SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 09-08-2006, 08:32 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix
If I'm understanding what you want correctly then SageMC has had it since Version 6.7. It should be possible to copy the code as an import to the default STV. Would take a few additions to get it to only record from the first press of the Record command but that shouldn't be too hard either. Guess I have to retract this statement not easy to delete the prior video before resuming recording but can at least stop the recording early with the SageMC code.
Hey Bob,

If I understand what you are saying is that it would be hard to delete everything that had previously been recorded while watching something to only record what occurs between presses of the record button. I think if that is the case it would be similar to what Tivo does. I guess I should clarify the Tivo functionality a little better. When you hit record it will capture everything you have been watching on that particular channel until you hit record a second tiime.

Example: If I change to channel 10 and watch for 10 minutes and decide I want to keep it. It would keep the 10 minutes I already watched and record until either the show is over or I hit record a second time. Once you tune a channel it starts the recording. Hitting the record button does not delete what you have been watching/rec up to that point. It includes it into the total recording. Clear as mud?

I don't use SageMC (probably in the minority) and was unaware of that piece being there. If there is code that could be migrated that would be a welcome addition to us "old school" default STV users.

Last edited by jlabrue; 09-08-2006 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:11 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade
Is this even possible or is it a hardware limitation? The capture cards encode the show into mpeg2, how could a single encoder be encoding 2 shows at once for the period of time the shows overlap?
It may be a hardware limitation, but I think you have mis-described it. The limitation would be writing from the encoder to TWO files at the same time. If I pad 2 mins on the end of the first show and 2 min on the beginning of the subsequent show, I would not be encoding 2 different things, only writing to two different files.

............................................Show 1.........Show 2
broadcast on same channel +++++++++++*************
File 1 w/ 2 min pad on end..+++++++++++**
File 2 w/ 2 min pad on beg..................++*************
overlap to be written to both files........++**

edit Well that didn't work as well as I wanted... How do you force spaces into the post?

edit That's better, but there should be an easier way

Last edited by briands; 09-08-2006 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:20 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabrue
Example: If I change to channel 10 and watch for 10 minutes and decide I want to keep it. It would keep the 10 minutes I already watched and record until either the show is over or I hit record a second time.
Sage sort of already does this. Canceling the recordings leaves you with a partial recording, which Sage can't differentiate from other partials. You have to turn off the auto deletion of live TV files and I believe there is an import that lets you view all of the partial recordings. I've never used it, but I would assume you'd have loads of partial recordings from regular TV viewing.

It has been discussed at length numerous times and I believe the problem is Sage records everything you watch and can't distinguish between a partial recording you wish to keep and ones you don't. I'm sure there is a way it coud be done, but I'd guess it would be more complicated for Sage than for TiVo because it doesn't use a buffer. TiVo can assume anything recorded to the hard drive is something you want to keep. With Sage all of your live TV viewing gets recorded and Sage has to clean up the partial files at some point.

Seems like there would need to be a way to mark the partials sort of like the archive feature that would stop Sage from auto deleting certain partials.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:22 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Example: If I change to channel 10 and watch for 10 minutes and decide I want to keep it. It would keep the 10 minutes I already watched and record until either the show is over or I hit record a second time. Once you tune a channel it starts the recording. Hitting the record button does not delete what you have been watching/rec up to that point. It includes it into the total recording. Clear as mud?
Ah ok, didn't know that. This is exactly what is implemented in SageMC ...

Dirk
Old 09-08-2006, 09:25 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Seems like there would need to be a way to mark the partials sort of like the archive feature that would stop Sage from auto deleting certain partials.
The way it is implemented in SageMC is not to cancel the recording, but to adjust the StopTime accordingly ...

Dirk
Old 09-08-2006, 09:25 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by briands
It may be a hardware limitation, but I think you have mis-described it. The limitation would be writing from the encoder to TWO files at the same time. If I pad 2 mins on the end of the first show and 2 min on the beginning of the subsequent show, I would not be encoding 2 different things, only writing to two different files.

Show 1 +++++++++++ Show 2 **********
broadcast on same channel +++++++++++*************
File 1 w/ 2 min pad on end +++++++++++**
File 2 w/ 2 min pad on beggining starts ++*************
overlap to be written to both files is only ++**

Well that didn't work as well as I wanted... How do you force spaces into the post?
That's what I was thinking, I just described it wrong.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:26 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Sage sort of already does this. Canceling the recordings leaves you with a partial recording, which Sage can't differentiate from other partials. You have to turn off the auto deletion of live TV files and I believe there is an import that lets you view all of the partial recordings. I've never used it, but I would assume you'd have loads of partial recordings from regular TV viewing.

It has been discussed at length numerous times and I believe the problem is Sage records everything you watch and can't distinguish between a partial recording you wish to keep and ones you don't. I'm sure there is a way it coud be done, but I'd guess it would be more complicated for Sage than for TiVo because it doesn't use a buffer. TiVo can assume anything recorded to the hard drive is something you want to keep. With Sage all of your live TV viewing gets recorded and Sage has to clean up the partial files at some point.

Yeah, the piling up of partial recordings is what I would like to avoid. Once I change the channel I'm ok with deleting the partial at that point. I just hate keeping a partial of every single channel I view and having to maintain that.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by flachbar
Ah ok, didn't know that. This is exactly what is implemented in SageMC ...

Dirk
I'm glad you were able to understand all that babbling
Old 09-08-2006, 01:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yeah, the piling up of partial recordings is what I would like to avoid. Once I change the channel I'm ok with deleting the partial at that point. I just hate keeping a partial of every single channel I view and having to maintain that.
It looks like SageMC will do exactly what you're wanting it to.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by flachbar
The way it is implemented in SageMC is not to cancel the recording, but to adjust the StopTime accordingly ...

Dirk
Cool

Does it do that with all canceled recordings or only those you choose to save? Also is it possible to create an import that could be used with the default stv? I don't care for the feature, but it seems quite a few people would like to have it.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc
I hope the mans mind has priority over the womans!
Also I hope this will be safe from interactions from cats and dogs. I don't want to be stuck watching Animal Planet :P
Old 09-08-2006, 02:29 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Cool

Does it do that with all canceled recordings or only those you choose to save?
You'll get a dialog which asks you if you want to save the partial recording or not ...

Quote:
Also is it possible to create an import that could be used with the default stv? I don't care for the feature, but it seems quite a few people would like to have it.
Shouldn't be too hard. I don't have any motivation for this , but anyone up to the task feel free to rip this code into an import

Dirk
Old 09-08-2006, 02:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Hey Bob,

If I understand what you are saying is that it would be hard to delete everything that had previously been recorded while watching something to only record what occurs between presses of the record button. I think if that is the case it would be similar to what Tivo does. I guess I should clarify the Tivo functionality a little better. When you hit record it will capture everything you have been watching on that particular channel until you hit record a second tiime.

I don't use SageMC (probably in the minority) and was unaware of that piece being there. If there is code that could be migrated that would be a welcome addition to us "old school" default STV users.
OK I understand now. Import to set stop time to current time on second press of Record should be easy but will take awhile. Busy at work right at the moment but maybe some time in the next week or two I can implement something.

BobP.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:00 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj
oh yah, overlapping padding on back-to-back same-channel recordings would be nice, and has been requested in the past.
Yes it has. I requested it back at about SageTV 2.1 and I wasn't the first. At the time that I asked for it I was told it was a hardware driver limitation. I was told at that time (if my memory isn't going bad anyway) that SageTV just tells the driver what channel to record, the bit rate to record at and the file name and path to record to. After that SageTV doesn't really do a lot in the recording process - or so I believe it is anyway. This would then require driver changes to accomodate writing the same output to two different files. They would also have to be recorded at the same bit rate and the same channel or input.

That was my take on what I was informed back at about SageTV 2.1 anyway.

BobP.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:10 PM
Sage Expert

Features I want:

Built in MP4 playback, i had random issues with ffdshow the other day.

Split screen, and/or dual monitor support. From two diff tuners I mean.

Thats all I can really think of. Not Sage's fault that Dish/directv dont support DVB.

PS One issues that cropped up yesterday. I was recording a football game, and I set Sage to record an extra hour or so. No problem there it kept recording. But when the game was over I wanted to STOP the recording, I didnt really want the post game show. I canceled it, and that deleted the whole file D:

Last edited by lobosrul; 09-11-2006 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:37 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
PS One issues that cropped up yesterday. I was recording a football game, and I set Sage to record an extra hour or so. No problem there it kept recording. But when the game was over I wanted to STOP the recording, I didnt really want the post game show. I canceled it, and that deleted the whole file D:
You have to go into the recording options and modify stop time.
But I agree that when you press Cancel recording it should ask if you want to delete recording or just stop the recording and keep what you recorded so far...
Quote:
Built in MP4 playback, i had random issues with ffdshow the other day.
I was told a while back that it would. Although I haven't heard anything about it in a while
Old 09-11-2006, 03:44 PM
Sage Icon

I hate that. Ive always wanted an option to "stop recording, but save file".

thought it was just me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul

My sage rigs:
Server - Windows 2003, Intel 865 PERLL w/ P4 3.2g 1gb ram, 3-PVR250, 3-PVRUSB's, 1 Skystar2, 1 twinhan 102g, 1 starbox DVB-S Cards. Evo network QAM encoder. 1.2TB storage 6.x server + MTSAGE for DVB
Client 1/Master BR - MediaMVP running a 30" Olevia LCD TV.
Client 2/Front Room - Shuttle ST61G4 XPC 1gig ram, 60gb HD, BTC9019 wireless keyboard/mouse & Harmony 880. 6.x client. GF6600GT driving a Sony WEGA 55" rear projection tv.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac
I hate that. Ive always wanted an option to "stop recording, but save file".

thought it was just me...
Look at swinging watch.....relax...you are feeling very sleepy...3...2...1.

When you awake, you will have an irresistable urge to switch to SageMC. You want to use it....You have to use it.....It even has the feature you want.

Oh, and you'll squawk like a chicken whenever you read or hear the word 'decoder'.

When I count to three you awake feeling refreshed.....1...2...3.

Oh, Hi there. Don't you have some upgrading to do?

Aloha,
Mike
Old 09-11-2006, 09:20 PM
Sage Icon

decoder decoder decoder decoder decoder decoder decoder decoder decoder!

Hehe
Old 09-12-2006, 11:19 AM
Sage Advanced User

squawk squawk squawk !