the Hauppauge PVR-250's.

I know that Salsbt has gone to great lengths to get the MyHD cards working with Sage, but in my case QAM is not necessary, so I don't have to go through that trouble for *recording*. For the occasional playback, yes, the MyHD cards are better, but even a HD show viewed through Sage and my VGA out is still better than an analog cable recording.

And lastly, if the recorded content (.ts / .tp files?) through this tuner card can be played back on the MyHD cards without extra processing, that would be great.

1) So which HD tuner should I get?

2) Is there something better for SD than my PVR-250's that I should be looking at?

3) Anything with both #1 and #2 combined? I only need two simultaneous tuners. Three would be icing, but not necessary.

Robert
Old 12-29-2006, 10:38 AM
Sage Icon

Lightbulb

Hmmm. I also have full home-run Ethernet cabling in my house, of which my HTPC is part of that network. The cable modem, firewall/router, switch, etc. are all in my basement. My cableTV is also distributed out of my basement to all those tuners and bedroom analog TV's.

Would the HDHomeRun be the device I want? I just noticed it in another thread.

I suppose my only gotcha would be the antenna for OTA HD. I'd have to rig something above ground level. Does SageTV have full support for that?

Robert
Old 12-29-2006, 11:01 AM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to Diginerd Send a message via Yahoo to Diginerd
I've had good experiences with the ATI 650 Theater card. Available from your local best buy (But cheaper elsewhere).

It works really well as a HD tuner OTA (Radioshack do some inexpensive antennas that are almost as good as the super expensive ones out there). Just make sure you check what OTA signals you can realisticaly expect to receive at you location.

It will also tune analog cable or analog OTA, except that's SOFTWARE encoded, so it consumes cpu to do. It will NOT do this at the same time as recording ATSC, it's one or the other at once.

HD Homerun (Two simultaneous channels of digital only) or Autmnwave's USB-GT both offer off-cable QAM recording, though here are various degress of success reported. The USB GT will also tune analog cable from the same line, but again is sotware encoded and consumes CPU resource to do.

Your final option for HD is the STB Firewire method that is documented to death on here. It works well for some and not at all for others. It has some other limitations, but it's the only thing that will get you digital recordings of certain premium channels. If you are luck and don't have 5c enabled by your cable company (Mine doesn't at this time).

Good luck!
Old 12-29-2006, 11:12 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by valnar
Hmmm. I also have full home-run Ethernet cabling in my house, of which my HTPC is part of that network. The cable modem, firewall/router, switch, etc. are all in my basement. My cableTV is also distributed out of my basement to all those tuners and bedroom analog TV's.

Would the HDHomeRun be the device I want? I just noticed it in another thread.

I suppose my only gotcha would be the antenna for OTA HD. I'd have to rig something above ground level. Does SageTV have full support for that?

Robert

I would recommend the HD HomeRun. I have one and am very happy with it (and the support for it). I too have an MDP-130. The nice thing is that you can play back the files from the HDHomeRun recorded by Sage through the MDP-130 if your video card is not adequate for HD playback. Some folks even have Sage launch the MyHD application to play files.

I really like how the HDHomeRun integrates into Sage. In a word - seamless.

Wayne
Old 12-29-2006, 11:15 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diginerd
I've had good experiences with the ATI 650 Theater card. Available from your local best buy (But cheaper elsewhere)

It will also tune analog cable or analog OTA, except that's SOFTWARE encoded, so it consumes cpu to do. It will NOT do this at the same time as recording ATSC, it's one or the other at once.
Software? Really? That's interesting that is recommended so much above the hardware based PVR-150/250 cards.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:28 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaszoo
I would recommend the HD HomeRun. I have one and am very happy with it (and the support for it). I too have an MDP-130. The nice thing is that you can play back the files from the HDHomeRun recorded by Sage through the MDP-130 if your video card is not adequate for HD playback. Some folks even have Sage launch the MyHD application to play files.

I really like how the HDHomeRun integrates into Sage. In a word - seamless.

Wayne
Well, I suppose that is probably best. Seamless and stable are important. Even better it would future proof me since who knows how many PCI slots my next HTPC will have.... OK, thanks.

No recommendations on the nVidua Dual tuner thingy?

Robert
Old 12-29-2006, 12:47 PM
Sage Icon

I second the HDHR. The DualTV is SD only.

P
Old 12-29-2006, 12:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by valnar
Well, I suppose that is probably best. Seamless and stable are important. Even better it would future proof me since who knows how many PCI slots my next HTPC will have.... OK, thanks.

No recommendations on the nVidua Dual tuner thingy?

Robert
Yeah, I forgot about the PCI slot problem. I am currently maxed out (2 Hauppauge cards, MDP-130 and an Avermedia A-180). When I have the $ I plan to get a second HD HomeRun and pull the two HD cards out to reduce the heat in the case. Plus I really like the way the HD HomeRun works. Right now I have it directly connected to my unused network controller so I will have to buy a switch to connect a second unit.

Wayne
Old 12-29-2006, 01:09 PM
Sage Expert

Another happy HDHR user, although I use it for QAM so as not to split my antenna too many times.