SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Linux Discussion related to the SageTV Media Center for Linux. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Linux should be posted here.

Old 08-21-2006, 10:22 AM
Sage User

Upgrading SageTV without re-installing OS?

I have SageTV 4 working rock solid with the original Gentoo distro, but the new one hangs during the kernel build. (It seems to spin down the disk and CD then take a nap - the OS itself isn't hung, but even after an hour on my P4 (2.8 GH) system, it doesn't seem to make any progress. Weird).

Since I don't care about the version of the OS, I was wondering if there are any instructions for upgrading *just* SageTV from v4 to v5, without having to re-install everything...

-Judy
Old 08-21-2006, 11:13 AM

Send a message via ICQ to _Demo_
To use the new version it is highly recommended to use a newer version of ivtv which needs a more recent kernel.

Is it possible that the kernel builds run out of memory? If you are keeping the old partitions you could try to use the swapspace by doing swapon /dev/xyz with the old swap partition.

_Demo_
Old 08-21-2006, 11:46 AM
Sage User

I didn't think of that, but its got 512 MB of memory, which is more than the min spec... Guess I need to run it through memtest86. I have a stick of 256 MB I can throw on, too, for good measure.

I have an old P3 system that I also tried and it does the same thing. Tried different Hard Drive, CDROM/DVD, motherboard, *and* CPU. Running out of ideas!

Guess I'll try downloading and burning a new install CD - you never know.

Thanks for the suggestion, though. Please keep 'em coming - I'm determined to beat this thing! Grr!

-Judy
Old 08-28-2006, 12:13 PM
Sage User

compile does take a long time

Hello,
I've installed Gentoo on my machine many times trying to get Sage to work and I have a 1GHz with 256 RAM and a 120 GB HD. This isn't an upgrade, but a clean install. The install takes at least 2 hours to complete every time. The progress bar hangs in the middle at kernel compile time it looks like nothing is happening but I suspect the gremlins are working in the background because at 2 hours its all done.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:05 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the encouragement. I finally gave up and installed Sage v4 instead, but I think I might try again this weekend, now that I know the kernel can take that long to compile. Maybe I'll just ignore it for a few hours. Who know, if I stop obsessing, it just might work!

-Judy
Old 08-28-2006, 06:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

I had same trouble installing Sagetv with Gentoo 2006. Fedora worked better for me.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:33 AM
Sage User

Re.

I don't think the gentoo installer information is up to date. Honestly you should just do a regular gentoo install, then once you get the system up and running do the sagetv install (although don't use the script just go through it manually).
Old 09-20-2006, 06:04 AM
Sage Advanced User

I attempted to install the version 5 beta several times on several different platforms and finally gave up. My version 4 is working and from the release dates on the linux side its clearly not a well supported method of installation.