SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 12-17-2006, 02:55 AM
Sage Icon

Any thoughts on Closed Caption support after transcoding MPEG>AVI

Any thoughts on Closed Caption CC support after transcoding a CC-imbedded MPG file after it is Sage-converted to a AVI file. I found out that I now have CC support on my PVR-150 and PVR-500 , so I then tested to see if I still have CC in the transcoded AVI files.

No dice, CC is gone. Didn't expect to see it there. So I extracted the CC info with mpg2srt.exe and had the .smi file. Still nothing. I then used malore's STV for V4 and did get them to display, but its an old STV.

Maybe now that the number of users that will now have access to CC has increased greatly, there may a bigger reason to get some "official" CC support. It would be nice to have the sage video player display subtitle files such as .smi, .srt, or .sub, instead of needing to use something like VobSub. And to be able to control subtitle on/off in the player would be nice. If that could be accomplished, then maybe Sage could set up the video transcoder to run mpg2srt before converting the file.

edit: CC support for the PVR-150/500 is enabled by merely updating the driver to "Driver Release 2.0.48.24201.PreRelease" or newer.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:31 AM
Sage User

Send a message via AIM to Guyverix Send a message via Yahoo to Guyverix
CC and subtitles..

I am also looking for some more support for subtitle options. Any kind of button toggle hack would be fine for me..
Old 02-21-2007, 06:56 PM
Sage Icon

I got it working on the server w/ .mpg after the last driver update. Only problem is with the display of CC text on the playback IN sage. I get a ~95% transparent rectangle outline and inside is CC text that I can barely make out against the video itself. I've asked before if there was a way to change the CC display properties, but no one has responded. It still doesn't work on the MVP yet. I haven't started transcoding archived files, but it would be nice to have CC in AVI.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:18 PM
Sage Icon

I think the CC display properties are coded into the CC stream. I've seen colored CC when it was needed, and for emphasis, expecially during commercials or the "CC sponsored by Ford" CC.

I uploaded a short mpg clip with CC in it. DL it and see if you can read the CC. The CC looks fine on my system. White in a transparant black box. That would let you know if it is your recording or viewing end that has the problem. http://www.jackofsometrades.com/video/Friends.mpg

It would be nice to see support for some sort of CC/subtitles for .avi files, expecially since I understand that newer mplayer builds can display CC or subtitles. But, for right now, I just use a lower quality DVD format for that stuff I would normally convert to .avi.

Last edited by ke6guj; 02-21-2007 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:28 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemicuda
I haven't started transcoding archived files, but it would be nice to have CC in AVI.
I've done a quick port of the malore CC support that ke6guj says works on avi's using .smi files. I don't have any CC content to test on, but I think I've got everything. Let me know. Should work on Version 5.0, 6.0 and 6.1

Installation is a 3 step process.
Step 1. Unzip into SageTV maintaining the directories. (ie: The df_sageutils.jar from the zip file needs to be in the JARS directory. The other files need to be in the STVs\SageTV3 directory.)
Step 2. Restart Sage so it will pick up the new jar.
Step 3. Load the import by going to Setup -> Detailed Setup -> Advanced, then select "Import SageTV Application Package"

John

Edit: Replaced my newer version posted later

Last edited by JREkiwi; 02-23-2007 at 05:21 AM.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:42 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj
I uploaded a short mpg clip with CC in it. DL it and see if you can read the CC. The CC looks fine on my system. White in a transparent black box. That would let you know if it is your recording or viewing end that has the problem.
works fine on the laptop. I'll have to wait til i get back in town to try it on the server. I've made so many changes to the registry since rumors of CC support started that I have no idea what I should actually have in there now that it's officially working. It has over a dozen DVD-type formats listed among others.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:30 PM
Sage Icon

I downloaded ke6guj video clip, so I was able to test my first attempt

I've updated the import, if anyone is interested in testing it and providing feedback. I'd like to get it working adequately before I post it over in the Customizations sectiion

John
Old 02-22-2007, 03:12 PM
Sage Icon

Tried 01 last night and 02 today, still no worky. I get the option to turn on closed captioning, but it doesn't do anything.

I've also tested the same recordings in malore, and it works fine there.

Old 02-22-2007, 03:40 PM
Sage Icon

That's strange. I used your Friends MPG, extracted the captions to .smi, converted to avi and get captions showing when played. (had to do a little hack because it's too short so I was getting an invalid captions file message)

Do you mind posting your STV with the import loaded so I can have a look.

John
Old 02-22-2007, 03:57 PM
Sage Icon

My bad, I reimported the old stvi. screwed up on the unpacking of the zip.

Anyways, it does work for recordings and imports. However, If I have closed captioning enabled and then watch a new recording, the CC doesn't display until I disable, then re-enable closed captioning.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:20 AM
Sage Icon

ke6guj, can you try this one, hopefully it's fixed the disable/enable problem. I've also added some of Toxmox's marker icons that can be Enabled/Disabled in Customize.

John

Edit: Replaced my newer version posted later

Last edited by JREkiwi; 02-24-2007 at 01:31 AM.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:43 PM
Sage Icon

Looks like you got it nailed down.

Now to find a way to convert .sub and .srt files to .smi for my imported videos.

Old 02-23-2007, 03:02 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Looks like you got it nailed down.

Now to find a way to convert .sub and .srt files to .smi for my imported videos.
Thanks for your testing. Any other suggestions for things that need doing on this on usability or function.

A google search on convert .sub and .srt files to .smi yields many interesting possibilities.

John
Old 02-23-2007, 03:21 PM
Sage Icon

ok, here's what I get on the server at home.... just a translucent grey box where the text should be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg friends_cc.jpg (42.0 KB, 217 views)

Old 02-23-2007, 11:12 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JREkiwi
Thanks for your testing. Any other suggestions for things that need doing on this on usability or function.
You're welcome. One possible improvement would be to automatically display Closed Captioning if Muted.

Quote:
A google search on convert .sub and .srt files to .smi yields many interesting possibilities.
I played with a couple a while back, but malore's didn't like the formatting of the converted file or something. Kept getting an invalid file message. I'll need to try again.

Old 02-24-2007, 01:30 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
You're welcome. One possible improvement would be to automatically display Closed Captioning if Muted.
Try this one, version 0.4

John

Last edited by JREkiwi; 02-24-2007 at 03:09 AM.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:12 AM
Sage Icon

I tried it and I just get closed captioning enabled on the start of a recording. The mute button has no effect on closed captioning.

If I disable closed captioning and then start a new recording, closed captioning is enabled again.

Old 02-24-2007, 02:47 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I tried it and I just get closed captioning enabled on the start of a recording. The mute button has no effect on closed captioning.

If I disable closed captioning and then start a new recording, closed captioning is enabled again.
What happens if you have closed captions disabled in Setup -> Detailed Setup -> Customize -> Captions Playback Options

John
Old 02-24-2007, 02:54 AM
Sage Icon

With it disabled in Captions Playback OPtions, it defaults to no captions on start of playback, but its not autostarting on mute.

Old 02-24-2007, 03:08 AM
Sage Icon

And one more try...

thanks
John
Attached Files
File Type: zip Caption_Playback_05.zip (33.8 KB, 165 views)