SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 10-20-2006, 06:53 AM
Sage Fanatic

How do I get a version 6 key (upgrade)

I'm currently running Version 5 and I just loaded version 6. But I need a key for the Sagetv version or I run in trial mode. How do I get an upgrade key?

thanks

3/HD-100's, 1/HD-200
Old 10-20-2006, 07:32 AM
Sage Expert

Upgrades to version 6 are free ONLY if you actually purchased version 5. If you purchased a previous version, you need to go here to purchase an upgrade key.

The cost on the upgrade key is $29.99 until 10/31/2006, after that it will be $39.99.

See this thread for full details.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:58 PM
Sage Fanatic

I did purcchase Sagetv 5 and 2 clients back in Aug of this year. I was reading that thread, but I just can't see how to get the free upgrade keys. I must be missing it. It's a big thread.

3/HD-100's, 1/HD-200
Old 10-20-2006, 01:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to millers_35
If you originally purchased Version 5 then you won't need to get a key. Just install V6 Beta and you should be good to go.

Miller
Old 10-20-2006, 01:07 PM
Sage Fanatic

Nope. Sagetv told me I need to get a key. It's running in trial mode now. The clients didn't complain at all.

3/HD-100's, 1/HD-200
Old 10-20-2006, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdefino
Sagetv told me I need to get a key.
You contacted SageTV? Where & when exactly did you purchase your SageTV license? If it really is a v5 key, you shouldn't need any sort of upgrade key. If you actually bought a v4 license, that needs an upgrade key.

Quote:
It's running in trial mode now.
Is this a completely new installation, or did you install over your old version? If it is a new installation, did you enter your current key?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:54 PM
Sage Fanatic

I bought the keys from Pcalchemy.com

I didn't install it over the original sagetv 5. I took about ten minutes to convert the database.

I did contact sagetv and they said:

Ron,

If you have a key for Version 5 of Sage, meaning you bought it after 4-25-06 then it's a free upgrade to version 6. Your client keys will also work.

3/HD-100's, 1/HD-200

Last edited by rdefino; 10-20-2006 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I bought the keys from Pcalchemy.com
It looks like you probably received a pre-v5 style key from PCAlchemy. I recommend that you contact PCAlchemy to ask for a key you can use w/v6.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:36 PM
Sage Fanatic

Will I need to supply them with any info that I might not have, or will they know what I'm talking about?

Thanks
Ron

3/HD-100's, 1/HD-200
Old 10-20-2006, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Will I need to supply them with any info that I might not have, or will they know what I'm talking about?
Ummm.... Yes?

I don't know what info they might want from you (probably your purchase details?), but they should understand the issue.

- Andy
Old 10-20-2006, 04:42 PM
Sage User

Same thing happened to me. PCAlchemy was giving out version 4 keys even though they were selling version 5. If you contact them with your order number, they will send you a free upgrade key.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:14 AM
Sage Fanatic

Thanks for the info guys. I called them and they sent me a new key.

Thanks

3/HD-100's, 1/HD-200
Old 10-21-2006, 05:27 PM
Sage User

similar issue

I bought Sage TV v5 in July, 2006...only I bought it direct from sagetv.com. I received a license and ran v5 for the past 4 months - no problems. v6 beta release just happened to coincide with a machine/hardware upgrade for me this week, so when I got the new machine up and running, I just tried to install a clean v6 beta without installing v5 first. When I entered the license key that I received directly from sagetv.com on July 31, 2006...it did not work (invalid key). Thinking it was just a typo, I ran trial mode and configured my video source, which involves an hour of editing channels (I pick Dish Denver, seems closest to Dish Network America's Top 120 + local channels Denver)....there are many channels selected that I have to deselect. I say all of this because it is the most painful part of getting Sage installed, so I'm really hoping that the answer to my problem is not "go back and install v5 first, then install v6 beta", because that'll send me back through the video source setup again . Plus, just seems nicer to get v6 beta installed cleanly without installing v5 first.

Later I was able to copy/paste the key from the original email and again got "invalid key"...so now I know it was not a typo.

Any ideas?
Old 10-21-2006, 07:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarrett
I bought Sage TV v5 in July, 2006...only I bought it direct from sagetv.com. I received a license and ran v5 for the past 4 months - no problems. v6 beta release just happened to coincide with a machine/hardware upgrade for me this week, so when I got the new machine up and running, I just tried to install a clean v6 beta without installing v5 first. When I entered the license key that I received directly from sagetv.com on July 31, 2006...it did not work (invalid key). Thinking it was just a typo, I ran trial mode and configured my video source, which involves an hour of editing channels (I pick Dish Denver, seems closest to Dish Network America's Top 120 + local channels Denver)....there are many channels selected that I have to deselect. I say all of this because it is the most painful part of getting Sage installed, so I'm really hoping that the answer to my problem is not "go back and install v5 first, then install v6 beta", because that'll send me back through the video source setup again . Plus, just seems nicer to get v6 beta installed cleanly without installing v5 first.

Later I was able to copy/paste the key from the original email and again got "invalid key"...so now I know it was not a typo.

Any ideas?
If you must reinstall V5, you can backup all of your current settings for V6 and hopefully avoid having to go to all of the setup trouble. I haven't done that before but it seems like a possibility.

I would try:
1) Shuto down V6 and backup current V6 properties files, wiz files, etc
2) uninstall V6
3) install V5 with your current keys (don't bother with a detailed video setup)
4) upgrade to V6 don't bother with detailed setup
5) shut down V6 and copy over the backed-up files from step 1
6) fire up V6 and see if it worked

I HAVE NOT TRIED THIS and don't know if it will work, but it is what I would try if I wanted to avoid the setp hassle.

Good Luck!
Old 10-21-2006, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarrett
Are you sure you are using a SageTV (server) key for your SageTV installation? Make sure you aren't trying to use a server license for a client installation or vice-versa. Even if you had a pre-v5 key for some reason, the v6 server should accept it & then ask for the v6 upgrade license. But, since you say you have a v5 key, it should take it w/o a problem.

If the problem continues, contact SageTV support.

- Andy
Old 10-21-2006, 10:07 PM
Sage User

Since you had confidence that my key should work, I poked around some more. Seems as if the name was wrong. I often use Chris, but I suppose when I registered with Sage, I used Christopher. Didn't realize the key had the exact name encoded.

I'm up and running now. Thanks.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:06 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulinigo
Same thing happened to me. PCAlchemy was giving out version 4 keys even though they were selling version 5. If you contact them with your order number, they will send you a free upgrade key.
Just to clear things up, between 4/25/2006 and 9/18/2006 PCAlchemy was issuing what we thought were SageTV 5 Keys, but SageTV had mistakenly issued us SageTV 4 keys. SageTV has subsequently provided SageTV 5 Upgrade keys for anyone that purchased from PCAlchemy between those dates, to get one simply email sales@pcalchemy.com with your order number and state that you need a SageTV 5 Upgrade key.