SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-05-2006, 09:05 AM
SageTVaholic

Alright tell me why this wouldn't work (requires changes in Studio):
  1. Set up code (delete listener maybe?) to retrieve the favorite information and the tuner currently recording the favorite and hold onto said information.
  2. Delete the favorite from the system.
  3. Loop (fork & wait loop maybe?) until the tuner shows that it isn't recording the favorite anymore - should be real fast.
  4. Based on how far into the show the current time actually is - add the favorite back as either watched - if Sage would then just start the recording up again immediately (think this would happen if too close to begining) or as unwatched if sufficently close to the end of the favorite.
  5. If added as watched have option to mark the favorite as unwatched after the favorite has ended with a Fork & Wait combination.
I've done this manually when I've wanted to stop the recording to reboot the server for maintenance and I don't want the recording to just start up again after the reboot.

BobP.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:19 PM
Sage User

Thank you O wise one. This does make sense now... Yep I was still playing back the file. I will try it again with the futbol today, since I am placing 120min stop padding on it.

But because the football was still being watched on the MVP, and if you were still in the time period covered by the scheduled favorite, it would still be being recorded - because you were still watching it...

If you had first stopped playback on the MVP, the setting of Watched would work no matter where you did it...

Btw I do change both increase and reduce the stop padding on my favorite on the fly if I am time shifting and realise that OT is occurring. This seems to work great.

However, If I do pad the stop time I get the game with the O.T. in a single file, however I also get the next program fully recorded as another file.

A variation on this is I once got a truncated file (no OT) but a second file named the next program on that channel and it had the OT at the first.

thx for all,
fd
Old 07-05-2006, 08:08 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds23
Because when she saw SpongeBob was on, she immediately hit the manual record, then she realized the second 15 min segment of SpongeBob was one she already had. She then wanted to keep the first 15 mins, SAVE (can't do that), and then cancel/STOP from there (the second 15 mins). The guide will say it is SpongeBob from 0800-0830, but in that time period there are 2 15 min SpongeBob episodes. You would be able to record first, STOP/SAVE so the second episode of SB is just canceled/deleted if there were such functionality...Basically it would start recording when you hit record, and stop when you hit record (referring to manual recordings that is)

In MCE you hit Record (Manual) when you want to record, when you are to a point you no longer want to record, hit the record button again and it stops recording and saves what it has recorded. Pretty simple.. Oh, and BTW..I got in trouble over this..my daughter just turned 9!! LOL Oh man, I screwed up there!

I am not bashing Sage here...I really like Sage so far, but with ALL the PVR sollutions I have tried you could hit RECORD to start a manual recording, and then hit RECORD or STOP and it would stop the recording and save what you manually recorded...NOT delete it.. I am still kinda blown away at the approach Sage is using with this feature..just my .02...
Sounds like you may enjoy this property:
seeker/clear_partials_and_unwanted_when_ir_off

If you set that to false I believe it would keep that SpongeBob recording. Not sure though I haven't had that property set to false in a long time.

Old 07-06-2006, 01:50 AM
SageTVaholic

jds23: thanks for the extra detail
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxMox
Sounds like you may enjoy this property:
seeker/clear_partials_and_unwanted_when_ir_off

If you set that to false I believe it would keep that SpongeBob recording. Not sure though I haven't had that property set to false in a long time.

[/B]
(that setting is also in detailed setup/advanced/"Delete LiveTV when not using intelligent recording")...

It would keep it on disk, but no matter what the setting of that option, if only a portion of the show was recorded, it would be considered a 'partial' recording, and would not show up in the Sage recordings menu... (it would show up in my delete partials import).

You could report this as a bug, that if a manual recording is cancelled by the user, it should never be labelled as a 'partial recording'...

In this example, whats the problem with leaving Sage to record both episodes (unless she wanted to record something else on another channel)...
Old 07-06-2006, 02:01 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds53
I am still kinda blown away at the approach Sage is using with this feature
Just to explain what causes the 'feature'...

All other PVR solutions use a fixed buffer for liveTV, Sage does not. Therefore, when channel surfing live TV, Sage will record everything to disk in separate files. (this has some major advantages, such as the ability to hit record in liveTV and keep everything viewed so far, plus if you channel skip, the 'file/buffer' is not cleared immediately, so if you skip back, you can still rew into what you have already seen, plus, there is no buffer to reach the end of!)

There is no point in showing all the 5 second segments of channel surfed TV shows in Sage Recordings, so there must be a way of differentiating between a full complete recording of a live TV show (which you may want to keep), and a partial recording (which should be the first thing to be deleted when space is needed).

Therefore Sage knows what is a partial recording and what is not... Cancelled half-finished manual recordings and favorites are also considered 'partials' and so are hidden... This could be considered a bug (hence my comment above!)
Old 07-06-2006, 06:27 AM
Sage Icon

I think the current BTV version stopped using fixed buffer also.

Is it impossible to implement a STOP RECORDING feature in SageTV? I don't think so. SageTV just need to add it. I mean there's a CANCEL THIS RECORDING button for Manual recordings. This button just needs to be added to the Favorites recording option also. And when cancelled, don't delete the recording. SageTV should mark where it was stopped and maybe add a (P) icon to it to indicate its a partial recording, and still keep it in the SageTV Recordings menu. Maybe it'll be added in the next SageTV 6.0 release... one can hope.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:42 AM
Sage Expert

Add me to the list of people who wants to be able to save "partial" recordings - just like with Tivo and every other PVR I've used. I'm not suggesting Sage would be better off with a revolving buffer, just that this is something that should be able to be easily implemented even with the way Sage's current "buffer strategy" works.

In the two weeks or so I've been using Sage, I've already looked for this feature and wondered why it wasn't there a half dozen times already. For instance, I'm flipping past 60 minutes and see an interesting segment. I hit record. When that segment's over I want to move on to something else but have to either wait until the whole show is over or have Sage delete the segment when I cancel the recording. This doesn't make any sense.

Or I've setup a sports recording to go an hour or more long with padding, just in case of overtime, long games, etc. I check in after a while and see that the game's over but my recording's got a half hour to go. If I cancel it now, I lose the whole game.

For the record, I don't really view the plugins available (or changing a setting to not clear any partial recordings) as viable options - at least not the way I understand them to work. Having a monster list of every single item that's been saved while watching live tv and flipping through the channels for a few minutes at a time, and having to search through that whole list in order to find the recording that I actually told Sage to record, is no better than the current options.

How about a simple addition where hitting "Cancel Recording" (or the Stop button in places where this would actually cancel - like manual recordings?) would pop up a box asking if you'd like to save the portion that's already been recorded? Or have it just save anything that's intentionally been recorded (manual/favorite) by a user with an indication that it's partial - like was mentioned above? Live TV would still be cleared out automatically the same way it currently is. Similarly, if i try to change channels and it needs to move a tuner off of a current recording (whether manual or favorite) in order to do so, when it pops up a box asking if I want to stop recording the show in order to change the channel, I should also have the option here of saving the already recorded portion. (Or, again, just have it automatically save it and mark it as partial...)

If I had ANY proficiency with Studio, this is the very first thing I would try to modify. I can't imagine it'd be that difficult, and don't understand why someone hasn't done it already.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by popechild
If I had ANY proficiency with Studio, this is the very first thing I would try to modify. I can't imagine it'd be that difficult, and don't understand why someone hasn't done it already.
It's not possible. There is no way to tell the difference between a partially recorded airing due to a cancelled recording, and a partially recorded airing due to live TV channel surfing. There is also no way to tell Sage that it should keep partials other than:
  • setting them as manual recordings, which would continue the recording while the airing is still in progress
  • the Detailed setup option which is precicely for this purpose..
Old 07-06-2006, 02:36 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielm
It's not possible. There is no way to tell the difference between a partially recorded airing due to a cancelled recording, and a partially recorded airing due to live TV channel surfing. There is also no way to tell Sage that it should keep partials other than:
  • setting them as manual recordings, which would continue the recording while the airing is still in progress
  • the Detailed setup option which is precicely for this purpose..
How about this...when I press that shiny new "Stop Recording" button it could ask "Would you like to keep the partially recorded program?" If yes, save the file to Recordings with proper info and title. If no, act as it does currently.

If I channel surf I never press "Stop Recording" and it could act as it does currently.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
For instance, I'm flipping past 60 minutes and see an interesting segment. I hit record. When that segment's over I want to move on to something else but have to either wait until the whole show is over or have Sage delete the segment when I cancel the recording. This doesn't make any sense.
There ya go. That's what I've been trying to say for months. Could not have said it better myself. Sometimes I like to record a short segment for the wife to see later on if I'm watching.

Can't believe this thread is still going. I ask this question months ago. Hopefully someone could come up with a solution. Wish I could figure it out to contribute. Oh well, I'm not technically inclined.
SageTV 4.1 / JVC Analog TV 27"/ 2.93G speed Computer/ 512mb Ram/ Pvr-150 / 45 Hauppage remote / Verto GeForce FX 5500 128mb svideo out/ Dishnetwork 501 box/VideoRedo Plus/ShowAnalyzer/DVDStyler Free Mpeg to Dvd recorder
Old 07-06-2006, 04:06 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolt
How about this...when I press that shiny new "Stop Recording" button it could ask "Would you like to keep the partially recorded program?" If yes, save the file to Recordings with proper info and title. If no, act as it does currently.

If I channel surf I never press "Stop Recording" and it could act as it does currently.
Exactly. Sage may not be able to tell by looking at a partial file whether or not it was from live surfing or from a cancelled recording, but I would think that at the moment of cancelling, Sage could be told to keep the file and treat it like a normally recorded show that's just missing segents, right?
Old 07-07-2006, 04:58 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Quote:
Sage could be told to keep the file and treat it like a normally recorded show that's just missing segents, right?
There is no way of doing this in studio... As I mentioned above, there is no way in studio of telling the difference between a partial from channel skipping, and a partial from a canceled recording.

Last edited by nielm; 07-07-2006 at 05:00 AM.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:22 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
There is no way of doing this in studio... As I mentioned above, there is no way in studio of telling the difference between a partial from channel skipping, and a partial from a canceled recording.
Replying to myself..

... but instead of cancelling a manual recording, you set it's stop time to 'Now', this should both stop recording, and keep the file in the recordings list... This could be incorporated into a more intelligent 'cancel recording' button.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:32 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Replying to myself..

... but instead of cancelling a manual recording, you set it's stop time to 'Now', this should both stop recording, and keep the file in the recordings list... This could be incorporated into a more intelligent 'cancel recording' button.
That is a great idea!
Old 07-08-2006, 08:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Replying to myself..

Quote:
That is a great idea!
Absolutely, and I'll try to incorporate this functionality into the next SageMC version ...
Thanks Niel for this neat info !

Dirk
Old 07-08-2006, 09:51 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by flachbar
Absolutely, and I'll try to incorporate this functionality into the next SageMC version ...
Thanks Niel for this neat info !

Dirk
Any chance of doing this as an import also so that us non SageMC'ers can use it too?

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2006, 11:25 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Quote:

Why not? Cox and Charter (from prior use), or other cable DVR providers have DVR boxes that have the simplicity of allowing the user to press Record/Stop/Delete/Save. This is the functionality I'm looking for. Something so simple as Pressing record, then stop and then asking me if I want to keep the recording or not. You say it's not possible, but yet other commercial PVR's I've had do this "no problem." It's hard to believe that sage can't be configured to do this. I'm with JDS23 and popechild and the others. Sage should implement this type of Record/stop/save/delete functionality.

Nothings impossible.

Last edited by craigap; 07-08-2006 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigap
Why not? Cox and Charter (from prior use), or other cable DVR providers have DVR boxes that have the simplicity of allowing the user to press Record/Stop/Delete/Save. This is the functionality I'm looking for. Something so simple as Pressing record, then stop and then asking me if I want to keep the recording or not. You say it's not possible, but yet other commercial PVR's I've had do this "no problem." It's hard to believe that sage can't be configured to do this. I'm with JDS23 and popechild and the others. Sage should implement this type of Record/stop/save/delete functionality.

Nothings impossible.
What they're saying is since everything is a recording (no buffering is being done like on the DVRs you're referencing) is that everytime you would change the channel (or channel surf) you would receive that dialog box to "stop/save/delete " the recording. Do you see why now they are saying it's impossible? The DVRs have implemented a completely different way of operating (buffer versus always a file recording) compared with Sage and both having pros and cons.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:05 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky
What they're saying is since everything is a recording (no buffering is being done like on the DVRs you're referencing) is that everytime you would change the channel (or channel surf) you would receive that dialog box to "stop/save/delete " the recording. Do you see why now they are saying it's impossible? The DVRs have implemented a completely different way of operating (buffer versus always a file recording) compared with Sage and both having pros and cons.

Gerry
All would care about is being able to press "stop" and have that action trigger Sage to ask me "stop/save/delete?" When channel flipping...because I didn't manually press stop...it wouln't trigger.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:40 PM
Sage User

I have had a similar problem as follows: both tuners a recording shows and I want to watch/record a third show instead of one of the two currently being recorded. If I browse to the show I want to watch/record in the program guide and select it, I get the message saying do I want to stop recording show #1 and watch this show instead. However, let's say that in fact I don't want to cancel recording show #1, but instead want to cancel recording show #2 on the other tuner... there's no way to do this. If I choose "Cancel" when prompted to stop recording show #1, it just takes me right back to the program guide and doesn't watch/record my chosen show. There's no option to stop recording show #2.

Very annoying and big WAF minus.