SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 09-10-2006, 03:59 AM
Sage User

MediaMVP Rev 2.05 do not connect to SageTV 5.04

Hi,

I have two MVPs: one Rev 1.0 and on Rev 2.05.

The first works fine as a media extender with SageTV.

The second new one won't connect. I see the server but when I select it and hits OK I get some error saying it could not save.

It is not a license or firewall issue. I have also tried the second unit with Hauppauge's own software and it works perfect.

I use SageTV 5.04. Both units are wired.

I suppose it is a compatibility issue and a future beta of SageTV will solve this.

thanks,

Mats
Old 09-10-2006, 02:50 PM
Sage User

Send a message via AIM to 2002cbr600f4i Send a message via Yahoo to 2002cbr600f4i
Same problem....

I've got the same problem. I have an older Model 36001 Rev D3A that has worked fine with media extender. Last week I ordered a second unit from Newegg and it's a Model 86019 Rev H3. That one refuses to see SageTV when it's looking for a server.

I'm at my whits' end with this. Is there any way to get this new unit to work???

Also, it's strange, the new unit has an additional RCA jack on the back colored black that sticks out farther than the other 2. There's nothing in the instruction manual that came with the unit that indicates what that's for. Also, the sticker on the bottom of the unit has 2 MAC addresses: 1 for wired, 1 for wireless, but I didn't order a wireless unit, so I'm a bit confused.

Anyone have a clue??

--Mike
Old 09-10-2006, 06:07 PM
SageTVaholic

If it's brand new it is both wired and wireless. I believe the additional jack is spdif out. When booting up the MVP hace you hit the enter key on the remote to get into the setup of the MVP and configured it for wired connection?

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:18 PM
Sage User

Send a message via AIM to 2002cbr600f4i Send a message via Yahoo to 2002cbr600f4i
I would suspect you're right about the SPDIF out...

Ok, interesting that now they have both wired+wireless in the units.

When I power on the MVP, it does it's initialization, then it says "configuring for Wired" then "connecting" then "Checking network" and then it comes up with a screen where it says "No streaming server found. Press OK to rescan" IF I hit OK, it checks again and then pops the message back up. I can't get it to do anything else.

I can't get into any sort of config menu or anything like that.

The network jack that I'm hooking into works fine with other machines, so it's not the jack nor the cable (tried several). My other PC's and my other MVP are able to run the Placeshifter/Media Extender no problem. I only am trying to run 1 at a time. I'm stumped.

I'm getting pretty annoyed!

Also, I'm running java 1.4.2_04 and Sage V 5.0.4.92 according to the System Information screen.

--Mike

Last edited by 2002cbr600f4i; 09-10-2006 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Mike,

That unit sounds like the version that was halfway to wireless, it's basically a wireless unit without the radio. Hauppauge release some of these when the old wired units ran out of stock and they were ironing the bugs out of the new wireless unit.

Try unplugging the unit for about 10 minutes and then when you power it up look for the prompt asking you to press OK to enter setup. When you are in the setup screens make sure it is all configured properly. Even if it looks like it is setup properly make some changes (changing back to the "right" parameter if necessary) and then save the configuration. I do not know why, but sometime re-saving fixes things up.

If that does not work try installing the Hauppauge software on a machine on your network, unplugging the MVP, and then restarting everyhting again with Sage turned off. I suspect when the MVP connects to the Hauppauge software it will do a firmware upgrade. When that is all done, uninstall the Hauppauge software, restart Sage and restart the MVP.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:31 AM
SageTVaholic

I just bought one of the units from NewEgg too. Same revision. I fired it up, selected my server and it worked OOTB. Are you running firewall on your server? Turn it off and see if you connect. Turn it back on with logging, and see what is being rejected.

B
Old 09-11-2006, 07:33 PM
Sage User

Ok, I took your advice. Downloaded the newest version of the Hauppauge software. Turned off the SageTV service + software. Installed the Hauppauge stuff and ran it. New unit did a search and found it. Looks like it did an update of the firmware. It came up ok with the default hauppauge stuff.

Shut that one off, turned on my original Rev 1.0 unit and let that one update and it did so as well.

Shut it off. Shut down the default Hauppauge server software + services. Fire SageTV back up + services. Turn on EITHER of the MVP units now, and they just sit there spinning on the "Connecting to Server" screen..... I've had this happen before with some versions of the Hauppauge firmware and the only way I've been able to fix it is by using another version of the MVP software. So I installed the version that came on the CD with the new unit, let it install on both MVP units, shut down the Hauppauge software and set the services not to autostart. Did a reboot of the server machine and it FINALLY started working on both MVP units. AWESOME!

Thanks guys for the help...

--Mike
Old 09-12-2006, 05:52 AM
Sage Icon

Finally got moved into the new house this weekend. Have a rev2.04(?) MVP that worked great at the old location. Hooked it up at the new place and it failed to find a streaming server. I ended up running the MVP s/w and after it found that it could then connect to Sage. Never had to run the factory s/w at the old locale. just my $0.002

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:02 PM
Sage User

still not connecting my Rev 2.05

I have tried again many times to

1. stop SageTV.
2. install MediaMVP software from Hauppauge. I have tried the lateset v3.2, an older v3.1 on the CD and a really old v2.5.
3. reboot
4. both my MVP Rev 1.0 and Rev 2.05 works perfectly
5. unplug them
6. reboot
7. start SageTV
8. The MVP Rev1.0 works great with SageTV
9. The MVP Rev 2.05 seldom gets a X at the SageTV server. Almost always a O even if only one server. I have tried two servers and then the other MVP server works great. One or two times I succeed to select a X at the SageTV server and then I hit OK and get some error message about saving the settings. When the MVP then reboots it complains about not finding a preferred network and then I am stuck in the dialog again!!

The firewall was disabled all the time.

Any idea someone?

/Mats
Old 09-12-2006, 12:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Mats,

Are you trying to use the MVP wirelessly or wired? It sounds like you have it setup to look for a wireless network but you have a network cable plugged in, or vice versa.

On one of the setup screens you tell the MVP to use either wireless or wired connection. Make sure that is set correctly.

Tom

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:20 PM
Sage User

Tom,

It is only wired. I see no option to select wireless anywhere. However, it has two MAC addresses on the bottom but only a wired port. I assume the wireless card is removed as stated in other posts here. It works perfect with Hauppauges MVP software. I see only one setup screen.

/Mats
Old 09-12-2006, 12:44 PM
SageTVaholic

If it has 2 MAC addresses then I would think you have 2 physical network-wired and wireless. When the MVP first boots you should see a screen that says Hit enter to go to setup or something like that. You only have 3 seconds or so to do that. It also looks like in a few posts above installing the new MVP software should also get it to do a firmware update on it. Did that happen with yours?

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:22 PM
Sage User

I bought it as a wired only device and it says on the screen "configuring wired device".

I manage to enter the setup in 3 s and but if I select the SageTV server it will never succeed. The other Hauppauge MVP server works fine.

I do not know if it upgrades som firmware. Rev 1.0 / 2.05 is never changed. The setup screen shows 1.1.38 on both MVP units. I do not think the firmware is ever updated, only the Linux software.

I think it is a problem with SageTV not communicating correctly. Maybe MVP Rev 2.05 tries to connect and time outs too early? I ran SageTV on a fast dual core 3GHz+ Windows XP Home computer.

I will certainly try the next SageTV beta when it is available!

/Mats
Old 09-12-2006, 05:48 PM
Sage Fanatic

asso,

Do you have the Hauppauge server installed along with Sage on the same machine at the same time? If so, you MUST completely remove the Hauppauge software prior to it working with Sage. Sage uses NONE of the Hauppauge software in order to stream to the MVP.

-PGPfan
Sage Server: Gigabyte 690AMD m-ATX, Athlon II X4 620 Propus, 3.0 GB ram, (1) VistaView dual analog PCI-e tuner, (2) Avermedia Purity 3D MCE 250's, (1) HD-Homerun, 1.5 TB of hard drives in a Windows Home Server drive pool, Western Digital 300GB 'scratch' disk outside the pool, Gigabit LAN
Sage Clients: MSI DIVA m-ATX, 5.1 channel 100w/channel amplifier card, 2 GB ram, , (1) Hauppauge MVP, (1) SageTV HD-100 Media Storage: unRAID 3.6TB server
Old 09-12-2006, 10:09 PM
Sage User

The Hauppauge server software is on a different machine. The computer having SageTV has been tested with and without the Hauppauge software. I have tested with the other computer on and off, with or without Hauppauge software.

I have tested everything!

/Mats
Old 09-13-2006, 06:59 AM
SageTVaholic

Mats,

You said in your first post that it is not a firewall issue. Do you not have a firewall or did you open the ports needed by the MVP? If you are using MAC addresses to allow/disallow remember that the MVP actually changes it's MAC address from that listed on the unit.

Make sure the firewall is completely off and you allow all MAC addresses to connect.

I'm not sure what else to suggest assuming you have:
- Updated the MVP firmware.
- Uninstalled the Hauppauge software.
- Made sure the MVP is configured properly.
- Opened up the firewall and sisabled all MAC authentication.
- Properly input the extender license into Sage.
- Enabled the media extender in Sage.

Old 09-13-2006, 01:26 PM
Sage User

I have tried everything but re-installing SageTV. The windows firewall is disabled. I have two MVP licenses. The older Rev 1.0 MVP works great.

I am sure it is a compatibility issue. In another thread it was stated that a 4.X version did not work with Rev 2.05 MVP so I guess the problem is not solved.

Thanks anyway for all suggestions but I am stuck with this problem.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:13 PM
Sage User

Today I received two wired MVP units both 2.05 and have tested them both. I have the same issues as asso. Neither work with Sage 5.0.4 but both work with the standard Hauppauge software. Opening the MVP shows that they are wireless capable but do not have the wireless module installed. When the boot up they show configuring wired connection as described above (no mention of wireless and no option to choose the connection type).

Should I also assume I am stuck with two units which cannot work with Sage until some new version fixes this issue?
Old 09-17-2006, 11:24 AM
Sage Icon

Angry AAArrrrrrggggghhhhhh

This one bit me again. The MVP locked up while in standby overnight and I had to unplug it. I'll try the 10min method and see what happens.

Edit:

I reinstalled the Hauppauge server (latest beta) software and the MVP sees it just fine. Disabled that and restarted Sage. Unplugged the MVP and plugged it back in. Got the long-boot sequence; then for 1sec it flashes this screen about how it's connected to the last saved WIRELESS access point and couldn't find a server and that I should check my wireless network settings. OK, I'm a little perturbed by this to say the least since it has been working all week w/o issue. It takes me to the settings(?) screen to select a server but none show up unless I have the MVP server started. I'm using the same server box at this house that I was using at my old residence and that worked OOTB w/ Sage. One other thing, my 10/100 switch shows the link to the MVP is non full-duplex.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.

Last edited by hemicuda; 09-17-2006 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemicuda
I reinstalled the Hauppauge server (latest beta) software and the MVP sees it just fine. Disabled that and restarted Sage. Unplugged the MVP and plugged it back in. Got the long-boot sequence; then for 1sec it flashes this screen about how it's connected to the last saved WIRELESS access point and couldn't find a server and that I should check my wireless network settings. OK, I'm a little perturbed by this to say the least since it has been working all week w/o issue. It takes me to the settings(?) screen to select a server but none show up unless I have the MVP server started. I'm using the same server box at this house that I was using at my old residence and that worked OOTB w/ Sage. One other thing, my 10/100 switch shows the link to the MVP is non full-duplex.
I've been fighting this ever since I tried to install my new MVP (admittedly several months after buying it). I finally got an RMA from hauppauge - now I just need to ship it to them.