SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-03-2006, 07:02 AM
Sage Fanatic

Does Sagetv run on Windows 2003 server

I'm in a bind. I just add drive space to my raid to bring it up too 2.2TB. I forgot Xp32bit can't support it. So now I need to load an OS that see it. Any help on getting Sagetv, Fusion USB glod 5, Nvidia Dual Tuner, Fusion PCi based 5lite working with 2003 would be great. If anyone has any info at all, please share or point me to it.

thanks

I'll keep searching also
Old 09-03-2006, 08:44 AM
SageTVaholic

My Sage server runs on 2003 server. Didn't do anything special to make it work.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:05 AM
Sage Fanatic

Is there any limitations between 2003 and XP
Old 09-03-2006, 12:22 PM
Sage Fanatic

The only issue you may run into is if you try to playback on 2k3 server. I actually run my server on 2k3 and haven't had any issues, though I don't do playback on that system. Not that playback won't work because I'm sure it will, it's just that multimedia graphics drivers and mpeg2 decoders aren't really with 2k3 in mind.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:03 PM
Sage Aficionado

XP drivers usually install fine under W2k3. Most servers have really crappy onboard video that probably can't handle STV's frontend with all the bells and whistles enabled.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:13 PM
Sage Icon

My SageTV server is running on Windows Server 2003 also. All the hauppauge drivers for WinXP works well in the Win2003 also. I have no idea about Fusion cards, whether they support Win2003 or not. Check your hardware, and make sure everything work in Win2003 (Raid driver, audio, ethernet, video, etc). I had problems with certain Sata controller card driver not working in Win2003 before.

I was unaware that XP has a terabyte limit on a Raid volume, what is the limitation? The reason I use Win2003 is because of the 10 network connection limitation on WinXP. There were a few times I ran into this problem, believe it or not, where the 11th machine can't connect to the XP server machine. And I was told that this is hard coded into XP and can't be change.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:46 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac
I was unaware that XP has a terabyte limit on a Raid volume, what is the limitation?
Good point, NTFS supports 16 Terabyte files and 256 Terabyte volumes. I think you'll have to use larger clusters than the default 512byte, but you really want to use 64k clusters on media drives anyway.

Quote:
Supports large volumes

Using the default cluster size (4 KB) for large volumes, you can create an NTFS volume up to 16 terabytes. You can create NTFS volumes up to 256 terabytes using the maximum cluster size of 64 KB. NTFS also supports larger files and more files per volume than FAT.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...c13621675.mspx
Old 09-03-2006, 11:58 PM
Sage Expert

here runs sagetv on my 2003 server without problems
Server - Lenovo K320 with WindowsHomeServer2011, 10 Terabyte HD's on stablebit drivepool, (1 x DuoFlex CT Octopus PCIe DVB-C 4 Tuner all with LM-DVB-SmartRecorder, dbox2, run SageTV as Service, DeskNow Mail and Collaboration server, 2 Terabyte NAS (Ximeta) as seconf backup, 1Gb/s MSI ePower HD Network, 3xHD100, 1xHD200, 1xHD300, Panasonic LCD 55" TV, Sharp LCD TV, JVC LCD TV, Touchscreen LCD, PlaceShifter
cu at http://www.dbuschek.de
Old 09-04-2006, 01:44 AM
Sage Fanatic

This thread was good timing as I'm about to move sage from its pc to my 2003 web server to free up a pc to lend my brother.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:31 AM
Sage Fanatic

I got the drivers and Sagetv loaded. But I'm unable to play back on the system. Which isn't a show stopper, because I use it just as a server and to do recordings. What's odd though is that I have loaded the same deocder and sagetv is setup the same way as when XP was loaded on the system, and XP played back just fine.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:56 AM
Sage Fanatic

When I do switch from XP to 2003 server. Is it possible to just copy the Sagetv folder from programs file over to the 2003 server? I will install SageTV on the 2003 first then copy the folder to bring all my setting and scheduled shows. Would this work?
Old 09-05-2006, 08:43 AM
SageTVaholic

Should work, just make sure the paths match (ie recordings and such are in the same path).
Old 09-05-2006, 09:22 AM
Sage Fanatic

Thanks
Old 09-05-2006, 05:09 PM
Sage Icon

by default, Win2003 disable a lot of features that are in XP. Things like audio won't work by default. And a lot of services are disabled also. I don't think Win2003 even comes with DirectX 9c. If you google "convert Windows 2003 to a workstation", I'm sure you can find links on how to enable the multimedia stuffs in win2003.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:36 AM
Sage Aficionado

I don't want to digress too much, but what about Windows 2000? I am building an HTPC to run a two-tuner SageTV setup, and I would like it to be as stable as possible. Does anyone have any comments concerning using Windows 2000 versus Windows XP Pro?

Thanks!

HTPC: AMD ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 Motherboard; Athlon 64 3200+ Orleans 2.0GHz; 2GB RAM; eVGA 256MB Geforce 7300LE; 1x40GB IDE HDD (OS), 2xSeagate Barracuda 320GB SATA HDD (Recordings); Antec Overture II Case; Windows XP Pro SP2; SageTV v6.5
STV: SageMC
Video sources: Currently, none. I'm using SageTV for Music, Photos, and Video playback.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:03 AM
SageTVaholic

Some hardware (like the 150/500 IIRC) won't work in 2000. XP is not inherently unstable I never restart my XP HTPC due to instability.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:40 AM
Sage User

Send a message via AIM to aclarke Send a message via MSN to aclarke Send a message via Yahoo to aclarke
DirectX

The main problem I had with using Windows 2003 is that DirectX is not enabled by default. It is, however, in there. You just have to enable it. The program dxdiag will do it, so google that if you need further help.

I just uninstalled Windows 2003 and put XP back on. I tried 2003 because I can't use Remote Desktop with one user while another user's logged onto the console, although there's a hack out there that lets me do that. Now I'm happy. I just think it's incredibly lame of Microsoft to not offer any version of Windows that has directx enabled AND allows multiple simultaneous logins. But that's Microsoft for you.

There were enough stupid little issues with 2003, with programs not letting me run because I'm running a "server" OS and they want me to pay 3X as much for the same program as a result, or software telling me it can't run when it can, etc. that I am happy it's off my system. That and I had a legal XP Pro license gathering dust and was using the 180 day trial of 2003. Good riddance in my opinion.

- Andrew.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:41 AM
Sage User

Send a message via AIM to aclarke Send a message via MSN to aclarke Send a message via Yahoo to aclarke
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarr
I don't want to digress too much, but what about Windows 2000? I am building an HTPC to run a two-tuner SageTV setup, and I would like it to be as stable as possible. Does anyone have any comments concerning using Windows 2000 versus Windows XP Pro?

Thanks!
I wish I could be more specific help, but I tried Win2kAS before 2003, and there were various reasons why it just didn't work. My setup is an Hauppauge PVR-250 and an MSI GeForce4 video out.

- Andrew.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:45 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclarke
I wish I could be more specific help, but I tried Win2kAS before 2003, and there were various reasons why it just didn't work. My setup is an Hauppauge PVR-250 and an MSI GeForce4 video out.

- Andrew.
Hey, no problem! I'm likely going to use Windows XP Pro. It has been VERY stable for me on many machines, and administration is a snap for me. The only issue I have had so far was doing a Remote Desktop when I have the nVidia display set to TV, and I just get a black screen. I end up using VNC, and it works well.

HTPC: AMD ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 Motherboard; Athlon 64 3200+ Orleans 2.0GHz; 2GB RAM; eVGA 256MB Geforce 7300LE; 1x40GB IDE HDD (OS), 2xSeagate Barracuda 320GB SATA HDD (Recordings); Antec Overture II Case; Windows XP Pro SP2; SageTV v6.5
STV: SageMC
Video sources: Currently, none. I'm using SageTV for Music, Photos, and Video playback.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:54 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarr
Hey, no problem! I'm likely going to use Windows XP Pro. It has been VERY stable for me on many machines, and administration is a snap for me. The only issue I have had so far was doing a Remote Desktop when I have the nVidia display set to TV, and I just get a black screen. I end up using VNC, and it works well.
Hey. This may not solve your problem, but check out http://sig9.com/articles/concurrent-remote-desktop . That was the magic pill for me.

My NVidia-based card works fine with XP Pro and the TV-out. I just plugged in my TV and turned it on and didn't have to change any settings in the video display. If you then use the hack above, you can leave your "TV" user logged in on the console and log in with another user remotely. I have a specific user set up just for TV and that way I can give that the rights I want, and then use my personal login from Remote Desktop to do any work I need to do on the system.

Ooooh yeah, I remember another problem I had with Windows 2003. The latest NVidia drivers as of June or so don't work in 2003. You have to go back a version or two. That caused me a lot of head scratching.