SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-22-2006, 09:55 AM
Sage Fanatic

Cheap HTPC for HDClient?

I'm currently running an MVP as my connection to my SageTV server, but am tempted to enter the HD OTA world. My server doesn't have the horsepower to transcode HD to the MVP, and besides my HDTV ready TV is crying to be used for HDTV quality signals!

What I was thinking is this.. could I build a PC cheaply enough to use in my bedroom running SageTV Client so that I could watch the HD recordings in HD quality? A HDTV Tuner box looks to be $200 or more, which would let me see HD OTA, but not recorded via Sage.. I'd rather do it through SageTV.

So I would like suggestions and/or recommendations to make this possible.. what I would like to build is the thinnest SageTV Client PC that I can to run HD to my TV in the highest quality possible (componant?).

Does somebody make such a device.. I build pc's all day long, so I'm not afraid of the hardware, if somebody could recommend the 'guts'..

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2006, 11:32 AM
Sage Advanced User

I think the most important things are the video card and the network.

Network should be wired. HD streaming over wireless will be tough. I think you need about 19Mbps of solid network. (If you can't run Cat5, you could try some of these 85Mbps powerline adapters because they offer more consistent bandwidth than wireless although average throughput might end up being around the same).

Video card.... If you're trying to build a thin client, you're probably looking at onboard video. At this point, the best you could possibly do with onboard video is a Geforce 6150, which is acceptable, but will not be able to handle very high resolutions (1080p content). If you can make a little more space in your case, you can try to put in a silent Nvidia 7600GT (ASUS makes a fanless one). I believe there are some newer 80nm-based nvidia cards coming out with HDCP-enabled HDMI outputs, which are more forward-looking.

CPU/RAM --> 3Ghz equiavalent with 512MB should handle it.

I was looking at one of these, but I don't think the Intel GMA950 can handle HD that well (http://minipc.aopen.com/us/spec.htm) Not to mention they're expensive for what you're getting.

Oh yeah... and you have to see what video inputs your TV has. VGA/DVI/HDMI/Component?

I've actually recently considered using a laptop to do this. The main issue is the video card and the video outputs.

Last edited by emok; 08-22-2006 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:27 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by emok
I think the most important things are the video card and the network.

Network should be wired. HD streaming over wireless will be tough. I think you need about 19Mbps of solid network. (If you can't run Cat5, you could try some of these 85Mbps powerline adapters because they offer more consistent bandwidth than wireless although average throughput might end up being around the same).

Video card.... If you're trying to build a thin client, you're probably looking at onboard video. At this point, the best you could possibly do with onboard video is a Geforce 6150, which is acceptable, but will not be able to handle very high resolutions (1080p content). If you can make a little more space in your case, you can try to put in a silent Nvidia 7600GT (ASUS makes a fanless one). I believe there are some newer 80nm-based nvidia cards coming out with HDCP-enabled HDMI outputs, which are more forward-looking.

CPU/RAM --> 3Ghz equiavalent with 512MB should handle it.

I was looking at one of these, but I don't think the Intel GMA950 can handle HD that well (http://minipc.aopen.com/us/spec.htm) Not to mention they're expensive for what you're getting.

Oh yeah... and you have to see what video inputs your TV has. VGA/DVI/HDMI/Component?

I've actually recently considered using a laptop to do this. The main issue is the video card and the video outputs.

Thank you for the reply.. I'm trying to do this for about the cost of a STB HDTV Tuner.. easier to justify in my mind..

Initially this unit would be wired, but I'll need a wireless one at some point, but perhaps there will be better wireless at that point.. easy enough to test though. I've got a micro-atx motherboard already and have found a micro case for about $70.. I have RAM.. I Figure a 3ghz P4 will run me about $100.. so I'm at about $170 already.. the video card will be the killer..

My current HDTV Ready TV's don't have DVI or HDMI inputs, they have Componant, Svideo, Analog 15-pin mini D-sub and composite...

Can DVI be converted to componant? Or.. can a DVI-VGA adapter be used? My TV claims to support 1080i through it's VGA port?? I have the Viewsonic N2050W

Last edited by Stuntman; 08-22-2006 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman
Thank you for the reply.. I'm trying to do this for about the cost of a STB HDTV Tuner.. easier to justify in my mind..

Initially this unit would be wired, but I'll need a wireless one at some point, but perhaps there will be better wireless at that point.. easy enough to test though. I've got a micro-atx motherboard already and have found a micro case for about $70.. I have RAM.. I Figure a 3ghz P4 will run me about $100.. so I'm at about $170 already.. the video card will be the killer..

My current HDTV Ready TV's don't have DVI or HDMI inputs, they have Componant, Svideo, Dsub9 and composite...

Can DVI be converted to componant?
You'd need to get a special transcoder to convert to component because DVI/HDMI are digital and component/RGB are analog. The closest you could do is RGB-->component, but I believe the colors will be off because component is expecting a different color format.

A better thing might be to go with a ASUS Geforce 6150 (built in video with component bracket (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131014) for $85 and an AM2 sempron for $50. This setup would require DDR2 memory.

If you already have DDR memory and don't want to get DDR2, you can go with this MSI board (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130529) $85 and an A64 for about $65.

You wouldn't need to buy a video card (at least initially) and the boards above have DVI AND component brackets.

EDIT: From another thread (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...95#post8231495), I found that there is also DVI-A (analog). Bottom line, there should be ways to get from any video output to the component inputs of your TV. But the easiest would be if your HTPC already has component outputs.

Last edited by emok; 08-22-2006 at 03:22 PM.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:41 PM
Sage Fanatic

Hi,

Does the board you already own have a PCI-x16 slot or an agp slot? If it is PCI-x16 then go for a 7600gt, if agp then a 6600gt. Either card will run about $130 and will come with a component adapter.

My HD client uses a 6600gt (agp ) and feeds a panny plasma via component. It looks great and it was a piece of cake to set up. And yes, a P4 3.0 will get it done fine.

Jesse

Last edited by Jesse; 08-22-2006 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:53 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse
Hi,

Does the board you already own have a PCI-x16 slot or an agp slot? If it is PCI-x16 then go for a 7600gt, if agp then a 6600gt. Either card will run about $130 and will come with a component adapter.

My HD client uses a 6600gt (agp ) and feeds a panny plasma via component. It looks great and it was a piece of cake to set up. And yes, a P4 3.0 will get it done fine.

Jesse
The board is a micro-atx board with AGP.. it is a year old now and was a good 'deal' but it never left the box

I figure if I could get a video card will run me about $130, a case for about $80 and a CPU about $100.. I have the other 'stuff' sitting around to complete the unit.. so for about $300 I should be able to get a fully functional HTPC to run SageClient in HD! Oh.. yeah, guess I need a HD capture card.. and antenna!!! Dang..

So much for doing it cheap!

There is always the $13 a month HD PVR from Time-Warner!
Old 08-23-2006, 12:36 AM
SageTVaholic

You might also look at the 7600gs. I haven't been keeping track so I don't know how it compares to the 6600 in performance or price.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:14 AM
Sage Advanced User

Is your board a Socket 478 or LGA 775? If you have the LGA775, I'd strongly consider a Pentium D 805 (cheapie dual core). You'd also probably want a quiet CPU fan ~$30-40.

Also, as for video cards. I'm not as familiar with what ATI has to offer. From an nvidia perspective, I think the suggestion is for the 7600GT mainly because of this: http://www.nvidia.com/page/purevideo_support.html. This may or may not just be marketing jumbo (HD inverse telecine support), but the 7600GT and up is the card that nvidia claims to support all their purevideo features.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:01 PM
Sage Fanatic

Hi,

I agree Emok, the 7600GT is the way to go, but I have not yet seen one available in AGP. I have heard lots of rumours but I have not seen one. If you know of one available in AGP please post that info and I will be all over it!!!

Jesse
Old 08-23-2006, 03:27 PM
Sage Icon

LeadTek Article

That's all google found for me; it might not be loose in the wild yet. Article is dated mid last month.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:26 PM
Sage Fanatic

hemi,

Thanks for the lead. I will be watching and hoping.

Jesse
Old 08-30-2006, 03:33 PM
Sage Fanatic

7600GT AGP at New Egg 9/5/06

Boooha ha ha

Looks like new egg will be getting this baby in next week!

7600GT 256MB AGP: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814122009

I am already on the autonotify list.

Jesse

Last edited by Jesse; 08-30-2006 at 03:34 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-01-2006, 12:59 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Boooha ha ha

Looks like new egg will be getting this baby in next week!

7600GT 256MB AGP: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814122009

I am already on the autonotify list.

Jesse
It's in stock! I'm in for one
Old 09-01-2006, 01:22 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Hi,

I agree Emok, the 7600GT is the way to go, but I have not yet seen one available in AGP. I have heard lots of rumours but I have not seen one. If you know of one available in AGP please post that info and I will be all over it!!!

Jesse
So, what does it buy me that a 6600 doesn't from an HTPC perspective?
Old 09-01-2006, 04:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

look here:

http://www.nvidia.com/page/purevideo_support.html

In short, Inverse Telecine and Bad Edit correction for HD content.

I don't know what that exactly means, though.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:41 PM
Sage Fanatic

According to http://www.nvidia.com/page/pvhd_fb.html

Inverse Telecine (3:2 & 2:2 Pulldown Correction)
Recovers original film images from films-converted-to-video (DVDs, 1080i HD content), providing more accurate movie playback and superior picture quality.

Bad Edit Correction

When videos are edited after they have been converted from 24 to 25 or 30 frames, the edits can disrupt the normal 3:2 or 2:2 pulldown cadence. PureVideo uses advanced processing techniques to detect poor edits, recover the original content, and display perfect picture detail frame after frame for smooth, natural looking video.