SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-23-2006, 07:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

Problem Install of Single HD Tuner A180 ERROR (-4,0x80004005)

I'm hoping someone can help me. This week I bought the HD Sage kit which includes a single A180 and license to Sage. Also, I bought a brand new Dell e521 System and done a complete format and reinstall of the Windows 2005 MCE OS. I cannot get the a180 HD tuner working. It is a single tuner system with the a180 being the ONLY tuner on the system.

The e521 has MCE 2005 sp2. I have done a plain vanilla install of the OS and only the needed Dell drivers for video, ethernet, etc.

I have OTA HD Antenna in the attic currently and it pulls in picture perfect on my Sony 50" TV. The problem I'm having, it seems, is either a defective card or a defective installer (me).

I've spend literally 10 hours trying to get the software working from a clean virgin installation of the OS. I do not have a SD tuner in my system so I can't use the tuner on MCE and my goal was a single tuner HD Sage box. I've downloaded the Avermedia A180 driver executable installation program found http://www.aver.com/mpd/support/download/a180.html to install the a180 driver.

I've run that driver installation both before installing the card and also (after reinstalling windows) after installing the card. The A180 card installation seems to go fine and the device shows up in device manager and says it is running properly. However, when Sage tries to connect to the card I get the following error from Sage:
There was a Capture Error in playback. Details: ERROR (-4,0x80004005): There was a problem using the capture device. Please be sure you have the latest drivers installed for your capture device, and that they are installed correctly.

I'm pulling my hair out here. I'm at a loss of what to do next. I'm new to HTPC stuff but figured this wouldn't be so difficult.... All the reviews say the installation of an A180 is the easiest thing in the world. I certainly expected to have no problems but I'm at a complete standstill.
Could the card be defective?
Could I somehow be pulling the wrong drivers?
Is there some setting in MCE I need to select to "enable" the card?

I've disabled 3 Media Center Services from ControlPanel->Admin->Services:
Media Center Extender Service: Disabled
Media Center Receiver Service: Disabled
MEdia Center Scheduler Service: Disabled

In device manager, the A180 is listed as working properly, using driver version 3.5.0.44, dated 11/14/2006.

In Sage setup as the program starts up I set all the various options... once it gets to selecting an input source the only option I see is "AverMedia BDA Analog Capture". I click that, and then click "Digital TV Tuner" from the optional inputs on that card. I then immediately get the error above ERROR (-4,0x80004005).

Please help a noob out for Christmas...

Last edited by dealsdyker; 03-09-2007 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:44 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealsdyker
http://www.aver.com/mpd/support/download/a180.html
There was a Capture Error in playback. Details: ERROR (-4,0x80004005): There was a problem using the capture device. Please be sure you have the latest drivers installed for your capture device, and that they are installed correctly.

driver version 3.5.0.44, dated 11/14/2006.
Is there a known problem with these A180 drivers under MCE? Is anyone using these specific drivers successfully under MCE2005?
Old 12-27-2006, 01:10 PM
Sage Icon

Sorry your not getting any responses right now, but with the Holidays, many of the regular users may be on vacation. You may want to fire off a support request to Sage at http://sage.tv/request.html for some official support.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yeah, I did that on the 23rd but with the long weekend I think you are right that everyone is out for the Holidays. I'm certain it is the Avermedia A180 driver. Borrowed a friends tuner card (different brand but HD only) and it works great.

So I'm pretty sure it has to be the Aver drivers. Had to return my friend's tuner card though.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:43 PM

dealsdyker,

Where you able to solve this problem? I have the same setup as you and am having the same problem.

Thanks.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:27 PM
Sage Icon

What decoders (Audio & Video) and how are they set up?

P
Old 02-01-2007, 03:28 PM

Polypro:

I'll post which decoders I'm using later today when I get home, thanks for your question. I'm guessing that I can find this information within Sage's settings? Sorry, I'm new to all of this.

My graphics card is a PNY Technologies GeForce 7600 GS 512 ddr2 pci-e on a Dell Dimension E521: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 3800+ (2.0 GHz), 1G of RAM.

I should also add that Sage works fine with A180's svideo and component inputs. With he HD antenna I'm having no luck. As dealsdyker posted, when I try to set it as an input, and Sage asks to wait for a picture, I get the error (-4,0x80004005).

I am using the executable that dealsdyker points to on the first post to intall the A180. I am working with Dell's factory install of Windows MCE, meaning that instead of a clean format/install of the OS, I am just restoring the factory drive backup since I don't have the OS disks.

fb
Old 02-01-2007, 11:04 PM

Problem Solved!

After digging around some more I found a link in the AVS forums to a second set of drivers:

Drivers Link

I also uninstalled the Media Center Rollup 2 as suggested on another thread.

Thanks to everyone that posts on these forums!... now on to intall my remote control!

fb
Old 01-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
Problem Solved!

After digging around some more I found a link in the AVS forums to a second set of drivers:

Drivers Link

I also uninstalled the Media Center Rollup 2 as suggested on another thread.

Thanks to everyone that posts on these forums!... now on to intall my remote control!

fb
I am having the same problem, and the link here no longer works. I downloaded the latest driver from AverMedia and still the same problem. The only difference between this issue and mine is that I don't receive an error when I try to set up the capture card.
In my case, I just get the "please wait ...." message.

Would someone please help me?

I also have 2 other ATI capture cards that are working without any problem.

Last edited by Keo; 01-02-2009 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 01-08-2009, 08:46 AM
Sage User

Same problem here just got SageTV last night.

Try to set up the capture card Hauppage HVR-1250 and get the message:

Reload the card driver tried again same message....

It work once and after I turn SageTV off to see if it work I had to do the set up again

Any idea

HTPC : GA-MA78G-DS3H, AMD 5200+ 2.7GHZ cpu, 4GB A-Data,2> HVR-1250 tuner,160HDD,250HDD,Antec Sonata,Vista Home Premium, 4221 Channel Master, DBGH antenna home built, HL67A750,HLR-5064 Samsung,PS3.