SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-15-2006, 10:01 AM
Sage User

Send a message via AIM to iceman Send a message via Yahoo to iceman
Network Encoded Files Split

I currently have SageTV 5.0.4 Server installed on two machines. The 1st machine is my main HTPC in my family room with a PVR500 card and a PVR350 card installed. My 2nd machine is upstairs and has two Avermedia A180 HD cards installed in it. I have network encoding on my 2nd machine and network discovey setup on my 1st. Everyhting works fine with the execption that when I record from my A180 cards across the network, the files being recorded on my HTPC #1 in my family room are being broken up into 512MB size files.

Is there a parm in SageTV which governs this or this something else causing this? One thing I will mention is that the replaying of the entire recorded program works fine with the exception that when the program gets to the end of one of the 512MB files and crosses over to the next 512MB file that there's a stuttering which occurs. Other than that it seems fine.

Anyones help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-21-2006, 08:23 PM
Sage User

Does anyone out there have any idea why my network encoded files are being split up into 512MB?

Help!!!
Old 09-22-2006, 05:23 AM
SageTVaholic

So you are trying to record HD across your network to another machine? Why not try recording them to the local machine? It would seem your network card/connection is not up to the task. Doulble check the settings, speed and the duplex. See if setting it manually instead of auto deos any better. If you're recording HD acroos the netowrk you should probabaly be on gigbit ethernet. I'm guessing because I don't currently record HD.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

A year or two ago I ran into a similar problem when I had 4-5 tuners recording at once with three of them being network encoders. I think my problem had something to do with my crappy RAID performance. I have since moved 2 of the tuners to the other machine and upgraded my network to gigabit and don't have that problem.

Dennis
Old 09-22-2006, 11:59 PM
Sage Aficionado

I would agree with the recommendation for Gb. I have 2-HD and 4-SD tuners that all record over the network. (usually 2 HD and 1-2 SD at a time) with no problems to a RAID3 array.

Last edited by jlabrue; 09-25-2006 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:19 PM
Sage User

First of all thanks to everyone's suggestions with my issue here. Secondly I would like to say that all of my recordings are in fact being recorded locally on my main PC. I'm just using the HD cards as network encoders. This problem of breaking the files up happens infrequently but it does happen and I can't seem to pinpoint the exact circimstances creating it.

I have only 10/100 wired in my house and I tried recording HD across my network to a D-LINK DSM-G600 medialounge NAS but found that either my network speed was to slow or the device itself wasn't writing fast enough. I have a Seagate 300GB 7200 RPM HD internally inside. It does have a GB interface on it howvever I'll have to convert the rest of my lan to GB before I can use this. The reading or shoudl I say the playback of any HD recordings or ripped DVD's on my NAS unit play back as smooth as silk with no hesitations at all.

Can anyone think of a way to speed up the recording process with the hardware I currently have? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Gerry
Old 09-25-2006, 09:50 PM
Sage User

As long as you have Cat5e for your wiring you can use Gig-e with a switch like the Netgear GS108. You don't need to rewire with Cat6 or anything.