SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-17-2006, 09:44 AM
Sage User

WinTV HVR-950 Support

Does SageTV support the WinTV HVR-950 USB HD OTA?

http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/produ...ta_hvr950.html

-Moat
Old 10-17-2006, 10:09 AM
Sage Aficionado

Specs say it is supported in Windows MCE so I am 99% sure the answer is yes.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

If you get one Moat, I'd love to hear your review on it.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:02 PM

New Hauppauge 950 Hybrid support

Does Sage TV Support the New Hauppauge 950 Hybrid Tv Tuner?

NTSC cable TV and ATSC high definition TV receiver for PCs or notebooks. In a small, easy to carry, "stick" package!

Watch and record cable TV or over-the-air ATSC HD TV.
Schedule your TV recordings, using the high quality MPEG-2 video recording format!
Pocket size, easy to install on USB2. The perfect traveling companion for desktop or laptops!
Includes portable antenna*.

WinTV-HVR-950 hybrid TV stick features

Watch analog cable TV or the new ATSC HD digital TV on your PC or laptop screen! ATSC HD is the over-the-air high definition TV standard for North America.

No need to open your PC: just plug into your USB 2.0 port.
Note: will not work with USB 1.1

Includes Hauppauge's WinTV2000 application to watch and record TV, in a window or full screen. If you live in an area where you can receive both digital and analog TV, you can switch between analog and digital channels automatically.

Includes WinTV-Scheduler, so you can record your favorite TV programs on a daily, weekly or once only schedule.

Digital ATSC HD TV features

ATSC over-the-air digital TV receiver built-in. Supports all ATSC formats, up to the high definition 1080i format!

Record ATSC digital TV to your PC's hard disk using high quality MPEG-2. ATSC digital TV recordings will typically consume from 1 to 5 Gb of disk space per hour, depending upon the TV broadcasters ATSC format.

Analog TV features

Analog cable TV receiver built-in. Will also work with TV antenna.

Record analog TV shows to your PC's hard disk using our SoftPVR™ MPEG-2 encoder. Analog TV recordings will typically consume 1.5 Gb of disk space per hour.

WinTV-HVR-950 brings analog cable TV and over-the-air ATSC digital TV to your PC or laptop! Watch and record TV in a window or full screen using high quality MPEG-2. Use the WinTV-Scheduler to record you favorite analog or digital TV shows. Play your TV recordings back to your screen any time.

WinTV-HVR-950 is easy to install. Just plug it into your PC or laptops’ USB 2.0 port and connect a cable TV or a TV antenna. Load the software from our installation CD and you’re ready to start watching analog or ATSC digital TV on your PC or laptop screen. WinTV-HVR-950 also includes a portable digital antenna, so you can receive digital TV while you travel!*

ATSC digital TV brings you sharper pictures and enriches your PC’s multimedia experience with near CD quality sound. WinTV-HVR-950’s ATSC digital TV receiver adds great features to your TV viewing: high definition TV reception, automatic identification of channel names plus records high-definition digital TV programs to your PC’s hard disk in an MPEG-2 format without losing quality.

You’re prepared for the future. If you live in an area where you can’t currently receive ATSC digital TV, the WinTV-HVR-950 can still be used to watch and record analog TV from cable TV or a TV antenna. But you are prepared for the future! When ATSC digital TV comes to your area, WinTV-HVR-950 will also receive the new digital TV channels.

Digital video recorder, too! Record your favorite analog or digital TV shows with one simple click. You can also use our WinTV-Scheduler to schedule your TV recordings on a daily, weekly or once only schedule.

System requirements

Minimum processor recommended:

2.2 GHz P4 or 1.8 GHz Centrino or equivalent (minimum).

2.8 GHz processor for analog TV recording with MPEG-2 (minimum).
Microsoft® Windows® XP, XP Pro or Windows XP Media Center Edition, with Service Pack 2.
Graphics with 64MB of memory (minimum).
USB 2.0 port (will not work with USB 1.1).
CD-ROM drive (for Software installation).

Included in this package
WinTV-HVR-950 USB 2.0 TV stick with cable TV or ATSC antenna connection.

USB extension cable.

Portable antenna*.
Software on CD-ROM (incl. manual).
Quick Installation Guide.

* merged *
Old 11-09-2006, 05:28 PM

questions

same old stuff I currently have windows media edition 2005
and I called Hauppauge and they told me the 950 it is not MCE certified therefor to use this product its outside the mce enviorment regular windows

thats why SageTV needs to test this and it capabilities?????

mikron
Old 11-09-2006, 06:25 PM
Sage Icon

wow, that thing is tiny. Saw it listed on Amazon for $85. It looks like the EyeTV hybrid.

if someone willing to buy it and test it with SageTV, please post your thoughts. Thanks.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:47 PM
Sage Expert

I finally got v6 beta to recognise my HVR-950 (980 after driver update) and also my Airstar HD5000-PCI card. The trial download of 5 just didn't want to talk to either of them. Its seems to like my Airstar a lot more than the HVR. The airstar picks up all my OTA HD channels and the HVR only picks up 5 of 9. The odd thing is that I got the opposite results when testing the same hardware with beyondtv. With beyondtv the HVR got all the channels and the HD5000 got 7 of 9.
I would like to choose Sage due to the much more advanced MP3 interface, Beyonds is rudimentary at best and it really not integrated into the product. But the support of the tuners is not setting well so I will probably need to go to beyond and hope they fix the Media interface. :-(

-Bill
Old 12-29-2006, 11:32 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
No more replies on this project? It sounds like the cat's meow. Buy a couple of these with SageTV and instant HTPC. No need to open up the PC.

What's the catch? Why not more discussion on this product?

How is the quality of the analog recordings compared to the new ATI 550/650 chips or Hauppauge's own PVR-150/250 cards?

Robert
Old 12-29-2006, 08:32 PM
Sage User

Got one today at comp for $99. sweet little unit. very tiny and no ac adapters! comes with an antenna but that is only rated for stations that are 10 miles or closer.

Comments:
** IT WORKS! U need to upgrade to sage tv 6

** digital tv quality is amazing compared to regular analog. However, Digital is very picky when it comes to signal. when the signal drops, it cuts the audio and video out.

** it shows up as an WinTV-HVR-980 in sage tv not WinTV-HVR-950

** I can't figure out how to use analog and digital at the same time. the wintv software scans both analog and digital and puts them all in one list. cant figure out how to make sage do this!?

** digital tv is MUCH SLOWER in changing channels than the old analog. Let me be clear: I have never had digital cable or satellite dish box to compare to. I am used to the quick analog tuner. I understand that this is normal with all digital tuners.

** This Device has no hardware encoder so make sure your pc is powerfull enough to run it

** the sage tv guide doesnt show me the descriptions for many of the digital tv for over the air broadcasts "NO DATA" and I have NO idea why?

** I have some lip sync problems when watching the news in 1080i wide screen mode. It is annoying but I can't complain considering it is FREE over the air hdtv

** If I do a scan, sage numbers the channels right. if I turn all channels on, I SEE DUPES of the channels even though they are different (for example, I had 3 channel 23's!)
it's confusing.

** it knocks my core duo mac mini CPU to 60% utilization with hdtv channel (much less with analog channels)

** I am keeping it!

Last edited by WirelessDJ; 12-29-2006 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:05 PM
Sage User

Works Great

I just picked up one to add to my PVR-150 all ready in my PC. It is for analog cable/TV or digital OTA (not both at the same time). It is an OTA digital tuner in my configuration. It can be used as a plain old cable decoder too if you plug in a cable feed just like a PVR-150 card.

Note: CPU processing on it went crazy when I plugged it into a VIA USB2 card. Moved it to the built in the motherboard one and the processing level dropped WAY down.

Installed the latest drivers and didn't mess with the CD that came with it so it sees it as a PVR-980 card.

Also using SageTV 6.0 currently.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:51 PM
Sage User

Sage Support said this card is not compatible yet it works.

If the Hauppauge software can switch between analog and digital, then Sage should be able to do this too.

can we plug in external video? I didn't get a cable to do that? Did you?
Old 12-30-2006, 05:59 PM
Sage User

Sage TV sees the tuner and configured it without any problems.

No, I didn't get the external Composite/Svideo cable either :-(
Old 12-30-2006, 06:25 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WirelessDJ
Sage Support said this card is not compatible yet it works.

If the Hauppauge software can switch between analog and digital, then Sage should be able to do this too.

can we plug in external video? I didn't get a cable to do that? Did you?
Seeing as it lacks a hardware encoder for SD, it's definitely inferior to the PVR 150/500/DualTV/etc in that regard. And Sage probably isn't too hot to support it for analog as software encoding is rather flaky and the quality is often questionable.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:55 PM
Sage User

no signal

I'm trying to get my hvr-950 to work, but I,m getting no signal. I also have a Ati HDTV wonder and that has full signal. I also have beyondtv working with full signal. Help?? would like to switch to sagetv if i can get this working.

Thanks
Old 01-25-2007, 06:37 PM
Sage Aficionado

This card works with SageTV v6. I downloaded the 980 driver from hauppage... I still need to study the quality some more. It seems ESPN channel on comcast which i suspect is HD really suck when i tune to it with the card.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:43 AM
Sage User

those of you that were able to get the hvr-950 to work, what operating system were you using? MCE, xp, vista?

I just got a new laptop with vista home premium, and would like to be able to use it with that.

thanks,

Kirk

AMD 2.8, MSI kt6v MB, 1 gig ddr ram, chaintech geforce 5700, dual WD 160 gig SATA HD, Sony dwd22a DVD burner, hauppauge PVR 250mce, Hauppauge PVR 500mce.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:46 AM
Sage User

Unhappy Vista user V6 does not recognise HVR 950 (980)

I installed sagetv ver 6 first. Then played around with it for a couple of days. Loved it! Now I want to install the 950 (win Vista recognizes it as 980). but sage keeps saying no video video capture devices available when I go to setup video sources.

1. Should I uninstall sage and then reinstall?

2. Is there a file I should modify to get it to recognize the tuner?

3. Or both?

Any suggestions (as detailed as possible please as I'm new to sage) would be very appreciated.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to mention that WinTV app recognizes it just fine, HD channels tune perfectly in WinTV.

Last edited by ONLYinHD; 06-21-2008 at 06:47 AM. Reason: add'l info
Old 06-23-2008, 08:45 PM
Sage User

Thumbs up

A pc reboot fixed the problem and it hasn't come back. Seems strange but I'm happy it works anyway.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:00 AM
Sage Expert

Question Clear QAM?

Is anyone trying this card with a cable feed (e.g. clearQAM).

I have the 950q. I'm trying out the SageTV trial to see if I want to make the switch for my HTPC software.

I have a pretty complicated setup. . . 2 DirecTV SD STBs over serial tuning- 1 of which is ATI TV Wonder Elite, the other is a Hauppauge PVR-150,
1 Fusion Gold 5 USB HD OTA, and finally 1 Haupauge 950q for Clear-QAM.

The sage website doesn't report it as a working Clear QAM tuner in windows, but Hauppauge's software works with the Clear QAM signal just fine.

I'm having trouble getting it to tune channels from the setup.
In the wizard I select Digital TV -> Cable -> Time Warner -> Scan

In the preview pane it has a "No Signal" with a -1 under the box as it scans channels.

Maybe I need to select different options? I'm not really sure which guide listing to use. . .
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT 12 Core+HT, 64GB DDR5, GeForce 1060, MSI Prestige x570 Creation Mobo, SIIG 4 port Serial PCIe Card, Win10, 1TB M.2 SSD OS HDD, 1 URay HDMI Network Encoder, 3 HD-PVR, 4 DirecTV STB serial tuned

Old 07-22-2008, 10:26 AM
Sage Expert

its just bugging me b/c the Hauppauge software works with it just fine for clear qam. It just does a clear qam channel scan and comes up with everything brilliantly. . .
one question i have is, in the setup wizard you select
Digital TV -> Cable / Satellite or Local OTA
My question is, is there away to force Clear QAM checking?
What does the setup wizard do when you have a Sage supported Clear QAM piece of hardware?
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT 12 Core+HT, 64GB DDR5, GeForce 1060, MSI Prestige x570 Creation Mobo, SIIG 4 port Serial PCIe Card, Win10, 1TB M.2 SSD OS HDD, 1 URay HDMI Network Encoder, 3 HD-PVR, 4 DirecTV STB serial tuned