SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 12-15-2006, 12:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by cummings66
I'll be installing it quickly, I hope it fixes the VMR FSE bug that RC1 had.
What bug was that?
Old 12-15-2006, 12:53 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to Motofreak75
Converting hdtv files to anything Mpeg4hdtv makes the volume levels about 2/3 lower than the original files.

I have submited this bug before and Just did it again.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:54 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsbst
So far, I've tested two problems and found that they have not been resolved:

* TSSplitter.ax must be unregistered in order to play back some firewire recordings (mostly SDTV)
The fix for firewire problem is enabled by registry RebuildPMT=1(DWORD) in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Frey Technologies\Common\DSFilters\MpegDeMux".
Old 12-15-2006, 01:01 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualQuad
I have been following threads on H.264/R5000 issues and really hoping it would make it into this release. It's very disappointing seeing RC2 and no mention.
Yes its disappointing, but it was already confirmed that it wouldnt make 6.0 release, back in the RC1 thread. We wont see the H.264 support in the Sage demux until 6.1.x according to the posts there.

Also, my attempts to use a different demux with a registry entry (elecard's H.264 demux to be specific) failed. So for now, I have given up on H.264 until I have more free time to mess with it.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:40 PM
Sage Fanatic

Placeshifter suggestion...

I don't know if there is a 'suggestion' box for SageTV or which thread would be appropriate.. so I'll take my chances and drop it in here..

First of all.. I LOVE placeshifter... BUT.. sometimes my connection to the server isn't quite what I'd like it to be... through NO FAULT of SageTV.. What I think would be a neat feature is to allow us users to 'download to PC for local playback'. There are times when I just can't get a watchable stream, but if I could download compressed show to watch later, that would work.. I'm thinking of a right click type option... <download to local pc>. I know many of these files are VERY large, so we would have to download a reasonably compressed/transcoded version, but I think that would be awesome!!

What do you think??
Old 12-15-2006, 02:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

version .17

when trying to change to a DVB-T channel on one tuner, while recording on the other. I am getting this error. Seems to have been happening from .15 onward.

Also, .17 does not seem to be creating sagetv log files by default anymore. How do I turn these back on?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crash.JPG (37.8 KB, 215 views)
Old 12-15-2006, 03:46 PM
Sage Icon

didn't see where anyone posted on this, but the random beep on the MVP is still there.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:59 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by moamoa
Also, .17 does not seem to be creating sagetv log files by default anymore. How do I turn these back on?
Add this to sage.properties and sageclient.properties with Sage completely shut down.
Quote:
debug_logging=TRUE

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:57 PM
Sage Icon

All caps, being the key on TRUE, BTW.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:42 PM
Sage Icon

Just did some testings with this latest beta, here's my findings:

MVP beeps, haven't heard one since v6.015. For those that still hear it, make sure you powered the MVP completely off once (unplug it). Also the other suggestion is to delete your "client" directory.

Photo browser, good work on the improvements particularly with the navigation suggestions I made before on the RC1 thread. And speed wise, its seems even faster now, same goes for the loading the Music folder. Keep up the good work optimizing it so that it gets as close to real-time as possible.

Video Conversion, I found a new bug in RC1 and confirmed its still in RC2. When doing conversion, if I choose to Replace Original Recording, then it ignores the Start and Duration settings. It would just convert the entire video. If I don't check the Replace Original Recording box, then the Start and Duration is used correctly. I will probably submit this as a bug unless someone proves it's not.

Vob playback. I still get the same bug where i can't FF/RW when after switching to 2nd audio stream. FF/RW works fine in 1st audio stream. Also, when switching from 2nd to 1st audio stream, the playback position moves back about 10 sec.

Favorites Manager, there's seems to be a bug where it would not schedule to record certain episodes, even first runs. Like last night, it would not schedule The Office. I checked and double checked the favorite settings, looked for conflicts, removed/re-added the favorites, but still it would not schedule that recording. I had to force it to record as manual recording. Also, when you switch a favorite to manual recording, it loses all start/end paddings, recording qualities, and any other favorite settings. It should've taken those into account, which would've been the smart way to do it.

Suggestion: on the a series folder of SageTV Recordings, when pressing ENTER, an option box pops up. There's a Browse Recordings, Play All Recordings Now, Delete All Recordings, etc. I noticed there's some space left for more buttons. A few suggestions of buttons to add concerning watched status:

- Play All Non-Watched Recordings
- Delete All Watched Recordings
(Yes, I know you can do this if you press the delete key with the series folder selected)
- Convert All Watched Recordings
- Convert All Archived Recordings

Lastly, this is an STV question, is it possible for the text on long file/folder/path names to be scrolled? The way it works now, the text just shrinks or gets cut off. Sometime it shrinks to a point where its impossible to read and looks like a UI glitch.

Overall, v6 is looking solid with each new beta. but I'm hoping for RC3 before it goes final.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.

Last edited by mayamaniac; 12-15-2006 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:09 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac
Lastly, this is an STV question, is it possible for the text on long file/folder/path names to be scrolled? The way it works now, the text just shrinks or gets cut off. Sometime it shrinks to a point where its impossible to read and looks like a UI glitch.
Motion seconded... I've disliked that "feature" since I started w/ Sage. Totally annoying even on the PC screen and unreadable on the TV.

Edit: something else I've noticed is that switching back and forth between v6 & v5 is giving my MVP fits. Lot of black screen boot-ups and such. had to delete the client file for it in v5 to get it up again. v6 & v5 are on different machines for testing since I REALLY don't want to accidentally cludge up my v5.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.

Last edited by hemicuda; 12-15-2006 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade
I'm also having problems with VMR9 and HD files. I "downgraded" my video card recently so I can't say if it was smooth under v5 or not. Something isn't right though because I use fraps to measure
What I discovered is that FSE is not reenabling correctly. If something takes the focus away when you bring Sage back you'll get stuttering. You have to exit the program and restart it before it takes back FSE.

That's why sometimes you play back hd content just fine and other times it jitters, stutters, and does all sorts of wrong things. It's all related to FSE from what I can tell.

The RC2 is still affected by the bug.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by moamoa
version .17

when trying to change to a DVB-T channel on one tuner, while recording on the other. I am getting this error. Seems to have been happening from .15 onward.

I have tried .15 - .17 again. Works ok in .15, but .16 and .17 both fail with error. Totally unsual so will need to move back to .15 for now.

I seriously hope you are not going to go final on this one!!
Old 12-15-2006, 07:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cummings66
What I discovered is that FSE is not reenabling correctly. If something takes the focus away when you bring Sage back you'll get stuttering. You have to exit the program and restart it before it takes back FSE.

That's why sometimes you play back hd content just fine and other times it jitters, stutters, and does all sorts of wrong things. It's all related to FSE from what I can tell.

The RC2 is still affected by the bug.
That's not what I'm seeing. Sage isn't losing focus. I can do a clean reboot and launch Sage and I still only get 42-44 fps. Very rarely have I been able to get smooth playback, which is why I wasn't sure my problem was Sage related or not.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:09 PM
Sage Aficionado

On video conversion, I have been getting failures on long HD recording conversions (2 hrs) Conversion of an hour or less work fine it is just any HD stuff 2 hours or possibly longer. I know it is not often you have recordings that long that you would like to convert but it happens from time to time. I have already submitted a bug report, just wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing pains with this. 95% of my conversion jobs are flawless it is just the long ones. They get to about 90% or more complete before they die.

I have considered using VideoReDo to cut commercials and see if that helps the conversion but I shouldn't have to do that I wouldn't think. (Love the way the conversion screen looks by the way)
Old 12-15-2006, 09:11 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'm using a 3Gig P4 with a Geforce 6600GT and 1 Gig of dual channel ram. I noticed something odd. When I came home tonight Sage was minimized to the taskbar, I don't know why since there's little running to cause that. I was watching SD tv and it had already started recording a show so I let it be, well AnyDvd come up and notified me it had an update on top of Sage while playing back a movie. That means Sage did not have FSE enabled even though I have it checked. Now if I exit sage and restart FSE will be working correctly. So proof positive that for some reason FSE is not working correctly.

I suppose I can set the property to not give up FSE when it minimizes, but the V5 never did this.

So, I know there is a bug related to FSE and the Nvidia cards need FSE when using VMR9 to give stutter free performance on HD.

I've submitted a bug report, but I don't hear back from them very often on bug reports. In the past it might take 2 months for them to answer me and usually it was to say there is no fix.

To be honest, I think they're going to leave FSE broken and release it as is because they've yet to acknowledge that those of us who've reported problems actually have a problem.

I personally like the way Gentoo Linux does their bug reporting, you can see from a database query the status of a bug and the developer makes an entry to say it is or is not a bug. It saves time for everybody because you only need to answer one time per bug.

I honestly wish Sage had bugzilla reporting, it would help immensely. In any case I think your problem might be related somehow to the VMR issues, assuming you're not using overlay. I had great playback then, but sometimes the decoder would not work and give a video playback error that required effort to get it back working.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:41 AM

Vista Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex
We will of course be supporting Windows Vista once it is released.
Not to split hairs, but the final version of Vista *was* released about 2 weeks ago to OEM, MSDN and VL customers; I've been running build 6000 for about a week and a half.

Of course, I've been running the last beta of SageTV 6 on my system since I installed Vista RC1, and apart from some compatibility problems with the Aero interface, have had few issues specific to the OS.
Old 12-16-2006, 07:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Earlier, I reported that unregistering tssplitter.ax was necessary to play back certain firewire recordings. Then, this fix was recommended:
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey
The fix for firewire problem is enabled by registry RebuildPMT=1(DWORD) in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Frey Technologies\Common\DSFilters\MpegDeMux".
1) The registry fix didn't seem to help.

2) It's not tssplitter.ax that needs to be unregistered, its stvmcspmpeg.ax (perhaps causing MpegDeMux.ax to be used instead, from what I can tell in graphedt).
Old 12-16-2006, 07:58 AM
SageTVaholic

Less jerky VMR9 playback...

I think some progress is being made on jerky VMR9 playback on my machine. It may be related to less debugging code as has been suggested, or it may be something else.

However, the video is still unwatchable, it's just less severe.

I've seen at least one file that was perfectly playable in graphedit, but not in Sage while using what I believe to be the same basic filter graph that Sage is using. I use the file source (async), Sage's MpegDemux.ax, Nvidia's latest build video decoder, VMR9, AC3 filter (latest stable release) and default audio renderer. For me, that gives clean playback in graphedit. Still, this file stutters in Sage.

Now, mind you, graphedt doesn't have the benefit of FSE. Sage is supposed to, and used to play cleaner than graphedt.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac
Favorites Manager, there's seems to be a bug where it would not schedule to record certain episodes, even first runs. Like last night, it would not schedule The Office. I checked and double checked the favorite settings, looked for conflicts, removed/re-added the favorites, but still it would not schedule that recording. I had to force it to record as manual recording. Also, when you switch a favorite to manual recording, it loses all start/end paddings, recording qualities, and any other favorite settings. It should've taken those into account, which would've been the smart way to do it.
I don't think this is a v6 issue. I am on v5 and The Office did not record for me at all. I think the issue maybe that it looks like the same episode is also broadcasting next week. So SageTV decided to wait and record that one. Not sure why. Also, BattleStar Galactica and Doctor Who did not record last night. Seems to be something up with the EPG info or the Farvorites Manager.