SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Linux Discussion related to the SageTV Media Center for Linux. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Linux should be posted here.

Old 09-12-2006, 01:46 PM
Sage User

Registering client licenses / Extenders not connecting

Okay, I hate to be a pain. I am trying to find out how to register more client licenses on a linux SageTV Server, version 5. Per the manual (Appendix M, pg 255):

Quote:
Registering Media Extender Licenses

In order to use a SageTV Media Extender past the trial usage period, a license key must be entered on the SageTV server for each extender to be used simultaneously. To enter your license, on your SageTV server system, go to the Windows Start button, then select ALL Programs > SageTV > SageTV Media Extender License. Enter your license in the dialog that appears.

Note: It is recommended that you exit SageTV on the server computer before entering a Media Extender license. (If using service mode, stop the service.)
Okay, that's all fine and well, but I am running Linux.
I have version 5 installed on a base install of Gentoo. I also purchased two more client licenses. So I believe this should allow me to run up to three extenders/PC clients simultaneously right?

While I was in there I double checked these settings:

Quote:
Enable the Media Extender Server

To enable your SageTV server to act as a Media Extender Server, enable the SageTV Server option in the Detailed Setup: Advanced Settings menu and make sure the Media Extender and Place Shifting Server is also enabled on that screen.
These settings are correct.

Now this brings me to my other problem. I bought two Wireless MVP's from Sage a couple weeks ago. And I installed one using wireless. Once I set up the wireless security settings for the MVP I could detect the media server no problem. I press GO! to connect at the end of the MVP config utility and everything looks like it's working. Then after several seconds I get a black screen with the SageTV logo. This stays on for a fraction of a second, then the picture goes completely black. This symptom will cycle again after several seconds. SageTV logo for 1/4 sec, black for several. I could just leave it on and it would do this all day.

My immediate thought was licensing. So my coworker and I loaded the Sage client on a windows box. It worked just fine. So then I decided perhaps even though the wireless notebook played the client just fine perhaps it was still a wireless problem. So I plugged the MVP into the network. Still no go. And not only that but the network seemed even more slow than wireless. (Though I think that's a different problem entirely, so I'm not worried about that at the moment.)

I don't think it's licensing, but then again it could be that the PC client licenses differ from the extender licenses? I don't know. That's why I am posting here.

Anybody have any ideas?
Old 09-13-2006, 01:53 PM

Send a message via ICQ to _Demo_
Could you try to replace the mvp.bin in /opt/sagetv/server/ with the one at http://download.sagetv.com/~jeanfrancois/mvp.bin

Let me know if you need more details on how to do this.

Thanks

_Demo_
Old 09-13-2006, 05:36 PM
Sage User

_Demo_,

That file does the trick. It's funny, I stumbled upon this thread: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...clients+folder

Right about the time you posted in this thread. This was after having abondoned the Linux version. I bit the bullet and purchased the Windows version of Sage and installed only to find I had the exact same problem. Right now I'm not a very happy camper, but I do appreciate your help in this matter.