SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-19-2006, 09:37 PM
Sage Aficionado

Reinstall advice

My old computer is acting up and the C: drive is relatively unstable. The solution will be to reinstall the O/S this weekend. I plan on installing to all defaults and re-adding all STVs and features as if it were a clean install. That'll give my friend a fresh start.

Now, that being said, there are a few things that concern me, the main one being historical baggage I have to carry forward. The wiz.bin file, in particular, since it is closed.

I have my installed directory as: C:\Program Files\Frey Technologies\SageTV, but understand that the "Frey" part is "SageTV" now on new installs. I also want to preserve the viewing history, but is anything historical required other than wiz.bin to keep that? ...And are there any other dependancies? Don't want to keep the .prop files but for research as they have grown unwieldly w/ v1.4-v4.x settings in there.

I figure to take everything new except the wiz.bin, with backups for comparison and ability to just adopt old stand-bys. Anyone have any other advice?
Old 09-19-2006, 10:23 PM
Sage Icon

I'd go ahead and save the wiz.bin and wiz.bin backup, and the .prop files to look into for configuration help, if need be.

Blow out the system, rebuild OS, device drivers and install Sage. Make sure that the drive letter for the Recording folder is the same as before for easiest migration. May require changing drive letter in Windows Disk Management.

Setup Sage and let it config the prop files on its own. Config the tuners and point to the correct recording folder. Then shut down Sage, and copy in the old wiz.bin (copy into the program files\SageTV\SageTV folder) and restart Sage. Should now be set with Sage having all its tuners, Favorites and viewing history. All recorded shows should be in Sage Recordings, and not as imports.

Then, go ahead and do all the imports. The idea is to do one thing at a time, so that if something breaks, you know what happened.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:18 PM
Administrator

I would save a copy of your entire SageTV installation directly, so you at least have access to all your old customizations. That is easier than trying to remember eveyr possible file you might have changed... and will include your ChannelLogos folder, if you've made use of logos.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Things to remember:

Non-import plugins (webserver, XML generator, getstatus) are started using a line in the .properties
Custom channel ordering (probably not a problem if you use Sage's EPG service) is also in the .properties.

Make sure that you keep the same directory paths for Sage Recordings (so that the references in the old wiz.bin match)
Old 09-20-2006, 05:41 PM
Sage Aficionado

Actions:
- copy entire directory structure (for archival, logos, etc. not just SageTV)
- copy all import JAR/STV files before import
- re-add all plug-in dependancies
- preserve media file path (V:\My SageTV)
- rebuild new .prop files based on old ones (ditching cayars, etc.)
- re-install old wiz.bin

(among other things like newest drivers, new chassis, etc.)

Questions:
- Which version of Java to use? no definitive answer, from read threads. Think v1.5 but not sure if it is a reason SageTV keeps crashing anyway now. Also confused on so many compatibility issues.
- Any problem dropping in old wiz.bin at last minute, once stable?

Thanks again! Ready to go, just need time.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:49 AM
Sage Aficionado

Hauppauge PVR-250 help

Had some issues on the reinstall, but none with SageTV thankfully. However, I have a pretty serious Hauppauge one. We have three PVR 250s here, and I installed them one at a time. Each card installed well with the CD that came with it. Then while trying to install the WinTV utility CD (mostly for remote control) it failed saying "ivac driver not found".

There's no practical information as to what that error is. It says to reseat the card. Did that. Removed all installs (with hcwclear.exe) and only installed one card. Same error. Removed and installed a diff card. Nope. Downloaded a new driver at SHS. Same.

Here's the funny part: the cards DO seem to be working. On a lark, I installed SageTV, and it seems to be working fine with all three tuners, after various tests. Have .prop files in some rudimentary form an the wiz.bin fit in just fine.

I'm running it overnight to see if the rest of things w/ SageTV work, but the remote control seems important to fix before I proceed too much further. Any advice greatly appreciated. Time for me to get some sleep. Thanks!
Old 09-24-2006, 05:59 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonGal
There's no practical information as to what that error is. It says to reseat the card. Did that. Removed all installs (with hcwclear.exe) and only installed one card. Same error. Removed and installed a diff card. Nope. Downloaded a new driver at SHS. Same.
If you do a google search there is a good bit of information. One of the first results I checked said sometimes dx9.0c had to be reinstalled to get the problem to go away and there were some other possible solutions offered as well.