SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-26-2006, 10:39 AM
Sage Advanced User

Upgrading from 3.0.5 to 6

Hey guys,

I'm about to upgrade my system from 3 to 6. I have a few questions.

First, is there any way to keep the video information and my past history when upgrading?

Second I'm not upgrading my tuner cards yet (a Hauppauge 150 and a 500), but I'd like to go HD soon. Is that easy? What tuner card seems to be the most commonly used? Can you use any HD card for cable HD?

Third, my DVD viewing experience has never been that great. I bought software a while back but i've never had much luck with it. It has never worked well with my remote, which I'm' sure is a configuration issue. I can pretty much start and stop the movie. That is about it. I bought Zoomplayer Pro. Any suggestions here? -- I use the Hauppauge remote

Fourth, I paid for the upgrade to SageTV on the 24th and still have not gotten it. I had assumed it was a automated process, but maybe it is handled manually I don't know. Any idea?

Thanks for any help/suggestions you can provide.

Brian

Oh, another question: I was thinking that I may have to just install version 6 fresh. Is that the best route or can/should I upgrade from 3 to 6? Is that possible or do I need to download all the versions in between and update 1 version at a time?

Last edited by bclenney; 12-26-2006 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

Any help?
Old 12-26-2006, 09:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclenney
Any help?
Some of your questions have been covered on the forum recently... and a lot of people are taking time off.

Quote:

First, is there any way to keep the video information and my past history when upgrading?
The beta forum has a sticky thread that has instructions for doing a safe upgrade w/the possiblity to revert to your previous version afterwards. Or, you can just install over the top of the current version w/o doing anything else.

Quote:
Fourth, I paid for the upgrade to SageTV on the 24th and still have not gotten it. I had assumed it was a automated process, but maybe it is handled manually I don't know. Any idea?
There is an entry in the forum's FAQ thread that says to contact SageTV. Yes, it is sent out automatically, but it seems to get blocked by spam filters for some people.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Hey guys,

First, is there any way to keep the video information and my past history when upgrading? Not sure about "video information" though
Yes, make a backup of your wiz.bin and Sage.Properties file just in case but it will upgrade fine.

Quote:
Second I'm not upgrading my tuner cards yet (a Hauppauge 150 and a 500), but I'd like to go HD soon. Is that easy? What tuner card seems to be the most commonly used? Can you use any HD card for cable HD?
I use the Vbox 150's and they work perfectly with 2 Hauppauge 500's. Very easy. Not so easy with cable. You can only do QAM over cable, that I'm aware of, so if the channel is encrypted you are SOL.

Quote:
Third, my DVD viewing experience has never been that great. I bought software a while back but i've never had much luck with it. It has never worked well with my remote, which I'm' sure is a configuration issue. I can pretty much start and stop the movie. That is about it. I bought Zoomplayer Pro. Any suggestions here? -- I use the Hauppauge remote
Sage can play unencrypted DVD's. It can also play/stream DVD's that have been ripped to a HD on a local client or a Media Extender via transcoding. All the remote functions are built into Sage for the Hauppauge remote.

Quote:
Don't know. That's a support question.

Thanks for any help/suggestions you can provide.

Brian

Quote:
Oh, another question: I was thinking that I may have to just install version 6 fresh. Is that the best route or can/should I upgrade from 3 to 6? Is that possible or do I need to download all the versions in between and update 1 version at a time?
Not sure since I install each version as it comes out but I think it is prefectly fine and supported. Upgrade is the prefered method for sure. Just backip the wiz.bin and Sage.properties file and you can always roll back.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

Too slow!
Old 12-26-2006, 10:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabrue
Sage can play unencrypted DVD's. It can also play/stream DVD's that have been ripped to a HD on a local client or a Media Extender via transcoding. All the remote functions are built into Sage for the Hauppauge remote.
Just to clarify, in case it is needed: SageTV and SageTVClient can play commercial encrypted DVDs in your DVD drive, but you have to have a DVD decoder that can play them. SageTV cannot play encrypted DVDs on MVP extenders.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the replies everyone. Wish me luck, I'm going to be updating my DVR tonight and tomorrow. My wife and I love this thing and I think it's time to be able to burn DVDs off it