SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-23-2006, 09:21 AM
Sage Aficionado

I'm using a MX-500 http://www.remotecentral.com/mx500/ with the USB-UIRT and I've never had one problem. It's a good remote, ive never run out of buttons and I've got 3 kids and its lasted through juice spills, teething babies eating it and alot of drops. Its almost 5 years old as well!

Technazz
Old 11-27-2006, 02:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

Question Advice?

I've been following this thread closely. I am at the point in my setup where I need to pick a remote. But I am very confused about my options.

Ultimately I want to control a Samsung DLP-TV/Sony Digital receiver and the HTPC (currently Sage 6.014). The DVD player is in the HTPC also. My Acceptance Factor involves a non technical husband and a 12 year old child. They just want to push a button and have it "work". They are threatening to make me go back to the commercial DVR.

So here is what I think I know:

1) USBUIRT transceiver will let me use any remote I happen to have in the
house to control Sage. The TV and Audio Receiver can be programmed
onto that remote but will not use the USBUIRT to get their commands. I
will not be able to control any other software on the PC this way. Of
concern is the number of available buttons on the remote that I can link
to Sage Commands.

2) A Firefly or Streamzap remote has it's own IR receiver. These are
programmed to control SAGE from setup files you can create or download
from the vendor (or other users). I can control the TV and audio receiver
with one of these remotes but not any other software on the HTPC.

Something I do not understand - if these are RECEIVERS only (not
transmitters) how does the STB change it's channels?

3) "Girder" with a USBUIRT will allow me to control the TV/Receiver/HTPC
and also allow me to control other software on the HTPC machine.
There's a huge learning curve here though. The question is - is it MY
learning curve or theirs? And I still need a remote with lots of buttons to
program right?

I am so confused by all this. Is there a remote FAQ somewhere?
Thanks!
Old 11-27-2006, 02:22 PM
Sage Icon

Don't forget the MCE Receiver with a Harmony remote. Sage support, any other device support, and with the MCE keyboard you can teach the Harmony to launch and control any other program that offers keyboard shortcuts. IR blasting to STB's isn't supported however (I believe).

P
Old 11-27-2006, 02:53 PM
Sage Icon

"Girder" is just one of many programs that can be used. I believe others here have found HIP (free) a more user friendly version.

I previsouly used LIRC and Girder. I've now switched to USBUIRT and Sage built in support. I've not had a need for anything else, as I only use Sage.

Do you have any other specific programs you anticipate needing support for?

(the complexity is for you, not the user.)
Old 11-27-2006, 04:19 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by belleboyd
I've been following this thread closely. I am at the point in my setup where I need to pick a remote. But I am very confused about my options.

Ultimately I want to control a Samsung DLP-TV/Sony Digital receiver and the HTPC (currently Sage 6.014). The DVD player is in the HTPC also. My Acceptance Factor involves a non technical husband and a 12 year old child. They just want to push a button and have it "work". They are threatening to make me go back to the commercial DVR.
I suggest you get a universal remote such as one of the Harmony remotes that people mentioned on this thread. You can get the cheaper 6xx series if price is a factor. I think any one of the Harmony series will be able to control your TV, Receiver, DVD, etc. To control SageTV, get a USB-UIRT and Girder, and program it with the Harmony to control SageTV. I think other SageTV users here who use the Harmony/USB-UIRT/Girder combination can just share their Girder profile file with you, that will save you a lot of time. As for controlling your STB, thats another topic and should be posted in another thread if you need help with that, but the USB-UIRT will most likely play a role in that.
Quote:
So here is what I think I know:

1) USBUIRT transceiver will let me use any remote I happen to have in the
house to control Sage. The TV and Audio Receiver can be programmed
onto that remote but will not use the USBUIRT to get their commands. I
will not be able to control any other software on the PC this way. Of
concern is the number of available buttons on the remote that I can link
to Sage Commands.
The USB-UIRT is just an infrared receiver and transmitter. This means it can receive commands from any infrared remote, which are typically most remotes you own. The USB-UIRT can also send infrared signals to other devices, such as your TV or STB. But you need a software such as SageTV, Girder, or Hip to tell it what signals to send. You also need these little optional infrared attachments called IR blasters to connect to the USB-UIRT if you want to use it as both a receiver and transmitter. They are usually sold separately from the USB-UIRT.

Quote:
2) A Firefly or Streamzap remote has it's own IR receiver. These are
programmed to control SAGE from setup files you can create or download
from the vendor (or other users). I can control the TV and audio receiver
with one of these remotes but not any other software on the HTPC.

Something I do not understand - if these are RECEIVERS only (not
transmitters) how does the STB change it's channels?
Not sure about the Streamzap remote, but the Firefly is a RF (radio frequency) remote, this means it has longer range and does not need line of sight to work. But RF remotes cannot control the TV, audio receiver, or your STB. You can combine it with the USB-UIRT and Girder to control those other devices, but it might be too complicated to set that up.
Quote:
3) "Girder" with a USBUIRT will allow me to control the TV/Receiver/HTPC
and also allow me to control other software on the HTPC machine.
There's a huge learning curve here though. The question is - is it MY
learning curve or theirs? And I still need a remote with lots of buttons to
program right?
Girder needs some sort of infrared transmitter such as the USB-UIRT to control other devices like your TV and Receiver. The learning curve is steep if you never dealt with it before. And Girder, while it works quite well when setup right, but it has its share of problems also, at least in my experience.

Quote:
I am so confused by all this. Is there a remote FAQ somewhere?
Thanks!
SageTV has a FAQ in the main forum under SageTV Software, but I'm sure it doesn't cover the remote stuffs in depth as there are endless possibilities.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac
You also need these little optional infrared attachments called IR blasters to connect to the USB-UIRT if you want to use it as both a receiver and transmitter. They are usually sold separately from the USB-UIRT.
Just to clarify: you don't need the external emitters if you only have to control one box, it has internal emitters built-in.

Dirk
Old 11-27-2006, 04:55 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro
Don't forget the MCE Receiver with a Harmony remote. Sage support, any other device support, and with the MCE keyboard you can teach the Harmony to launch and control any other program that offers keyboard shortcuts. IR blasting to STB's isn't supported however (I believe).

P

So are you using a Harmony with the MCE Reciever that came with the keyboard?

IF that is possible I think I might have found a solution.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:52 PM
Sage Icon

The receiver comes with the MCE remote, the keyboard is alone in it's box. Yes, I use a Harmony with MCE codes to control Sage (which is the same as the keyboard). For programs like WinDVD, I use the keyboard to teach the Harmony Win DVD's keyboard shortcut commands.

P
Old 11-27-2006, 09:04 PM
SageTVaholic

FWIW the Harmony 890 is at Amazon for 255 plus 30 MIR. I ordered one for the new home theater because it also supports zwave protocol for lights. oh and it is RF, so my client machine, etc will be behind a wall.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:04 PM
Sage Expert

Some of you have mentioned the mx-500. I have one that is about 14 months old. It will learn only about 30% of the commands I've tried to teach it. Therefore it is worthless (but I paid over $100 for it).

Do any of you have this problem? Is there maybe a newer version of the mx-500 that actually works? I love the look and feel, but I have wasted countless hours trying to program it.

I have several learning remotes that learn without issues, but the mx-500 won't learn the same codes.

I'd buy a newer home theater master remote, but I would like to know it will work before spending the money on it. If I buy another one and it does not work any better, I'll go nuts.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Some of you have mentioned the mx-500. I have one that is about 14 months old. It will learn only about 30% of the commands I've tried to teach it. Therefore it is worthless (but I paid over $100 for it).

Do any of you have this problem? Is there maybe a newer version of the mx-500 that actually works? I love the look and feel, but I have wasted countless hours trying to program it.

I have several learning remotes that learn without issues, but the mx-500 won't learn the same codes.

I'd buy a newer home theater master remote, but I would like to know it will work before spending the money on it. If I buy another one and it does not work any better, I'll go nuts.
The MX-500 is a widely used (and loved) remote. If you are having problems with learning, it may be the technique you are using (distance between remotes, alignment, timing of button presses, etc.) or the remote may be defective. I don't have an MX-500, but I do have an MX-700 (computer programmable) and now a Harmony 890. I have not had any problems with learning with either remote. I have had the MX-700 for about 3 yrs and I have learned many many commands with it. Now that I have had the 890 working for a while, I am very spoiled by having the RF capability. It is amazing how nice/convenient it is to not have to point the remote at your equipment (or even be in the same room) when using it. URC also makes RF remotes (i.e. MX-800).

Aloha,
Mike
Old 02-08-2007, 07:45 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInMaui
The MX-500 is a widely used (and loved) remote. If you are having problems with learning, it may be the technique you are using (distance between remotes, alignment, timing of button presses, etc.) or the remote may be defective. I don't have an MX-500, but I do have an MX-700 (computer programmable) and now a Harmony 890. I have not had any problems with learning with either remote. I have had the MX-700 for about 3 yrs and I have learned many many commands with it. Now that I have had the 890 working for a while, I am very spoiled by having the RF capability. It is amazing how nice/convenient it is to not have to point the remote at your equipment (or even be in the same room) when using it. URC also makes RF remotes (i.e. MX-800).

Aloha,
Mike
Thanks for the feedback Mike.

It must be defective. I've tried and tried the things you suggested. I also know that I'm not the only one with problems. Others mention it in the reviews on newegg. Some have gotten around it by teaching another learning remote and then using it to teach the mx-500. It sounds crazy, but I tried it and it works for some of the commands, but there are still about a third of the commands that will not work.

I'll compare the Harmony to the MX-700 (I guess I'm assuming URC has fixxed the issue I'm having in their MX-700).

Thanks again.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:49 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Some of you have mentioned the mx-500. I have one that is about 14 months old. It will learn only about 30% of the commands I've tried to teach it.
What are the sources you are using? Are some sources less reliable than others?
Old 02-09-2007, 08:59 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchiso
What are the sources you are using? Are some sources less reliable than others?
It is the Microsoft Media Center Keyboard/remote.

The rub is that I have two other learning remotes that came with my AV recievers (neither have the LCD screen combined with the tactile buttons of the MX-500), but they can learn any of the commands on the first try. If you have any thoughts as to why the URC doesn't, I'd be interested in hearing them.

I'm beginning to think my problem is purchasing from newegg instead of an authorized dealer. I looked at the MX-700 and several of the reviewers on newegg said to beware because the MX-700 does not come with software unless you buy from an authorized dealer and URC no longer allows you to download the software from their website.

So, I looked at the URC website to find authorized dealers. For my area, they list Frys (which does list it on their website), tweeter (which does not list it on their website) and ultimate electronics (which has not been in the Dallas area for over a year).

Between the authorized dealer issue and the fact that their website is over a year out of date, I'm concluding they are idiots and are not interested in my business.

I'm going to run by Tweeters at lunch to see if they have it. I like the look and feel better than the Harmony's, but if Tweeters does not have it, I guess I'm in the market for a Harmony.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
It is the Microsoft Media Center Keyboard/remote.

The rub is that I have two other learning remotes that came with my AV recievers (neither have the LCD screen combined with the tactile buttons of the MX-500), but they can learn any of the commands on the first try. If you have any thoughts as to why the URC doesn't, I'd be interested in hearing them.
If I remember correctly, the MCE remote uses the RC6 IR protocol. If so: that is a toggle code (alternates between 2 codes each time the same button is repeatedly pressed ) and the MX-500 & MX-700 can only learn one of the codes. Since they can't learn to toggle, those types of codes don't work properly when learned. they have to be built into the remote. For the MX-700, this means downloading updates for the remote after the codes have been added to its database.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:14 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
If I remember correctly, the MCE remote uses the RC6 IR protocol. If so: that is a toggle code (alternates between 2 codes each time the same button is repeatedly pressed ) and the MX-500 & MX-700 can only learn one of the codes. Since they can't learn to toggle, those types of codes don't work properly when learned. they have to be built into the remote. For the MX-700, this means downloading updates for the remote after the codes have been added to its database.

- Andy
Good grief Andy, is there anything you don't know....

I'm not clear on what you mean by "after the codes have been added to the database". Are you meaning a database within the remote or are you meaning a database on the URC website. It sounds like your saying to teach the MX-700 the command and then download updates from the Website, but I'm not sure what your really meaning.

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:22 AM
Administrator

I just happen to use an MX-700. The MX-700 software has a feature to download firmware updates, so if they add remotes to the built-in database of remote codes, it is possible to get that update into the remote. For example: they now include the Hauppauge remotes as selectable remotes to emulate. I went through a PITA process of finding built-in codes a long time ago that would allow it to work w/the Hauppauge receiver (one of the links in my sig lines).

I have no idea how or whether you can update the MX-500 like this. There used to be 3rd party software, but I don't know if that made it possible to add RC5 or RC6 toggling codes. Usually, what you would do with the MX-500 is use it with something like the USB-UIRT & then you could have the MX-500 learn any code set that it could learn properly, or use some built-in device code. I don't know how to get it to work w/the MCE receiver... if I'm right about its RC6 code set.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:41 AM
Sage Expert

Rob:
You could try a different IR keyboard and mouse. The Lite-On models work with the MX-500 and cost about $20. Alternatively, you could buy a Fusion MCE USB remote (also around $20) and use the USB receiver with your remote. This would give you full keyboard emulation through configuration profiles.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:56 AM
Sage Expert

Thanks Andy!

Based on your feedback I called Universal Remote Control. They do have the codes for the Microsoft ZV1-0004. If I owned the MX-700 I'd be able to get it in a download. With the MX-500 they gave me an RA number and said if I'd mail it to them they would update it with the codes I need.

Now I need to correct some things I said earlier in this thread. They were extremely helpful. I asked if it mattered if I bought if from and authorized dealer and they said it did not. They also said that newegg is an authorized dealer (even though some of the people writing review on newegg said they are not an authoriaed dealer).

Thanks again!

Rob
Old 02-09-2007, 12:01 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchiso
Rob:
You could try a different IR keyboard and mouse. The Lite-On models work with the MX-500 and cost about $20. Alternatively, you could buy a Fusion MCE USB remote (also around $20) and use the USB receiver with your remote. This would give you full keyboard emulation through configuration profiles.
Thanks Jchiso. I did not see your reply before the post I just made. Now I just need to decide which way to go. Having a couple of $20 options is great.